Skip to content

Discuss This Donington Park WSB: Rea takes controversial race win World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Donington Park WSB: Rea takes controversial race win

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Donington Park WSB: Rea takes controversial race win

Honda rider Jonathan Rea has won an eventful second race at Donington Park in a race which saw plenty of aggresive overtaking from all the front runners. Rea was fourth at the start of the final lap, with Leon Haslam at the front. Marco Melandri attempted to pass Haslam going into the Melbourne Loop, but ran wide, while Rea passed Max Biaggi...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 May 2012 16:37)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

motogprulez

Your usually a stand up guy...... but REALLY? _____"Melandri only had to settle for 2nd and let Haslam win at his home track." (???) _____ "Also if haslam had done the same would bmw have reacted differently?" _____ Errrrr No. BMW would of still blamed Rea who (if you were paying attention) did nothing wrong apart from execute Goddards the way it should be. Melandri gave Haslam a minimum of 6 feet if not 7 feet of room between the bikes as he went past. Haslam was on the fast line, not the racing line. He left way too much room and went way too deep to accelerate out of the turn. Marco gave Leon so much room he didn't lift at all really. Rea was a bit late to the apex but Leon should of covered it completely which he didn't. _____ Sorry dude but this one has me in too hot. I hope I don't do a Nostro and have a forum high side! LOL

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

jonnyrocket

You need to reinvestigate your accident investigation dude....... Ever been around Donington? Don't get me wrong I would of been "stoked" / "made up" / "thrilled" had Haslam won race 2. Ideal result for me but even so Melandri was no where near Haslam.... you could even accuse Leon of feeding him a dummy! What Leon didn't know was how well Rea had got out of the Melbourne loop let alone the fact he got past Biaggi at said corner. _____ Melandri may have been 4 bike lengths behind at the exit of the Melbourne loop but Rea was less than 4 bike lengths behind at the crest braking for Goddards! Leon blew it.... twice?

Reply to this Topic
marty1035

Aug 07

marty1035 says:

Rea = pillock

Reply to this Topic
COZ69

Nov 10

COZ69 says:

OUTSTANDING

Rea is a legend he had a great race at the end of the day it was just a race incident

in my eyes he is the one to watch keep it up my son!

Reply to this Topic
maazzz1

Aug 10

maazzz1 says:

Doesn't read like there is much objectivity going on in most of these comments… well said Willie and Chris. Seriously how can you guys put it on Melandri. Watch the video link which shows all the last lap. What I am seeing is that Melandri went for an all or nothing overtake on the last corner. Might have been wiser to settle for a BMW one, two with him coming second, but like he said he is a racer and went for it, he wanted to win and after all the first guy out there that that they are trying to beat is their team mate. The way I see it, Haslam was trying to brake late as he knew Melandri would go for it up the inside, he over cooked it slightly and he was riding a line slightly wider than the others – as willie said the fastest line. He wasn’t pushed off his line by Melandri at all. It was the line he chose and if anything sold Melandri a magnificent dummy. Rea saw a gap and went for it, however it is worth saying that he came from a lot further back than Melandri did. The unfortunate thing is, that with the corner speed that Rea was carrying it could only end up one way; a block pass. Sure Haslam closed in but he had to to get around the final corner and what he thought was the win on the line he wanted to take. What he was not expecting was dumb and dumber (Rea) to also have gone for the dummy sold to Melandri. Watch it in slow motion in the last part of the clip. The mechanics are that Rea hit him with a fair bit of speed and force and it looks like Rea was going to go well wide himself until he hit Haslam which straightened him up.

Does that make Rea a villain though? He was riding hard all race and swapped paint with Melandri and Biaggi. I reckon anyone of the four front runners the way they were racing would of gone for it as Rea did. Rea was probably too far back to pull it off cleanly though. In any case if Haslam and Rea could share a beer at the end of the day in their motorhome then I am not sure what all the carry on here is about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgyxA5i9nfI

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY (2):

Over @ Kawasaki – the marque hasn’t figured in WSBK since the glory days of 1993 – 2000. Anyone remember - Scott Russell (WSBK Champ in 1993 & 2nd in 94) - “Go Show”, Anthony Gobert, who got the Pole,1 x Win & 3rd in his astonishing WSBK debut in 1994 as a “wild card” & then went-on to get another 5 x Wins & 3 x Podiums - despite missing most of the 1996 season - Simon Crafar (4 x 2nds & 6 x 3rds, a Pole & Fastest lap in 1996 & 97) - & - the smiling Samurai, Akira Yanagawa ( 3 x Wins & 20 x Podiums 1997-2000)? A long time between drinks...

The “new” ZX-10R back in 2010 was a superb 1 x Litre road “Superbike” – & should have been too - developed as the basis for the big ‘ K’s fresh, new tilt @ WSBK with Chris Vermeulen on board. Light, very fast & powerful, with a superb TC system - it has chrome/moly & nitrided camshafts & 2 x mm“offset-cylinders” - to increase “push” on the crank & minimise lateral force (side thrust) & frictional losses -while enabling lighter, shorter pistons (3,5mm shorter skirts) & lower tension piston rings. K claim this alone cuts piston loads by 18% @ 5K & 21% @ 10K rpm - while reducing power/frictional losses by 3% - & allowing more timing & tuning possibilities. It seems to all work, eh? Vermeulen was very unlucky – getting career-killing, badly injured (as has his replacement, the Spaniard, Lascorz) & then serially injuring the same knee again & enough to lose the ride - but Tom Sykes has done really well on it. Good on him!

Tom Sykes got 7 x Top 10’s in 2010 & 11 more + a Win in 2011 - but 2012 has seen the Kawasaki ZX-10R in full-flower. Sykes has 3 x 3rds, 2 x 2nds & 1 x Win so far – with an admirable 4 x Poles & 2 Fastest Laps. He is a narrow 2nd in the Championship on points. Joan Lascorz got 17 x Top 10’s in 2011 & 2 x more in 2012, B4 that awful crash that broke his neck. Get well soon, JL.

In case anyone thinks all this isn’t that BIG a deal from these 2 manufacturers – please recall that Ducati (14 x Titles) & Honda (6 x Titles) have been in WSBK since Day 1 - 25 years ago! Suzuki finally conquered in 2005 (Troy Corser) after years failing & flailing about in the wilderness - same for Yamaha too - trying but failing all the way back to Colin Edwards in 1995-97, B4 taking the spoils on the cross-plane crank R1 with Ben Spies in 2009. Aprilia did fabulously well in 2011 (Max Biaggi too) as “new” WSBK boys - but having had very many years of GP experience with chassis & the 4 x Stroke RS3 “Cube” etc to draw-on. Even then, they stretched the Rule Book more than a tad (gear-driven cams) – as Ducati have done too (capacity advantage) to help achieve their success.

Now, any one of no less than 5 marques is perfectly capable of WSBK Wins – & that’s bloody GREAT!

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY (1):

WSBK @ Donington certainly provided fireworks & clear indication of a new paradigm in the Series – the confirmed & definite arrival of BMW & Kawasaki as very real Championship contenders.

Even with variables of riding talent, BMW’s “progression” is obvious – out of the crate, the S1000RR having grunt & speed to match or beat anyone - but hampered by a frustrating ability to scarf-up its tyres. BMW’s initial objectives were modest (Top 10 finishes) & deliberately hiring riders with wildly differing styles (Corser, the ex-250cc smooth, precision maestro & Reuben Xaus an uninhibited wild man) to produce a machine anyone could ride & ultimately win on. They (BMW) were patient – they had to be!

Corser’s at times Sisyphean BMW travails, occasional pain & frustrations have really contributed to turn the S1000RR from interesting “sprinter” into serious, all-round machine that could finally go the distance without fading-away or slipping down the order as races progressed. When Leon Haslam arrived last year, the younger Brit quickly told Beemer head honchos exactly the same problem areas as that identified by Corser & complained about for the previous 2 years. Changes & development sped-up again as a result of this “independent” confirmation ...

So far in 2012, Leon Haslam has 3 x Podiums, including a 2nd – while Marco Melandri too is holding his end up with 1 x Win & 1 x 2nd. It could have been even better for both riders & BMW except for that fateful, last corner “dance of the desperates”@ Donington - but it is still early days & the season has a long way to run yet. BMW are now seriously impressive!

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Thanks Willie but not entirely true

Yes I was talking about the flat nature of the turn (Goddards) which you suggests falls off, as that is how those type of curves feel versus  a normal cambered one.

The point here which makes Melandri's lunge boneheaded to me is quite simple. If he thought he could brake later than the rest of them by 5-10 metres and make the turn then why the fook wasn't he doing it every lap?

Reply to this Topic
clarkson2197fsworldcouk

Feb 04

Pacey Casey Moaner

After all the post mortems it was a brilliant weekend of racing and there was more overtaking in the 2 WSB races than in a whole season of boring overtake less moto gp without doubt

in moto gp only crutchlow ignores the no overtake after 3 laps agreement they seem to have ?

(as a Donnington hater) i have to admit i had a brilliant weekend at the WSB

but i love all bike racing all of it

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

Pacey Casey Moaner

Enlighten me?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale