Skip to content

Discuss This Donington Park WSB: Rea takes controversial race win World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Donington Park WSB: Rea takes controversial race win

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Donington Park WSB: Rea takes controversial race win

Honda rider Jonathan Rea has won an eventful second race at Donington Park in a race which saw plenty of aggresive overtaking from all the front runners. Rea was fourth at the start of the final lap, with Leon Haslam at the front. Marco Melandri attempted to pass Haslam going into the Melbourne Loop, but ran wide, while Rea passed Max Biaggi...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 May 2012 16:37)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

why all the crying??

It was good racing yesterday. If it wasn't Melandri who made a go at Leon it would have been Rea or Sykes or Biaggi or whoever was in 2nd. You can tell from the racing that it was going to come down to the last lap and last corner and whoever was in 2nd was gonna have a go at whoever was in 1st - it just happen to be Melandri and Leon. It was a fantastic day of racing with some of the best WSBK action I've seen in a while. If it was Leon who made the move on Melandri I have the feeling it would be more pats on the back and "well at least he tried" "he had a never say die attitude" "that's the bulldog fighting spirit" etc, etc. But since Leon was on the other end it's all let's get the torches and pitch forks and burn down someone's castle. I'm sure Leon will have his day in the sun but yesterday was not to be. That's racing and at least it wasn't the last race that was for the championship.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

What's acceptable and what's not.

I'm going to start by handing a bit of ammo to the detractors by saying I only saw the final 3 laps of race two. Nonetheless for those that say Jonny is a little wild I will counter with the following.

I have no problem with a little argy bargy and 'leveraging' a slightly ajar door properly open as long as there's room for the rider on the outside to also safely complete the turn. Most of what I've seen of Joony is this type of aggressiveness. Not the knuckleheaded nonsense that Simoncelli was so adept at.

That final right onto the start finish straight at Donny is pretty flat if I'm right and has always been a nasty little bugger for riders to negotiate. Melandri's lunge was never going to see him take the corner. He took himself right out of the equation and Haslam off the racing line too. This gave the line to Rea. Leon turned back from a far deeper point than would normally be expected leading to the collision with Rea.

O.K yeah it was a racing incident, but to my mind Melandri should have been more deferential to the team. It was a dumb move driven by red mist which  perhaps would've been more forgivable if on another rider than Haslam.

But as Hodgson catergorically said on the telly the blame was most certainly on Melandri.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

You know what HArdly lean I was agreeing with your post

Until that final sentence, when Rossi immediately sprung to mind.

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

good comments?

Some sound comments from the likes of Chris011 and BH and some dumb comments from others.
As Chris said strange how nobody bothers to mention Rea barging Melandri earlier and that JR did exactly the same as Melandri as well but without any consequences so nothing was said.
These guys were battling hard most of the race and the adrenalin would have been flowing strongly.
Nostril I honestly thought you knew a little bit about bike racing but if you think Melandri was at fault then I must question your reasoning especially if you agree with Hodgson.Now he's not biased is he?

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

They were racing, each trying to win. No one got hurt, the racing was spectacular for us and exciting for the riders. I thought that's what it's about?

Reply to this Topic
IcantRIDEaBIKE

Aug 09

Nostro...

Were you watching the race in a mirror?

The final corner leading on to the start/finish is a Left hand hairpin! not a Right???.

PPatel...

I think the brits have proved themselves several times away from their 'home turf' this year and for many years past. I'm guessing you've suddenly discovered WSBK when you saw all the headlines about the Donington park round?

Reply to this Topic
IcantRIDEaBIKE

Aug 09

Who's at fault

No one! it's racing.

Looks like the American 'blame' culture that is spreading across the UK has now reached fans of racing.

Reply to this Topic
IcantRIDEaBIKE

Aug 09

Jonny Rea

Great ride, excellent pressure and some propper old school fairing bashing

Reply to this Topic
kennygorrie

Jul 08

kennygorrie says:

Rawdawg

Just like f1 cars don't break themselves and automaticaly hit the apex but wsbk boys have more wrestling to get there bikes into and out off corners, it's just simply too much technology

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Whoops left and right hemisphere's confused.

Of course it's a left. Didn't understand the nature of your comment 'I can't ride a Bike' , but I've been to Donny for world events around a dozen times, so am quite familar with the place thankyou, even if I have not ever ridden the track.

I dunno Benny. In your case more 'shoot and mouth' come to mind.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices