Skip to content

Discuss This Donington Park WSB: Rea takes controversial race win World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Donington Park WSB: Rea takes controversial race win

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Donington Park WSB: Rea takes controversial race win

Honda rider Jonathan Rea has won an eventful second race at Donington Park in a race which saw plenty of aggresive overtaking from all the front runners. Rea was fourth at the start of the final lap, with Leon Haslam at the front. Marco Melandri attempted to pass Haslam going into the Melbourne Loop, but ran wide, while Rea passed Max Biaggi...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 May 2012 16:37)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Andy_L

Sep 08

Andy_L says:

Some dark-suited German needs to come down from Munich, give Marco Melandri a slap and remind him who he works for.  Not one but two reckless moves in the last two corners, from much too far back to have any possibility of success - just because he couldn't stand to come second to his team-mate.  It's pretty clear he considers himself to be working for Marco Melandri alone, and not for BMW.

Reply to this Topic

Aug 02

1100970 says:

Back to the old WSB Races

This race was great for the sport, it`s just like foggy and company racing for the wn in the 90s. The chicane at assen just before the finish straight has seen loads of these last second overtaking issues, it`s what made the WSB a great series.

Last few years have been a bore but with fresh blood over the last couple of years it will make the series great again, keep it up.

Reply to this Topic
prawny72

Jan 11

prawny72 says:

FANTASTIC BATTLE, AND DESPITE WHAT WENT ON, WHO"S  FAULT THAT 2 RIDERS GOT SKITTLED

WE HAVE A BRIT IN 2ND PLACE IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP,  KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK TOM SYKES,  GREAT FOR KAWASAKI TOO,

Reply to this Topic
yzrm1

Jan 11

yzrm1 says:

rea

Some dark-suited German needs to come down from Munich, give REA a slap. for trying things he coudn't do. took down two bmw riders, with 0 point left for them. marco try but coudn't do it and went way outside, haslam was on cours.....then came dumb rea and alsmost SHOT haslam offcours and took melandri with him. The race was a THRILLER but rea just can't do it. and will never be able to be a top rider he should have gone for 3rd.

Reply to this Topic
kennygorrie

Jul 08

kennygorrie says:

Rawdawg

Rawdawg, the problem with motogp machines is they are so advanced, like f1, the riders need to be really silly to make mistakes, too much technology ruins the sport. I love motogp but I'm slowly but surely favouring wsbk for entertainment

Reply to this Topic
adrenalin

Jun 09

adrenalin says:

YZRM1...take another look at the laast two corners an you'll see that Rea wasn't at fault here. Melandri rode like a club racing amateur with an extreme caase of red mist, and came from far too far back to ever make the last corner cleanly.  The only way he was going to get around in front was to bounce off Haslam, and he moved over.  Someone of his supposed experience has raced at Donington for many years and should know that you can't do that at Goddards without running wide, so should have settled for a safe 2nd place and another BMW 1-2.

As it was he scuttled both riders chances of decent points and BMWS first double 1-2 ever in WSBK.  Someone at BMW should be giving Melandri a good kicking right now, or let Ron do it instead.

Jonathan Rea did what any other racer would do in he same circumstances. He saw a big gap open up and went for it. melendri tried to make a gap that simply wasn't there in the first place.

Melandri has had a lot of criticism recently from riders (including his ex team mate Laverty) about his overtaking methods, and making other riders sit up late in corners. This just adds to his poor reputation and he really should have known better.

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

Funny how..

no one seems to notice JR 'bouncing' of MM and MB during the race - he (JR) rode on the edge the whole race, exciting granted, but when it came down to the 'clean' overtakes he was not making them.

It reminds me of jerez and Rossi/Gibs - door open, rider from behind goes for a gap which was never going to be there. If Rossi / JR (in this case) didn't bounce off the other rider they would have run wide - it was lucky that Haslam was there to act as a brake for JR.

However, how fucking great was that!!!
2 blinding races that had it all. Just hope haslam gets his win soon!!!

Everyone thats defending MotoGP as being the elite sport 'riders so good, racing so close, cant make errors' blah blah are the same guys that knock F1 for being a procession - in fact the staunch defence used for MGP here is the same criticism leveled at F1...

Funny old game...

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

My view, FWIW, regardless of what happened between Melandri & Haslam, a door had opened for Rea to get through... in fact it was never closed... he still had 2 foot of tarmac to play with, & Leon had started to pick his bike up seeing Rea there, but Rea ran wide punting Leon off... both (all 3 actually) could have got round that corner IMO but Rea couldn't/didn't hold his line & hit Leon.

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

just an opinion

i have enjoyed Jonny Rea racing,but I have to say he does appear desperate at times, Its not the first time by any means he has been in this kind of situation ask Haga, a couple of seasons ago he was on the deck courtesy of Jon,but on the other hand it is racing and I cant entirely blame him for taking an opportunity when it appears but i do wish he would settle down a little he will never be a championship contender unless he does,Maybe he trys to hard to make up for the bikes shortfalls, but he was hardly smooth yesterday and if I were Haslam I would of cracked him one and said sorry afterwards ,I am sure Leon will stay on the inside of him for a while,a racing incident perhaps but credit to Leon for not flipping his lid, I would of had to blame someone and Jon would of been the recipient,but a great days racing none the less,best wsb for sometime

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

Technology kenny??

MotoGP bikes are more advanced than WSBKs yes but they don't brake by themselves at the exact braking marker every lap nor do they hit the apex in each corner lap after lap - the riders do. MotoGP is "more boring" not because of the more advanced bikes but because the riders make less mistakes.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices