Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Would you let your child ride a motorcycle? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Would you let your child ride a motorcycle?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Would you let your child ride a motorcycle?

You ride a motorcycle and your child has asked if they can ride one too. Were you looking forward to this day? Is it hypocritical to say no? What would you say?   Would you let your child ride a motorcycle? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (14 May 2012 17:41)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eltomo

Dec 09

eltomo says:

no child of mine

ould get away without riding a motorcycle within weeks of being able to walk! riding a way of life in my house

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

Rogerborg -No...

Stop being a smart arse.

one was an attempt at insurance fraud on the white van mans behalf. - that or he's the stupidest c**t on the face of the planet. -pulled out in front of me from a line of parked cars and then stops. (please not the driver left the scene before i even got up)

the second was an impatient twit on a roundabout deciding its better to pull out in front of a motorcyclist and almost ram me into a lamppost 
(about 1 ft in it) than miss Eastenders.

The third was a car approaching a line of parked cars on HIS side of the road while i was riding along my side of the road opposite the parked cars- on my side of the road. the driver decides that he doesn't need to wait just because of a motorcyclist so tries to drive through me.

Reply to this Topic
bigjames

Oct 02

bigjames says:

Geez....

bought him one for Christmas...what any self respecting motorcycle riding parent would do. And if you are a motorcyclist and disagree, please sell your bike (as you really should not have one, since your kid can't, hypocrite), go get a Yugo and go rot somewhere in traffic...

Reply to this Topic
bigjames

Oct 02

bigjames says:

to Cyclonite...

Stats used by folks who do not understand them are dangerous. You actually read one of those pieces of sh, er work? Of course 16 year olds are 'over represented' as they are gaining experience therefore are not 'over represented' just making mistakes as they gain experience therefore are more prominent in the numbers. Same for ALL vehicles, even bicycles. So it makes sense, the more experience, the better the numbers. you must be a rocket scientist or something... I did stats for a really large insurance company in the US for about 20 years...could make those numbers pretty much show anything they wanted. It's really easy. Would go into a large discussion about them, but make me feel dirty...there is a word I prefer to use for stats - lies.

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

Stats

can be used to misrepresent information but the raw data is hard to manipulate.

Reply to this Topic
Kawasakifreak1

Aug 11

Cheating Children

New experiences are what make us what we are as individuals & civiliations.  To deny that due to fear is short-sighted & potentially damaging.

Reply to this Topic
ChimneyPortions

Oct 11

Goose

People seem to forget how they rode when they were young. In front of my parents I rode properly and took a training course but as soon as me and my friends got together we rode like idiots.

Everywhere we went was a race and we would regularly have to retrace our steps to find a missing friend in a field or hedge and help drag them out and get them back on the road. Pubs were more tolerant with underage drinking and drink driving was more acceptable back then but alcohol only made things worse.

Amazingly I'm in my mid forties and all my friends are still alive and most still ride bikes.

It would be a nightmare lying in bed on a night imagining my children acting as stupid as I was but I would still have to say yes as it was great fun and all that experience and crashing allowed me to ride a modern sportsbike for 25 years without ever being involved in an accident.

There again I don't have children, only three cats and they aren't allowed to leave the house.

Reply to this Topic
ChimneyPortions

Oct 11

HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

His choice.

I would let my son decide, he is 16 next month and mad about bikes. But then again bikes run in the family, my Dad and my Grandad right back to 1920. I've been on bikes for 40 years now but I would let my son know the facts before he decides if he wants a bike:

1. The UK police are useless, inept and don't care.

2. The NHS will kill you easily or make your injuries far worse after an accident.

3. The insurance companies will do everything they can not to pay out and not have your injuries diagnosed properly or even at all.

4. There are too many people on the road without a license.

5. There are too many people on the road who shouldn't have a license.

6. Road conditions are so shit you often need a works MotoXer rather than a normal street bike.

7. You will be treated with rank prejudice or like a martian because you ride a bike at most places where you go.

8. Someone will knock you off your bike at some time.

The good things are evident and thats why I still ride.. As someone else said on here, we were the original tarmac terrorists and yes we rode like complete and utter twats !!

Biker for life.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

No brats...

No brats here (whew!), but for street riding I would let them out on something like a Honda CRF230M or Suzuki TU250X (our choices in small street bikes in the US are very limited compared to what is available in Europe). Enough power to not always be in the way of cagers, but not so much that being stupid would get them killed right away.

There are all too many spoiled teenage brats here that mommy and daddy buy a super-sport or ever super-bike class moto; but then, thinning the herd of these may not be a bad thing. (No graduated licensing in much of the US - where I live you can take your test on a old 80cc Honda Elite, then legally ride off on a ‘Busa).

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices