Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Sports touring tyres tested First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Sports touring tyres tested

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Neeves  says:

Video: Sports touring tyres tested

Sports touring tyres are fast becoming the default tyre for UK motorcyclists, from commuters to superbike riders because of two things: instant grip and durability. They can do big miles (as many as old touring tyres) and they’ll even handle track days. Crucially for UK riders, sports touring rubber is also the best you can buy for the rain – only...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (17 May 2012 14:17)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Sports-touring tyres

The use of sports-touring tyres is nothing new - I have been using sports-touring tyres for over 12 years.  The first set I had were the BT020's that I had fitted to my '98 Fireblade.  I went from getting 2,000 miles from a rear tyre to 4,500 - bloody amazing at the time.  

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

How can they not have tested avon tyres??

Reply to this Topic
ERP30

Apr 06

ERP30 says:

Well Done MCN

Well Done MCN grate story but would love to see a longer video.. Keep up the good work..

Reply to this Topic
CaNsA

Jul 09

CaNsA says:

Sport oring tyres?

Yeppers, check the typo in the vid.

Top info though.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Agree with wesley01, why no Avons? They have been highly rated for their wet weather capability in the past, plus they are cheaper than most and BRITISH! Or has this vid been sponsored by Metzler? And how do you know how good a tyre is in the wet if you don't fall off. Wouldn't want to be a test rider.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

testing tyres....

Is all very well on a dedicated test track but a more realistic test would be on the road during a typical winter with diesel, pot holes and mud, not to mention ...Drain covers, Traffic light studs, white lines, Ill fitting cats eyes, loose gravel road dressing, Poorly conceived yellow bands coming up to roundabouts ect ect. Rain??? that's easy.

Reply to this Topic
Heppy

Aug 02

Heppy says:

@snev

To highlight deferences in anything that is tested a controlled environment is needed. Although more realistic, performing the test on the road would not provide this.

Reply to this Topic
manxybanksy

Feb 06

manxybanksy says:

@ CaNsA - you made a typo quoting the typo :) @ SatNavSteve - you don't have to fall off to gauge the effectiveness of a trye, wet or dry. A good tyre is one that gives you the feedback so you can feel it starting to let go.

Reply to this Topic
street3r

Sep 10

street3r says:

Michelin PR2's close

Had a look on Metzeler's web site; shows the results of the Motorad comparative test. BT-023s, not bad. Dunlop Roadsmart 2, the worst. But the good old Michelin PR2 is right there. I'd probably go for PR2s myself.

Reply to this Topic
AHA1

Feb 12

AHA1 says:

Pilot Road 2 or 3?

It's the Pilot Road 2 on Metzeler's site and everyone says the PR3 is way better than the PR2 so for the time being, I'm assuming the PR3 is better that the Metzeler. MCN seem to have got a result which says the PR3 was bettered but I'd like to see the full report. A faster lap time doesn't necessarily translate into a better wet tyre. More grip = more traction but also more friction. Wouldn't a grippier tyre might be slower accelerating than a shite tyre esp. in a straight line? Forgotten my GCSE physics. Anyone know?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices