Skip to content

Discuss This Your lights are broken? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Your lights are broken?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

ERP30

Apr 06

ERP30 says:

Your lights are broken?

This may be a daft question, but... Why do manufacturers insist on only illuminating one side of a bikes lights? My last bike was a Kawasaki 2007 Z750 and I would be a rich man today if I had a penny for every time someone said to me 'your lights are broken'. Last month I was lucky enough to trade up to a new ZX10R. Again...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (21 May 2012 17:35)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

I actually like the look of one side lit up while the other is a main beam but i hear what your saying lol. 

I always get the, YOUR LIGHT IS OUT when pulled over.  I just learned to say O right thanks mate.  haha. 

Reply to this Topic
dessp2

Jan 04

dessp2 says:

Its so....

Drivers dont mistake you for a car that is a long way away and pull out on you.

Reply to this Topic
CaNsA

Jul 09

CaNsA says:

but yet no-one says it to the cagers who have 1 light out.

Reply to this Topic
slparry

Aug 02

slparry says:

cheap

Because the manufacturers are too cheap to install a decent charging system that can power two headlights. Of course most customers only discover this after they've bought their bike and then it's too late.

Usual smoke and mirrors marketing, all form over function which typifies most sports style machines

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

They mean well

When they tell you about your lights, at least they see you, so if you were unfortunate enough to be in a collision and the other person claimed one of your lights were out you would know that he saw you but decided to let you know one of your lights were out by knocking you off ouch!.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Lights out. All out..

It's to do with that blasted EU again.

IF the 2 headlights are SEPERATE then you can only have ONE on dipped beam.

If they are together, then you can have BOTH on dipped beam.

The Yammy Fazer is easy to convert with a relay, some wires and a new bulb.

Reply to this Topic
Bikefar

May 08

Bikefar says:

I've got two headlights..

...and I've been told "Only one headlight's working". When I switch the other one on, I'm quickly told to turn it off.

It's a German proper Xenon system.

I agree with fly by night - but I think it would be a great idea just to put a little LED in the middle of the switch so you can find it in the pitch black.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Lights Out

I'd check your bike if I were you mate, judging by those photos one of your lights are out... ...not as annoying as people asking if you're little Yamaha XV535 Virago "is a Harley Davidson"! Seriously the amount of times I was asked that when it used to be my main bike was silly. In the end I got tired of explaining the whole rice burner concept and just replied "yep!".

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Logic?

Two lights, close together.  At a glance (which is all you'll get) it could be assumed to be a car in the distance.
One light on, it is 'odd' and is either instantly recognised as a bike (and thus probably much closer) or given a further check.

The above may be cobblers, but that's what I've always assumed the reasoning to be.  It could of course be that two dipped lights so close together wouldn't really make much difference (no real spread of the beam), so you could be running two lights but getting no extra benefit (and pissbly contravening some law-or-other on maximal area lumination).

As to having both sides on, you could find yourself running foul of the law as the reflectors etc are probably not set-up on the other side to run as a dip.  Best check with a proper mechanic.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Fix-it-ticket

In the USA, if a bulb is out and a cop pulls you over, he'll be nice enough to give you a fix-it-ticket.  Not an actual ticket.  He's just letting you know you have a bulb out.  Even they know shit happens...bulbs burn out.  May have been working when you got in the car and it went out during the drive.  No biggie.

I had a cop pull me over for that.  I tried explaining to him that how my Z1000SX is meant to be.  So are the majority of bikes with separate lenses.  Our vehicle code with regards to headlights is the same as the UK with the exception of us not needing a parking light. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices