You are in... Forums > General > General > Bit of a Dilema

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

kawathrasher

Feb 10

kawathrasher says:

Bit of a Dilema

Never really got much service history with the big R and as the milage has just turned 17k i am gonna put her in for a service

My problem being do i put her in for a 20 thou service which i think involves a valve clearence as well as the usual plugs filter n fluid or go for something abit nearer her age (2005) which should really be 28000 mile based on an averege of 4k a year (as per the norm)

Figures from the Yamaha service manual i may add

:blink::blink:

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 May 2012 23:38)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

mileage???????????????

You know the answer as well as sleeping at night,there`s only 20 valves to check.:shock: 

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

valve clearance

gets done early on in the bikes life once its run in a bit doesen't it ? in the past i have seen big yamahas and honda with best part of 30 000 miles on that were in for their first or second valve clearance check and the bikes still ran perfectly which is testament to the quality of the engines .....i would personally save me pennies up for the big un and just get the fluids and filters done for now and look at putting it in at about 25 000 miles +:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Jeni4

Sep 08

Jeni4 says:

For peace of mind I'd say

get it done, but guess it depends on how much mileage you expect to put on it this year and how much cash you've got...

Reply to this Topic
chriscg

Jan 10

chriscg says:

you could

try checking out the owners forum for advice and see if when others had theres done the clearances were out or not. Maybe get a quote for the job too,just to see what money it will take.And if you use a good and honest mechanic,there advice.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

clearances

should be checked every 25,000 on the fzs1000/ri.

Are you sure yours has done 17,000m?

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Servicing

If you intend to keep the bike then get it fully serviced and then you not only have peace of mind but you also have a starting point for the sevice schedule going forwards.  Keeping records from then on will also give any prospective purchaser some peace of mind should you decide to move the bike on. 

The truth of the matter is that most manufacturers are conservative when setting the schedules anyway but I have always had my machines serviced on time and have had little mechanical trouble with them over the years. 

Reply to this Topic
kawathrasher

Feb 10

kawathrasher says:

Morning all

Probably will just get the 20,000 service done as current milage is 17,098 so can't do any harm but will ask the mechanic wot he thinks in regards to the valve clearences.

Would imagine i'll have the bike for a couple more years at least (Unless i get tempted by a black beauty before that :winkie:)

cheers all :sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle