You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Suspension > rgv250 suspension

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

reecergv

May 12

reecergv says:

rgv250 suspension

After reading the article in MCN about the KR1S, it inspired me to revisit my first love. An RGV250 M 1992. I have purchased a lovely example and I intend to do a few track days on it. What shall I modify on the suspension. Re spring the front and buy a new rear shock, or junk it and fit something from a modern bike. I have seen someone advertising a complete R6 set up modified to fit.

What to do!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (22 May 2012 12:57)

Post a message in Suspension

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

RGV asuspension

Hi there,

The standard RGV shock isn’t that bad if it’s been rebuilt with a new spring and fresh damping oil, but if it’s worked really hard at a track it can quickly overheat. Replacement Suzuki shocks come in at £700, but you can get a Nitron shock from a supplier like The Tuning Works (01529-305959) for £500 with a spring tailored to your weight and riding style. They are bigger than the OE version, completely rebuildable with compression and rebound adjustment and a ride-height adjuster.

If that modified R6 set-up is so great, why is it being sold off I wonder? You could have to spend time and money getting it set-up.

At the front end go for a cartridge conversion kit from Andreani. They cost £250-300 and they will sort the front-end’s tendency to dive for the centre of the planet when you touch the brakes. In fact, if you are on a budget, do the front end first.

As you are going onto the track, you’ll probably want more power. A tune that takes the power from 53bhp to 67-69bhp will be reliable, but expensive. Go for mild steel exhausts as they are cheaper to replace if you have a tumble at the track. But those suspension changes will get you more time than engine tuning.

Reply to this Topic
reecergv

May 12

reecergv says:

Damaged RGV250

Hi, Many Thanks for your reply. Loved seeing it in print as well.

I have ordered a Nitron rear race shock and I will be getting the front forks updated soon.

But I have a more pressing issue. When I purchased the bike it fell over in the trailer and I hadn't even got it home. To say I was mildly upset is a massive understatement.

The left hand side panel and nose cone were scratched and I thought it would be expensive to sort but not priceless.

Suzuki have discontinued the panels and decals, I can't find any second hand panels and Graphics companies say it's not possible to replicate.

What can I do. HELP!

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

RGV asuspension

Hi there,

I'd plug in to the community of RGV owners as I'm sure other people drop their bikes too, and someone should be able to point you in the right direction. Why not call the Tuning Works again??

Chris

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices