Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi vows to race on until end of 2014 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi vows to race on until end of 2014

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi vows to race on until end of 2014

Valentino Rossi will not be joining Casey Stoner in quitting the MotoGP world championship at the end of 2012. Double MotoGP world champion Stoner stunned the paddock in Le Mans tonight when he confirmed he will retire at the end of 2012, when the Australian will be only 27. But Italian Rossi once again dismissed recent speculation that he will retire at...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (17 May 2012 20:42)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Chrisb970

Nov 11

Chrisb970 says:

You are as

Mad as a cat!!! no way will cal get the HRC ride next year! I just can't see it happening, if he performs well and out performs Dovi then a yamaha factory ride is on the cards. Also where have you got the impression that Stoner gets to choose who takes his seat?? That is the biggest load of hebe jebe i have ever heard its ludicrous! I can just imagine it now, 

HRC vice president, " Ahhhh Mista Stona my son, before you go tell me who take your ride in two fousand an fourtween? We have harrowed it down to free ridas, Jorge, bowtista, Marquez."

Stoner, "Errrrrrrrrrm give it to errrrrrrrrrm Cal errrrrrm his good for sure errrrrrrrm."

HRC Vice president, "Owkay Mr Stona, we do whatever you say, fankyou." 

I just don't see it happening like that to be honest. As you can tell my impression of the HRC president has a bit of Mr Miyagi in there.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Musical Chairs

Quite right Chris. Even if Stoner wins for Honda this year there is no reason at all why he would have any influence with the team. 

All this speculation about who is going where next year doesn't even seem to take into account the existing contractual arrangements.

Should be an interesting game of musical chairs this year, as far as I know this is the position. As well as Stoner leaving Repsol Pedrosa's contract is up for grabs at the end of the year. In Yamaha terms I think all four riders contracts come to an end this year, although one of the Tech 3 seats is spoken for by Smith. On the satellite Hondas Bautista's only on a one year contract, but Bradl stays where he is at LCR. Over at Ducati we know Hayden and Vale's contracts end this year.  As far as I know Barbera is only on a one year contract and you'd expect Abraham's seat to be safe given that he rides for his dad.

So assuming that there's going to be the same 12 prototypes run by the same teams next year. We have one rider definitely leaving and three seats spoken for, assuming Abraham keeps his Ducati. I'm sure HRC will be very keen to hang onto Pedrosa and I expect they'll be after Lorenzo, although he seems a loyal sort of bloke. I'm not sure Honda will be so keen to have Dovi back given that he supposedly turned down a deal to ride a full factory spec bike with LCR. So Dovi is probably keen to get his arse on a factory Yamaha if he's closed the Honda door on himself. 

Unless Ducati can show both some serious improvement and that they listen to their riders I'm not sure anybody will be too keen to move in there. So that leaves the competition for places at the other teams quite hot, assuming nobody else retires and we're looking at another couple of riders moving up from Moto2. Certainly Marquez is on his way up. Honda seem keen to sign him so Bautista probably knows that he needs to make an impression if he's going to stay with Honda. 

And all that assumes that there are no agreements behind the scenes for next year of which we know nothing.  In other words it's all very complicated and it's going to be hard to call.

Reply to this Topic
redracer46

Oct 11

redracer46 says:

Sponsors

In a sport increasingly dominated by the need for sponsorship make no mistake how big an influence it can have on who gets what rides. Honda have already come out and said they will in as many words keep Pedrosa on for next season and he is well liked by Repsol. Marquez also has ties to Repsol, but the Rookie rule looks to stay for at least next year and he will probably end up with a Repsol/Catalunya Caixa backed full factory private machine. It is widely accepted that Honda will only hire riders who have at least a good chance if winning the title, so that already narrows the field to a very short list of possible established candidates.... Honda have also said they will consult their sponsors before they would open doors for Valentino's return, but given the mans draw worldwide there are few who would turn the opportunity down. Honda also stated as rumors first emerged about Caseys retirement that they would then table whatever money it takes to sign Lorenzo and Repsol would dearly love an all Spanish line up of that Honda dream team. But the season is long and being only 3 races in there is much time for possible suitors to make an impression on HRC and sponsors. Its so wide open accurate predictions are almost impossible, but it seems likely that Caseys seat will be filled by a big name and then all other seats filled around it. My own prediction is if Rossi can manage a race win at Ducati before the seasons end he will see that as enough proof he 'could' win on it, and take that as the green light to leave (and Im not saying that is right...), either back to HRC to finish where it all started, or back to Yamaha if Lorenzo leaves.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

redracer46

That Honda have said they will keep Pedrosa for next year does not put Honda in a strong position, but it does give Predrosa a very good hand to play with. Given that there are two seats at Yamaha and two seats at Honda for next year you can bet Lorenzo and Pedrosa can more or less name their prices.

That Rossi has said he will stay for two more years is significant. He didn't simply say he was staying, but specifically said at least two years which would seem to imply he is already at the stage of negotiating a two year contract. As you say Rossi is a big draw worldwide and as such he remains a hot property. Given the scarcity of prototype seats and the competition for those seats those riders who can read between the lines will now realise that they have Vale as competition for the hot seats. 

Reply to this Topic
YamahaRacer

May 12

YamahaRacer says:

Jolly Spies has an ultamatium he needs to win 3 races or more if he wants to retain his factory ride.

Reply to this Topic
Chrisb970

Nov 11

Chrisb970 says:

YamRacer

Spies wont win 3 races this year and if he does he won't have his ride for 2013. Sorry bud but spies is gone!

Reply to this Topic
Yamaha3358

Mar 11

Yamaha3358 says:

Give him the Honda seat. Let's see him prove himself on a decent bike once again... although it's a great shame that he couldn't win on a bike which wasn't the best...

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

change of tune 3358

Not so long ago you and few others on here were saying Rossi will never ride a factory Honda or Yamaha again.
Not in a million years could it ever happen so you said so confidently.
Strange that now you say give him the Honda seat.
For sure he could prove himself on either of these bikes but ideally that's not what he wants.
Being an Italian he wants to win on the Ducati and its been said all along if they sort the bike he will win on it.
All the talk Rossi will never win a GP again.
Now it's looking more likely than ever its a bit ironic some of it could be down to Stoner doing a runner.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Chrisb970

Nov 11

Chrisb970 says:

Bitter man

aren't you 3358. Every post you write amuses me! I cant wait for you to bring up the head to head stats for rossi and stoner again at the end of the year, make sure you put at the end of Stoner's RETIRED!

Reply to this Topic
Yamaha3358

Mar 11

Yamaha3358 says:

Cheers Buell, once again proving yourself to be a 'Rossi fan' and not a fan of the sport.

Can you quote myself saying he would never ride a factory Honda or Yamaha ever again? Thought not.

It was definetely unlikely, until Stoner announced his retirement, now spaces have opened up so it seems Rossi could be one of the only options. They certainly wouldn't have chased him if Stoner was still riding. haha i guess it's like being picked last on a football team.

All the talk Rossi will never win a GP again.

So you think it's possible now, because Stoner is retiring? ... says a lot.

I'm saying give him the Honda seat because it's getting bloody boring with all you fanboys moaning about how crap the Ducati is all the time. Ironic isn't it?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices