You are in... Forums > General > General > How do i scrub in new tyres

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gingerB

Aug 09

gingerB says:

How do i scrub in new tyres

Just got a pair of pilot power 2's on the bike and as it is the first time i have had new tyres wondering if anyone has any advice on how to treat em in this crappy cold wet weather :huh:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 May 2012 09:00)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

go slow

for at least 100 miles when its wet like this and just gradually keep building it up when bike is leant over to get rid of all the little bobbles once tyres have lost there smooth finish jobs a good un

oh btw how have you never had new tyres on a bike yet i just look at my tyres and they are goosed 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
smileychief

Aug 02

smileychief says:

Sandpaper!

could work.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

very carefully if it's wet

hate new tyres

Reply to this Topic
KrismusSikpunz

Mar 12

It's more a matter of.............

getting rid of the releasing agent that is used in the moulding process.

Scrubbing brush and detergent, wash off well, then take it easy on dry roads for a while until the dust has soaked up the residue and the smoothness of the tyres have been roughed up.

Sam

Reply to this Topic
andrepwelman

Feb 10

andrepwelman says:

This is the advice I got,

“Take it easy for up to 100 miles. Making sure the tyres are up to working temperature before cornering too hard and going easy on the throttle and the brake throughout that running-in period”

:smile

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

I dont like this 'go for 100 miles' malarky. What if you do 100 miles in a straight line? The sides of the tyres are still going to be like new.

The reality of it all is, you can quite easily scrub tyres in within 10 to 15 miles if you know what you are doing, and dont go giving it a handfull of brake or go juice.

You need to be progressive leaning the bike. Like Krismus said, its more to do with getting the releasing agent off the tyre.

If you take it easy leaning the bike until you have used all of the tyre, then its job done. Obviously dont go from bolt upright to full lean in one swoop then give it a handfull or you will end up on your arse.

Find a quiet roundabout and do a few laps, slowly leaning a little more every time you go around. Then, close the roundabout and go the opposite way.....Or....find a few left handers somewhere.  :wink:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

New tyres

I just clean them with meths.

Reply to this Topic
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

Just be smooth..

Don't worry, they are not gonna just 'let go' on ya provided you are smooth with the controls! No big handfuls of throttle or brake and no sudden direction changes.. 

Take it steady an build up ur speed, build some heat in the tyres and starts to increase ur lean angle. 

As Fuzzrr says, 100 miles down the M1 won't help, find a quiet, dry piece of bendy road and just enjoy how much better ur bike now feels with new tyres!! It'll be like a new bike :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

Sorry Jaffa

You may know better but I would not be rubbing any chemicals on my tyres! :shock:

No need!!...

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

sorry Stealth

Tyres have acids,sulfur and other chemicals in them,manmade rubber comes from polymers in crude oil,

also i use to flush brake lines out with meths in the early 70s.:tongue:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices