Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Sports touring tyres tested First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Sports touring tyres tested

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Neeves  says:

Video: Sports touring tyres tested

Sports touring tyres are fast becoming the default tyre for UK motorcyclists, from commuters to superbike riders because of two things: instant grip and durability. They can do big miles (as many as old touring tyres) and they’ll even handle track days. Crucially for UK riders, sports touring rubber is also the best you can buy for the rain – only...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (17 May 2012 14:17)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Richard T

Aug 07

Richard T says:

I've tried most brands over the years -

Avons were pricey, worked well, but not long lasting.

Metzelers Z8's and Bridgestone BT020s weren't great for grip, and rears squared off badly.

Dunlops - I wore the edges out before the middle!

Continentals and Contiforce, cheaper than Avons but wore out just as quick.

Best for me at the moment are Michelins, current bike came with PR2's, now on PR3's - tremendous grip wet or dry and wearing well and evenly so far. Well worth the extra few £'s IMHO.

Not tried the new BT023's but I'm well happy with the PR3's so may not bother.

Reply to this Topic
Fz6daveg

Mar 09

Fz6daveg says:

Roadsmarts

I have always had Dunlop Roadsmarts on my Naked FZ6. They have been fantastic upto now, long wearing and loads of grip wet and dry.

I had fitted a pair of the new DRS 2 a couple of weeks ago and have just come back from Le Mans. 1300 mile round trip, they are showing no signs of squaring off and again brilliant grip wet and dry. This weekend has been a great test for the wet riding, it P***ed it done all day Sunday.

I would recommend these to anyone. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
SpeedT03

May 12

SpeedT03 says:

Gonna try them

Saw this in MCN last week. my pirelli angels are shot after 7500ish miles they have been really good - no complaints

Like tryin the new stuff so gonna give these Z8s a bash. just found out these are new dual compounders on Metz web site they are givin 25 squid cash back. Niiice!

Gettin them fitted saturday :0)

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

pirelli angel st's

On my Busa..... 4500 miles per rear 9000 miles per front used all year round in all weathers they give confidence, grip and long life.

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

Pirelli own Metzeler, that's why they aren't testing Pirelli......cos they're testing a metzeler instead, whilst using the "Pirelli" track Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Reply to this Topic
djsi00

Jun 12

djsi00 says:

Mitchelin Pilot Road 3

Used to ride with pilot road 2's as they were the longest wearing tyres i could find with the best grip for how i ride. when the pilot road 3's came out i got them straight away. so far they have lasted nearly 11,000 mies and the back tyre has barely started to square off and they still look like new. one of my mates thought i had only done 1000 miles on them. i do alot of commuting on them and on weekends take the bike out for a long fast ride round country roads, so the whole tyres get used. wouldn't swap them for the world. well worth the extra pennies

Reply to this Topic
Toecutter71

Jun 10

Toecutter71 says:

I ride roadtec Z6 old one(which isn't INTERACT) on little bandit 650, and i said this, the best one tyre if you wish tyre which is real allrounder(when i said allrounder i mean dry, wet , hot ,cold)and most important thing, they not change abruptly in character or behavior, sudden changes in temperature or the substrate, sudden temperature changes can happen very easily if you are traveling on the tour, so  from the coast begin to climb the mountain range, and 30 Celsius after half an hour you find yourself in a situation where the exterior temperature 19C or 20C, i said this because i was have Sportec M3 which is fantastic in stady(prefers hot) enviroment(i mean roud and temp)but on any kind of fast change of same, they also rapidly changing their behavior in none predictable ways. I also had Battlax 021 which is ...rubbish

Reply to this Topic
ajacko

Jun 09

ajacko says:

Z8 roadtecs

How do I know i'm getting the new RP3 beating z8 roadtec interacts when the old ones launched in 2010 have exactly the same name?

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

MORE MCN MORONS ...

I was appalled to see some moron here accuse Michael Neeves as being "on a backhander". The guy is a fine & hugely respected tester & good bloke - and has very many years of experience - I dare say about a zillion more high speed & test miles on many & varied machines than our genius poster boy here ...

Just because the result conflicts with some "armchair road-rocket's" idea of what constitutes " great performance " - especially in the wet - Mr Brain Fart decides to attack the Tester & his credentials & character. Clever, that and adding so much to the information!

Any doubters should look-up & research the recent MOTORRAD Test which came to exactly the same conclusion - the Z8's seeing-off the highly regarded new-ish Pilot Road 3, BT 023 & the much-vaunted Streetsmart 2.

But then - Mr Wanker would then say, "Well, they're German - and they would say that, wouldn't they?"

Why does MCN attract so many deeply unpleasant & silly fools & morons that insult our intelligence?

A declaration: - all my bikes are now on the Metzeler Sportec M5. I haven't tried the Z8 but after this top result by several credible international testers - they are on the list to try sometime on the future.

Cheers

Reply to this Topic
SpeedT03

May 12

SpeedT03 says:

Got them on - new Z8s

Had the new spec ones on for 1300 miles and i can report there amazing in the wet. They feel really planted. The speed tripple luvs them! Just wish I could really see what they are like in the dry thanks to this crappy summer were having

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices