Skip to content

Discuss This Donington Park WSB: Rea takes controversial race win World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Donington Park WSB: Rea takes controversial race win

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Donington Park WSB: Rea takes controversial race win

Honda rider Jonathan Rea has won an eventful second race at Donington Park in a race which saw plenty of aggresive overtaking from all the front runners. Rea was fourth at the start of the final lap, with Leon Haslam at the front. Marco Melandri attempted to pass Haslam going into the Melbourne Loop, but ran wide, while Rea passed Max Biaggi...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 May 2012 16:37)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Doug66

Feb 06

Doug66 says:

B loody M assive W ipeout

Team orders - no such thing. YET!!!! Melandri late braking on every corner (Redgate awesome). Haslam forces into every apex esses,loop. You could feel the tension track side,anticipating a problem, hoping none. Johnny picks up the pieces. Brilliant day out.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Damn straight Pacey

You uttered my thoughts to a tee. That race drove home Cal's contention that there simply is no margin for error in MotoGP unlike WSBK. Great action though and whilst gifted the win, for Jonny it was also deserved. Marco should be receiving a lesson in Bavarian team etiquette from Beemer management I should imagine. That stunt was never going to come off without consequences.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Doug66

Feb 06

Doug66 says:

Push finish for MOTO GP

A novel idea would require all to stop 200 meters from the finish and push it the last bit. Draft in Haslam for a certain win.

Reply to this Topic
claymorestudio

Apr 08

Oh Dear Rea

Superb racing today and such a shame it ended so badly for BMW  personally i think Melandri needs a slap as he was out of control many times in the race and his reckless riding robbed Leon Haslam of his 1st win for BMW very clever indeed!

Melandri also did 2 warm up laps at the start of the race 1 unlike all the other riders (get more warmth in his tyres? Hmmmmm) so why not take his 1st place off him.

BMW should certainly give him a good talking to.

As for J Rea  ok he didn't do it on purpose BUT he could have given Leon a bit of room (he hit Leon not the other way round) 

Was today racing best WSB this season  YES  makes Moto GP look like BMX's

Reply to this Topic
phinmac

Nov 08

phinmac says:

Wow

ABSOLUTELY THE CLASS OF BIKE RACING TO BE IN. Way better than SleepO GP. I just wish race two would have ended cleaner. I dont know about that one, wonder if the FIM is going to investigate. Didnt know bulldozers were made by Honda!

Reply to this Topic
cthwaites

Aug 02

cthwaites says:

Outstanding racing....what a mix of riders and racers. Recently I have stopped watching GPs live for the first time since 1995...it's all over at the hole shot. SBK, however,is tough gritty racing. I don't care much if GP is to WSB what a surgeon's scalpel is to a chainsaw....this is how racing is meant to be...hats off to some vey gritty and determined racing.

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

Fantastic day of racing!

I don't think I scream at the tv during a WSBK race like that since Imola 2002 watching Colin, Bayliss, and Xaus! Leon was denied in the 2nd race but that's racing. If it wasn't Marco taking the lunge it would have been Biaggi or Rea. You just know whoever was in 2nd was going to have a go at the last corner - you could feel it was going to go down to the last corner. I can't blame Marco for wanting the double - if he would have actually ran into Leon then I could blame him but he didn't. When Leon went to close the door Rea was already there - it was a racing deal. It is what it is and I enjoyed watching it! Leon will get a "W" sooner rather than later.

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

WSBK vs MotoGP

First off let me state that today great fun and exciting. But I've been seeing a lot of people slagging off MotoGP. Yes, you don't see "action" like that during a MotoGP race. But let me point something out - the only reason we saw all the action was because of mistakes. Leon, Marco, Biaggi, and Rea were all running wide, going through the gravel trap, missing braking points, missing apexes, running off track through the dirt, etc. If they were in a MotoGP race they would have been lucky to finish 10th. You don't see the number of mistakes that you saw today in a MotoGP race and most definitely not by the guys running in the front. Jonny Rea ran wide and off track, was multiple seconds behind and caught up to the pack because they were tripping each other up. If this was MotoGP he would have been dead in the water wouldn't have had a prayer of catching the front runners after a mistake like that. The front runners today were making mistake after mistake lap after lap - you don't see that in MotoGP. Like I said, it was exciting and fun to watch but it was that way because of mistakes.

Reply to this Topic
YamahaRacer

May 12

YamahaRacer says:

This is what you call racing at its best MotoGP hold your head in shame ha ha.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Rawdawg

Exactly right. MotoGP is completely unforgiving of mistakes, WSBK is forgiving of mistakes to the same extent as Moto3. In Moto3 and WSBK the available variance in racing line is huge, in MotoGP it is centimetres. Comparing MotoGP with WSBK is like comparing something like F1 with sports car racing. Come to think of it the comparison is valid in more ways than one. Just like sports car racing WSBK is where the grand prix riders retire to when they can't cut it any more.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices