Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Would you let your child ride a motorcycle? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Would you let your child ride a motorcycle?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Would you let your child ride a motorcycle?

You ride a motorcycle and your child has asked if they can ride one too. Were you looking forward to this day? Is it hypocritical to say no? What would you say?   Would you let your child ride a motorcycle? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (14 May 2012 17:41)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

It worked for Casey Stoner

If the kid wants to do it, why not?

Get them started early and who knows they could be world champ one day.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

I'd say no

Because before they ride a bike, I'd want them to be mature enough to ignore me and do it anyway.

One of the most sensible, smart, level headed young riders that I know has just ridden smack into a van.  All young drivers and riders are a danger to themselves and others.  Cynically, I'd rather that my kids were in a cage when (not if) they have their first smash.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Plenty of kids

ride motorbikes (eg motocross) from a young age. I know plenty who were riding off-road from single figure ages who are now in their 30's, some took up bikes proper as they got older, some did the 50cc / 125cc at age 16 / 17 and dropped it in favour of a car. All still alive though.

Let them have a go, see how they get on with it, and take it from there.

Reply to this Topic
boro365

Oct 05

boro365 says:

I have 3 lads

The oldest now has a 2004 ZX10 middle one not interested youngest loves bikes comes to motogp every year and I would not stop him riding a bike why should i i believe they will ride as i do and did at there age safe

Reply to this Topic
busaman195

Aug 09

busaman195 says:

yes but not on the road until he has afew lessons first.would still be uneasy about it though.

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

It depends what they mean by child.seventeen is ok but if they mean under 10 then absolutely not.Very young children are still developing and are very vulnerable,also they dont have any fear ,a very bad combination.

Reply to this Topic
scratchnsniff24

Mar 11

Ain't got no kids yet

but when that day comes and after a few thousand more have passed... I think I'd be ok with it. Of course not having any I can only speculate as to my feelings at the time. However, my father rode, I ride, who am I to tell my child not to? I wouldn't put 'em on a Busa at a young-sh age but a much smaller bike'd be fine. They're young, they still bounce! When they're 16-17 and they've taken it upon themselves to get a cbt/licence, and they're spending their own money then by all means ride on little one!

Reply to this Topic
Ddod

May 12

Ddod says:

Yes

I just bought my 5 year old a PW50 after pondering the same question.  It has a screw to adjust max throttle and if it's out too much he tells me there's too much power. 

I don't think it's dangerous yet - goes almost as fast on pedal bike (which is on hard road) -and  think a quad is more dangerous because of weight.  In the future if he goes on bigger bikes,  yes sure to have parental concerns. Question is where does it stop,  what do you let them do - skiing,  swimming,  crossing the road?  Eventually they will get a bike anyway if they want. Or maybe it will be out his system by that age and won't be so desperate to try?

Reply to this Topic
maxiscooter

Sep 11

maxiscooter says:

Active Encouragement

It's a tradition in my family, grandfather rode as did my dad and brother. I have actively encouraged both of my sons to ride and bought a moped for them to ride at 16. My youngest has just turned 17 and I helped him choose a 125cc bike (which he bought with his hard earned cash) and ride with him once each weekend for a bit of coaching. He's quickly appreciated how to identify a hazard or potential hazard and when it's wise to ease off the throttle a bit and also when it's safe to ride to the speed limit. So my view is that it's better to support your child and give them some coaching than say no and they ride their mates bike without your knowledge.

Reply to this Topic
iainm

May 06

iainm says:

Yes

My wife and i both ride, my boy started on a Suzuki quad at 2 then a puch 50 at 5 and so on, when it comes to time for a road bike i will try keep him on dirt bikes and get him in a car only because of the traffic and road conditions but if that's what he really wants then i will at least make sure he uses good quality clothing etc.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle