Skip to content

Ask an Expert XT 600 Running fine... Other than when it's raining Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > XT 600 Running fine... Other than when it's raining

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

XT 600 Running fine... Other than when it's raining

Had some probs with my bike starting which now seem to be fixed. On the way home the other day it was raining really heavy and bike kept cutting out.

We are talking about 9 stalls on a 6 mile journey.

Rain is getting in somewhere. I notice the carb kind of hanging off the inlet rubber a bit but I am going to fix this soon. Is there any other reason the bike would just straight die in the wet? Sidestand has been bypassed in 2 places. I've foiled the innards in the connector and tied the wires at the end.

Did have a problem with the sidestand a couple of days ago where it would cut out going from neutral to first/second. This fix sorted that out.

I am gonna fix up the carb (which was cleaned in november sometime) and replace air filter since the bike is trying to start again when it dies. Sometimes it will splutter and die then it will ressurect itself. Others it will just die.

The fuel line isn't clogged whenever I checked it which leaves either the carb or the air filter at fault.

Could I be missing anything?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 May 2012 11:33)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

rain

Could be a good idea to seal the ignition leads with a sealer spray.I`ve used epoxy resin in gaps on lawnmowers.

Bypassing safety switches is only for fault finding and not long term,if you set off with the side stand down and cause an accident and your ins find out, this will null any claim.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Could I be missing anything?

You sure could :lol:

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

jimbo

you notice the carb kinda hanging off? ask yer sen mate does that sound ok? FFS either take it to some one who knows what they are doing or dont ride it, cos you are gonna get hurt.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

LOL

Nice to see your troll senses are alive but it is not a troll. I created this new topic because the problem is different and it is generally frowned upon to post different problems in an unrelated thread.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Carb

Not hanging off , per se , it is on by about 1 cm but you can see the groove so it has managed to shake itself free a bit.Thats what I'm on about there. The gap seems air tight enough but could do with some tightening up is what I mean.

Interestingly , it has been ok today and it has pretty much been raining all day today.
Its been fine all week other than monday when it rained like hell!

Nowadays it seems to mostly happen when I am riding it as opposed to the intial start.

Water kickup wise would be prone to going under the tank where the ht coil is so will clean that up and use some sealant.

Bugger it , I'll show you lol

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Sorted out the carb and put a healthy chunk of vaseline onto the contacts for HT lead. The spak lead is solid in the main HT coil so I didn't bother with that bit. Also did some work with the dodgy exhaust which kept moving back a bit. The type of silencer it is meant I couldn't use the standard gasket. Also fixed up the carb , it's sitting very nicely in its place now.

NOW we play the waiting game for the rain. Typical that I fix it all up then have a sunny weekend!

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

If you're genuine.

According to this and your other threads you are running with a non-standard exhaust can, a crappy old air filter and you’ve cleaned the carbs yourself in an unspecified way, all of which point to fuelling issues.

Electrically you’ve botch-bypassed the side stand multiple times, taken voltage readings with a meter which you admit is dodgy (-pointless!) and failed to respond to direct questions. You’ve been content to change the battery more often than you fill the tank.

There are far too many mis-directions and red herrings in your posts. It does it in the rain, it didn’t do it in the rain; it makes a “pop!” sound behind the clocks which you didn’t bother to trace;  the carb is hanging off, well not really; you’ve checked out the charging system and it was all OK, then suddenly you replace the reg/rec for reasons unspecified and everything’s hunky dory; yet now you’re getting 15 volts charging at the battery which you know is dangerously high but never mind!

Richard47 on the motorcycle-usa.com forum advised five months ago that you might be experiencing carb icing, which seems plausible. You ignored that too.

Either this is a wind up or you need to sort out the obvious shortcomings and then come back.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

End can is a non standard can but is made for the bike. Before , it kept sliding off , but its all sorted now. The reason it kept sliding off is because the vibrations but now everything is sorted and airtight.

Air filter is the standard one placed in the airbox. I don't know when it was last changed but intend to replace it on payday.

I cleaned the carbs using carb cleaner only , no cloth/sandpaper. We cleaned it back in october. Icing could have happenedbut then its just happened with standard riding. It hasn't been sitting still thats for sure!

electrically , I HAVE bypassed the sidestand. I may or may not replace that switch as I've had the switches for sidestands break on both of my bikes so far and I've yet to even set off with it down.

I did take voltage readings with a bad multimeter once but I replaced this and rechecked all of them with a brand new and better made one and got the same results.

We were working to get the battery fixed which we have fixed now. It was the reg/rec

It works in light rain but wont work in heavy rain. Rain seems to be getting thrown from the wheel into something in order to stop it working while it is running. Water on ht lead? Water into spark? We don't know , but I have sealed it all up as best I can with vaseline so it should withstand a good water blast. Now we just need to wait for a rainy day to test it.

I did try to trace the pop sound behind the plastics but there is nothing but connectors in there which are sealed and clean. The POP noise is nowhere near as frequent as it was before. I also noticed my dash light had blown the other day so I changed that. Perhaps that is what was causing it?

The carb is fixed now. It is solid on both sides. That said , I am confident it wasn't the problem. If I took pictures , you would know what I mean.

I replaced reg/rec at reccomendation of my dad. I had tested it before and it seemed ok but obviously it wasn't.

15V from the charging system when I was running it idle. The battery tops at 12.5-13V last time I checked.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Carb.

It could still have been carb icing. Round my way last week the weather was wet and unseasonally cool. Carb icing occurs when  there is a particular combination of cool air and damp air. It can be colder or wetter and you won't get it, it's a peculiar combination that does it.

Normally the bike will splutter before dying but I've had it cut straight out. Then it'll start again once it's thawed, which can be seconds or minutes. My old Peugeot 106 would do it too.

If you reckon carb icing is a possibility try a splash of Silkolene Pro-FST in the tank. Mind you, you're unlikely to get it now it's warmer!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices