Skip to content

HONDA Senior citizen advice VT750 SHADOW

You are in... Forums > HONDA > VT750 SHADOW > Senior citizen advice

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Brian Ewing  says:

Senior citizen advice

I've been riding for many moons and currently ride a BMW 1150RT, but old age is catching up with me and I find that the BMW is just too big and heavy for everyday use. I am looking at buying a Honda 750VTS for commuting, breakfast rides with the guys, keeping out of my wife's hair and a bit of fun. What do...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (14 May 2012 17:12)

Post a message in VT750 SHADOW

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CaNsA

Jul 09

CaNsA says:

"What do you think?"

I think this isnt a Readers News Story and would be best asked on a motorbike forum.

Reply to this Topic
bikerred

May 05

bikerred says:

Honda NC 700

Reply to this Topic
bikerred

May 05

bikerred says:

Honda NC 700

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Depends

what type of rider you are. Based on your last choice , you are a used to having a high seat hight and travelling at "road speed". I would say , if you are looking for something lighter , get an enduro or something of that type. Given that you will be used to BMWs , honda do a good selection of bikes of that type but in a lighter frame. Suzuki have a smaller selection but they are well respected bikes. The V-Stroms seem quite chuckable. There is also the kawasaki Versys and the Yamaha XT.

But again , without knowing what you are like I couldn't really cast an opinion.

I would say take the V-Strom out a whirl. It seems like it fits the bill.

I've never ridden a cruiser like the VTS but chrome is not light and the long forks mean you will have a harder time cornering. If you want something light and fun , stay away from boring old cruisers!

Reply to this Topic
Jazixer

May 12

Jazixer says:

senior citizen

BMW have a good 800 model which is a comes with luggage or for something cheaper and light the XJ series is good VFM unless you can spring for a new R1 

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

Best bike ever

Honda Deauville NTV700 very reliable, very nice to ride but will need handle bar risers for comfort as throttle hand goes numb.

It's quick enough for motorways and has many safety features, with lots of luggage space, not the best on fuel around town but very good on a run.

But hey if you want fuel econemy we wouldn't ride bikes right!

Many complain about vibrations, but this can be reduced by cleaning out the air filter and not having it dripping with oil and giving it regular engine oil changes around 4/5 thousand miles not the recomended 8 thousand especially if mostly used in town.

It's a nice bike but with all bikes they have their down sides.

Reply to this Topic
Bikefar

May 08

Bikefar says:

Senior Citizens Rool OK!

Again, I agree with fly-by-night. I have a Deauville, it passed 112,000 miles last week and has a very nice nature. I live in the home counties and used to commute to Telford on it. Try and get one with big lids as spares for 'er indoors.

In Scandinavia, on a stop, an elderly German gentleman came up and we talked bikes. He had an RT but said he didn't ride to far on it having passed his 80th birthday.

The lady in the campsite had a Triumph which used to belong to her late husband. She passed her test so she could keep her late husband's bike on the road in his memory. Howzat??

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

Don"t make-up your mind quickly  , go around a few dealers and see if they will let you loose on a few different bikes . I have found a change of bike and / or type of engine can be a big risk  wether you will like it or could possibly live with it ! . A mate had the same problem with advancing age making him downsize . Having always had large bikes over 1000 c.c. he bought a new retro Triumph , but couldn"t live with the loss of power & constant gearchanges . He has gone half way & got a large cruiser but with a low seat height  and fairly good centre of  gravity . ME ! I have just cut back on the miles ,ride a outfit if it"s any distance , and realising on a solo , we will all have to retire from biking eventually .

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices