Skip to content

HONDA Honda VFR1200: old vs new VFR1200F

You are in... Forums > HONDA > VFR1200F > Honda VFR1200: old vs new

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Honda VFR1200: old vs new

Honda’s V4s have come a long way since those early, flawed, chain-driven cam 750s of the early ‘80s. That first VF750S led to the VF750F and on to the VF1000 in all its forms spawning junior siblings such as the VF400F and VF500F along the way. After that came the VFR dynasty which prospers to this day. And along side all...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (17 May 2012 16:47)

Post a message in VFR1200F

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

A big Letdown.

having waited so long for the Blackbird replacement, with all the talk of V5 engines and Turbo's, I was very excited to learn of this new bike even when it was painfully drip fed over such a long time through the internet, only for the site to crash at the crucial moment of truth. I even went to the launch event still semi excited but came away, very dissapointed to be honest. Having then test ridden the bike my conclusion was that this bike was neither a Blackbird or VFR750 replacement let alone a viable alternative to my Hayabusa.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Yeh, big improvement that extra half litre fuel tank!!!! And updated cosmetics? Its still pig ugly!

Reply to this Topic
magmann

May 06

magmann says:

Yep, diiferent, but the same. Keel ballast is same as the previous version.

Reply to this Topic
Big Bry 51

May 08

Big Bry 51 says:

Not a step forward?

Like many other Blackbird owners, I waited with baited breath for the all new VFR1200 as a viable replacement.

What a dissapoinment. Like many others have said, a lack of range, hideous clocks and its looks, well not like a Honda should. But I was persuaded to take a test ride and it didnt inspire me at all, I felt cramped for space (6'4") and couldnt imagine a ong haul on one. The Blackbird is far more comforatble, so much so I have kept my Blackbird till I find not a replacement now as much as an extra (not going to sell the bird).

I raised some of these concerns with the Honda dealer. He tells me that the VFR1200 is not an outright sports tourer, well what is it, probably a bike that is going to get cheaper and cheaper as sales fall through the floor as riders look elsewhere.

Not the bike Honda promised or am I missing something.

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Agreed BigBry.  The biggest disappointment was ditching the Blackbird. This sorry porker of a bike is a sad empty shell compared to the great  Blackbird.

Reply to this Topic
ian749

Nov 11

ian749 says:

vfr1200

66 second hand ads in MCN,as much as £4000+ off on some with 0 miles...that says it all.a new Blackbird and a VFR that can do the job the old 750's did is the way to go. Honda are you listening?

Reply to this Topic
royfazer

Jun 06

royfazer says:

i agree with Sprints995.

The new version of motor cycle NEWS contains no NEWS any more and to many space fillers and articles that should be in a monthly magazine.

Thereis no NEWS of speedway, trials, clubracing, rallies, customization, or legislation.

Bike spoer news,speedway star, trials & MX news & old bike mart have all grown out of MCN's lack of coverage of the motorcycle scene, as it is limited in its coverage and the new version is even worse !!

No NEWS in the NEWS paper.   Going to cancell my subscription that I've had for over 30 years its that bad.

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

vfr1200

I have had one of these for 10K miles over a year, the tank range isnt great, fuel light comes on under 100 miles town riding, about 130 on open roads, in all fairness go to the south of france and its 5 tanks of juice on a "normal" bike 6 on a VFR1200 , not really the end of the world.

It is quite heavy and not a lot of leg room, however Jaws motorcycles can give you footpeg lower bits for £5 both sides, and 5 mins to fit. Heli bars change wrist position if you do a lot of town riding, and then its quite comfortable for my 34 incg legs and you do get used to it.

Its very, very, very good at big fast sweepers and high speed A roads, and the most stable bike at speed I have ever ridden, and you can keep up with most bikes if you can ride a bit,  very tight 180 degree turns and you will notice the weight and length. Its a very good bike at what its made for,  high speeed A roads, its quite a good "all rounder", buy it for what its made for and you will be happy.Side by side to a Blackbird it will leave it in its dust ( I tested it much to a mate's disappointment)

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

I haven't ridden anything THAT ugly since the ex wife walked out.....

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

billysollocks

Should have taken her for a test ride first !!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices