Skip to content

Ask an Expert Refund On New Bike? Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Refund On New Bike?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

MarkT955

May 12

MarkT955 says:

Refund On New Bike?

Hi guys,

my son recently bought his first a bike,  brand new bike one (an AJS JSM125) from a local dealership (Harpers of Cowley) for £1700. He took delivery of it on the 17th of April, since then it has been back into the delaership for the following

1. Starting issue twice, first time the carb float was cleaned and reset, second time the park plug was replaced

2. Complete clutch failure, whereby the complete clutch and gearbox was replaced after the clutch pushrod failed and took out the gearbox,

3. Flat battery/battery not holding charge

In the time that he has had it, he hasnt managed to get a full weeks riding out of it, but, has still managed to put nearly 700km  on it.

We are totally unsatisfied with the bike and the support we have had from the dealer and have lost all confidence in the bike to the point that we want to get a full refund as the bike isnt to the standard we feel it should be for a brand new machine.

Where do we stand legally? Is he entitled to a full refund or does he have to accept repair after repair on this bike under warranty, an exchange of goods for a different manufacturers machine from the dealership? We want to have no further dealings with the dealer as the attitude of the saleman/part owner is not entirely satisfactory and would rather take our business elsewhere.

And please no comments about, you get what you pay for, he works part time and saved every penny to buy his first bike, insure it etc

ta muchly in advance,

Mark

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (15 May 2012 17:35)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
gingerB

Aug 09

gingerB says:

Mark

Firstly what u pay for a bike is what u can afford - everyone laughed at my first bike but having saved for it I didn't care - it was Chinese but it was my ticket to freedom.  Secondly I would give trading standards and citizens advice a call then go back to the dealer and inform him politely but firmly what they have said and that if he doesn't act on it you will take it further.  As far as I know you have to give the dealer a resonable time to fix the faults but not sure where you stand if faults keep coming - basically your son has been very unlucky and I feel for him.  Good luck and post an update.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

As I understand it

you're obliged to give the dealer a reasonable chance to sort the problem/s. You appear to have (although, define "reasonable chance"?).

I'd go and ask for a refund / replacement, and if that doesn't work, go to Trading Standards / solicitor.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices