Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Would you let your child ride a motorcycle? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Would you let your child ride a motorcycle?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Would you let your child ride a motorcycle?

You ride a motorcycle and your child has asked if they can ride one too. Were you looking forward to this day? Is it hypocritical to say no? What would you say?   Would you let your child ride a motorcycle? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (14 May 2012 17:41)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

Ya why not. Cars can be as dangerous. Just teach them to have some sense by taking them for rides with you. Then take them on novice track days thats what most our bikes were made for. Ride safely on the road and speed on track.

Reply to this Topic
tackyaccy

Dec 07

tackyaccy says:

I CAN'T

see what the problem is, anyone would think that motorcycling is dangerous, ridden properly they are as safe as anyting else. It's the stigma that the goverment and none bikers attach to motorcyling, they don't understand the joy of feeling freedom. I bought my son a Yamaha 125 and as soon as he passed his test I bought a Suzuki SV650s, sure he dropped it a couple of times but thats biking, all part of the learing curve . The younger the better thats my opinion.

Reply to this Topic
d0nkeychop

May 10

d0nkeychop says:

Yup

but then the household management would have something to say about it I reckon. That said, i'll be in no rush to get him on a powered machine, stick to push bikes, cheaper!!

Reply to this Topic
DaveyM

Aug 03

DaveyM says:

3 of my 4 kids ride, one has had a big off -not his fault, he got straight back on as he knew he hadn't done anything wrong and it wasn't the bike, just circumstance.

I was an instructor so made sure they were riding properly, with me anyway, and never had any worries

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Hmmm.

I must admit I'm slightly suprised at the number of people saying they wouldn't let their children do something they themslves do. It appears its ok however to put them behind a ton and a half of metal which will transfer injuries to vulnerable third parties outside of that vehicle?

Reply to this Topic
Preadator

Jan 12

Preadator says:

Look at it this way

Some people make me laugh! Think about it, at the moment the kids are probably travelling on the very same roads on cycles, without protective clothing and helmets etc. Probably dont have lights on their bikes and if they do they probably don't light the road up and are used just to be seen with at best. They have to ride in the gutter so lorries, cars and buses can pass them every few seconds, have to contend with vehicles pulling out on them at junctions every time they approach one. It's the most dangerous form of transport there is, but i bet everyone with kids gets them a push bike.Trust me, i was a club racer for years and put in hours or cycling every week and it was bloody dangerous.

At least on a motorcycle you have good protective clothing and helmet on, have good lights which allows you to see and be seen and you can ride in the middle of the lane without constantly getting pushed off of the road. I took up motorcycling after being a cyclist for years and will say its far safer if you ride sensibly. 

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

rogerborg

"All young drivers and riders are a danger to themselves and others" I'm now 20 and have been on the road since I was 17. I've had 3 crashes ( 1 serious 2 fairly minor) and NONE of them were my fault (My NCB stands testament to this) The majority of rider fatalities in the UK are aged 40+ on motorbikes over 600cc

Reply to this Topic
flipfly

May 12

flipfly says:

That's my nephew in the picture and he's loving his riding. I would never force a kid to ride, but if it's what they want to do then you should encourage them to do it safely.

He's now got a supported ride and is doing really well, he'd certainly show alot of riders a clean pair of heals on track!!

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Cyclonite

You've still been in 3 crashes, chap.  I'll bet my (old) lid that they were SMIDSYs which you failed to anticipate.  I don't particularly care whether my kids get mashed up through their fault or that of some codger in a cage, I just want them to be aware of their mortality before going jousting with Micra Man.

You're correct that the 40-49 age group make up the most casualties by number (Road Accidents and Safety Annual Report 2010, table RAS20002), and more 500cc+ bikes are involved in single-vehicle accidents (Motorcycle Casualties in reported road accidents: GB 2008).

However, read Clark 2004. It shows that the risk per rider drops off (sharply) after 35 years of age (page 30 figure 11). There are just a lot more of us around.

If you want to know where the real risk lies, it's 16 years old on 50cc peds, who are significantly over-represented compared to any other age or bike, even 17 year olds on 125+ bikes.

Reply to this Topic
mchale2020

Apr 12

mchale2020 says:

Sooner the better

If it was something he wanted to do, I wouldn't have any problem at all with it. Chances are if I'm riding and become a dad, my kid would probably have an interest for bikes as he grew up and I'd rather him develop the ability to ride on small bikes that aren't deadly 'fast' as opposed to try and pick up the hobby when he or she becomes older and learn how to ride on faster machines that could really get my kid hurt. Besides, it beats letting the kid's mind rot with video games and television and possibly have some time to bond as a parent.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle