I would let my son decide, he is 16 next month and mad about bikes. But then again bikes run in the family, my Dad and my Grandad right back to 1920. I've been on bikes for 40 years now but I would let my son know the facts before he decides if he wants a bike:
1. The UK police are useless, inept and don't care.
2. The NHS will kill you easily or make your injuries far worse after an accident.
3. The insurance companies will do everything they can not to pay out and not have your injuries diagnosed properly or even at all.
4. There are too many people on the road without a license.
5. There are too many people on the road who shouldn't have a license.
6. Road conditions are so shit you often need a works MotoXer rather than a normal street bike.
7. You will be treated with rank prejudice or like a martian because you ride a bike at most places where you go.
8. Someone will knock you off your bike at some time.
The good things are evident and thats why I still ride.. As someone else said on here, we were the original tarmac terrorists and yes we rode like complete and utter twats !!
Biker for life.