Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Should police use unmarked bikes? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Should police use unmarked bikes?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Should police use unmarked bikes?

In this week's MCN we reveal the number of unmarked police bikes – the majority of which are superbikes or powerful sports tourers – that have been involved in accidents. Sussex police, for example, have had 20 accidents in the last five years on unmarked bikes, 12 of them single-vehicle crashes. But quite aside from the implication that some police riders struggle...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (22 May 2012 13:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Somersetblue

Feb 12

Somersetblue says:

Unmarked bikes

The article seems to suggest that unmarked police bikes will only target bikers. Clearly not the case. I can not think of an argument against the use of unmarked bikes given that unmarked cars are used. If you are daft enough to be 'egged on' by another bike then you deserve all that you get. Stick to the rules & you have nothing to fear.

Reply to this Topic
valiantboy

Mar 09

valiantboy says:

Use them to catch people on their phones

Commuting every day on the M25 / M4 I see dozens of people driving at 70+ on their phones either making calls or texting/checking facebook.  A mufti cop on a bike could nick them so easily by just pulling up beside them.  Increase the fine to £200 and they'd make enough money to run the police department!

Reply to this Topic
Typhon219

Oct 11

Typhon219 says:

I'm saying yes on the condition they nab ALL bad drivers, not just bikers. And for other offences than simply speeding, surely not looking, indicating and all the other things car drivers do all the time are putting more lives at risk than a couple of miles over a speed limit?

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

What pisses me off about unmarked bikes

is that their only purpose is to record information. If these bikes had the ability to pull people over and educate, or prevent dangerous situations occuring, then they might be of some use. As it is an unmarked bike or car is actually more likely to cause a situation than prevent one.

A little while ago while riding along one of my fav A roads at 8am on a Sunday morning I overtook a car in a perfectly sensible manner that was travelling slightly below the limit, I myself was travelling slightly above the limit, but considering there was bugger all else on the road and we were in the middle of nowhere, it wasn't really a problem. Next thing I know this car is sat right up my arse, far too close, and causing a dangerous situation. I didn't want to pull over as slowing down may has caused this idiot to go into the back of me, so I gave it a handful and let him know I wasn't happy. But this clown won't take the hint, half a mile up the road, same thing. So this time I open her up and clear off down the road. As I look in the mirrors, this arsehole has got flashing blue lights coming from under the grill, its undercover plod! Unbelievable!!

This tosser in an undercover car was actually doing his best to goad me into a situation, and could easily have caused a crash. I was expecting a letter but I never did hear anything. Perhaps theu revued the footage and realised that the only ones at fault were themselves!

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Also, the war on speeding motorists is just another stealth tax

Apparently @6% of all road traffic collisions are directly attributable to excess speed. So why the war on speeders? and WTF are they doing about the other 94%?

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

Pure entrapment, UK treat speeders worse then killers and rapist. They need to punish the crime accordingly.

Reply to this Topic
CobbZ

Jun 10

CobbZ says:

I agree

Its entrapment in most cases. Its dangling the carrot in front of the horse and then shooting it for eating the carrot.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

all the police riders

I have ever talked to, have admitted to riding like the rest of us whilst off duty.... i.e. above the speed limit when safe to do so. I think that experience and skill should be taken into account by the police and courts after all these limits were only introduced in response to fuel shortages decades ago.

Reply to this Topic
shallwedance

Aug 11

shallwedance says:

cop bikers

i wouldnt let them be in charge of a hoop and a stick

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

Vehicle markings

are fluorescent for a reason, its to warn other road users when the vehicle is speeding - No marking, Stick to the speed limit.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices