Skip to content

Discuss This Rider denied compensation for crash with lorry that crossed white line General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Rider denied compensation for crash with lorry that crossed white line

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Rider denied compensation for crash with lorry that crossed white line

A motorcyclist who collided with an oncoming lorry which had partly crossed over the central white line has been denied compensation.  To blame the lorry driver would impose too high a standard on him, according to the Court of Appeal ruling.  Motorcyclist Robert Whiteford, of Soham, Cambridgeshire, lost a leg in the crash in April 2009 near Ely. He won...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 May 2012 09:17)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

In the US

@ bigjames – Well, in the US a cager can often get away with killing a motorcyclist, pedal cyclist, or pedestrian by telling the police “I didn’t see him/her”, and not even a simple traffic citation will be issued for failure to yield. Cagers dominate by numbers, and the general attitude is screw everyone else, they should have also been in a cage.

Reply to this Topic
viaciofano

Nov 04

viaciofano says:

leg

I hope he is ok as loosing a leg can not be easy. I hope this is not a case of the lawyers making a bad descion on the points of law.

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

@romford4

Kindly stop talking sense.  The locals won't know what to do with their burning picthforks.

Reply to this Topic
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

Lorry 10/Biker 0

As previously commented we don't know all of the facts here to judge who was in the right or wrong. Funny though how the motorcyclist always seems to come off worst, whither to blame or not when involved with accident, police, government etc. Despite the concrete facts, one fact is the biker lost a leg and received nothing in compensation, whichever way I look at it, its wrong..   

Reply to this Topic
thedogs3856

Apr 10

thedogs3856 says:

Centreline crossing

Last year i had a similar experience but without accident but with a bus. Basically it was stopped a set of lights on a bend and its route was to turn hard left at the lights which meant it had to pull out over the centre line. On this occasion i was coming around the bend to the buses right. As i went around the bend the lights changed and the driver pulled his bus out over the centre line to turn left, narrowly missing me. As there was a sign just before the lights on his side of the road stating the action of crossing the line must not be carried out due to traffic coming from the right (like me), the bus company had to change its route so that it approached the junction from the opposite side of the road, and therefore went straight on instead of needing to make the turn by crossing the centre line. Neither the driver or the company were prosecuted for there action as nothing had occured, but it did make them change the route for the safety of others. I would like to add that we are all made aware of the need to approach bends towards the centre to give us the maximum amount of vision forward and through the corner with correct positioning. Its in all basic motorcycle training.

Reply to this Topic
wobblybiker

Mar 09

wobblybiker says:

lane

If the rider was going round a left-hand lane, then by being on the outside of HIS SIDE OF THE ROAD then he was adopting the practice recommended by police Roadcraft. His solicitor is a complete pillock for allowing him to say he was in the wrong by not being in the middle of his own lane. I'd sue him.

Reply to this Topic
bestbitterley

Aug 10

Centreline

Very sad to hear about this accident and the fact the motorcyclist came out of the whole situation so badly.

Ride defensively, protect yourself from oncoming traffic, assume the next bend will have an obsticle in your way.

It's not about riding slowly, it's about riding with your brain in gear.

Practise your road positions and cornering lines, keep yourself safe.

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

What if

It had been an expensive car trashed and clearly in its own lane, judging by what is said in the article there wouldn't have been enough room for a car to travel the road properly without swerving, would it then be down to the car driver for driving in the correct lane?

Or for that matter a bus and the bus had the side of it ripped off by the lorry with many injured due to the lorry not fitting into the road properly?

Would it have been the same result?

It does make you wonder.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices