Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Sports touring tyres tested First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Sports touring tyres tested

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Neeves  says:

Video: Sports touring tyres tested

Sports touring tyres are fast becoming the default tyre for UK motorcyclists, from commuters to superbike riders because of two things: instant grip and durability. They can do big miles (as many as old touring tyres) and they’ll even handle track days. Crucially for UK riders, sports touring rubber is also the best you can buy for the rain – only...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (17 May 2012 14:17)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
manxybanksy

Feb 06

manxybanksy says:

@AHA1

"Wouldn't a grippier tyre might be slower accelerating than a shite tyre esp. in a straight line?" So by your logic, you can accelerate quicker with no grip??? You're having a laugh aren't you?

Reply to this Topic
manxybanksy

Feb 06

manxybanksy says:

@AHA1

"Wouldn't a grippier tyre might be slower accelerating than a shite tyre esp. in a straight line?" So by your logic, you can accelerate quicker with no grip??? You're having a laugh aren't you?

Reply to this Topic
AHA1

Feb 12

AHA1 says:

Having a laugh?

No, just a head scratch. I'm just a bear with a small brain, I'm afraid.(And excuse the typo in the post below.) Obviously you can't accelerate at all with zero grip but I'm wondering if higher grip also means more rolling resistance and if that translates to slower initial pick up and direction changes? Better traction will allow higher peak acceleration but does it also result in lower speeds from the initial acceleration input as you're using more force to overcome inertia from higher friction?

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

How many miles?

If they have good grip thats good to hear, but since the other half of the story is lifespan this report seems to miss that?

A longer test over larger distances and on British roads with all the differences in surface you find, needs to be carried out before anyone can say this ones better!

I hope this is an interim report and the full test will appear in the future?

Reply to this Topic
greg1948

May 06

greg1948 says:

Why not the Avon Storm 2 ST tyres??? Possibly because they are not the 'latest technology' which bike testers love?

Had them on my Bandit 1200 and found them great wet or dry. Neutral handling, low wear, and could corner with them  down to the edge in the dry.

Unfortunately cant say how long they would have lasted as i swapped the bike after 2500 miles but visually they were like new.

My new GSX 1250 FA has Bridgestaone ST tyres which have squared off after 2500 miles and feel crap. Cant wait to get rid of them.

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

No Pirelli's tested?

Bit cheeky going to the Pirelli test track and not testing a Pirelli, eh?

Reply to this Topic
gsf1200sv

Apr 10

gsf1200sv says:

Sport Touring tyres

A very 1-dimensional report. Disappointing MCN! Style / substance - let's see a balance.

Reply to this Topic
Waddy24

Sep 08

Waddy24 says:

load of rubbish

when you test tyres it should be done on open roads in all conditions, it seems that this gent was on a  back hander.

Reply to this Topic
CobbZ

Jun 10

CobbZ says:

Sad to see...

Firstly - a very poor test. And secondly, no budget tyres? I.e the Avon storms or the Maxxis Supermaxxx Touring?

Reply to this Topic
steeplejack

Jan 05

steeplejack says:

Not a great test

@street3r I concur on how bad the roadsmarts are, they frightened me this winter and I will be gladly changing them soon. Pirelli Angels for me. Not tested here but my last set were great. Hot, cold, wet and dry. Tempted by those metzelers though, may see what price the local man can get them for.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices