Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Should police use unmarked bikes? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Should police use unmarked bikes?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Should police use unmarked bikes?

In this week's MCN we reveal the number of unmarked police bikes – the majority of which are superbikes or powerful sports tourers – that have been involved in accidents. Sussex police, for example, have had 20 accidents in the last five years on unmarked bikes, 12 of them single-vehicle crashes. But quite aside from the implication that some police riders struggle...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (22 May 2012 13:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

They'd have to see us to think about us

There's the flaw in your reasoning. ;)

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Some of this is a little misleading, bearing in mind that surveillance bikes (and cars) are unmarked and not used for enforcement, but any incidents involving them are counted in the same way.

Reply to this Topic
slparry

Aug 02

slparry says:

they may not be used for enforcement elsewhere but the silver ST1300 Pan that NWP have is definately used for enforcment  

Reply to this Topic
muddy686

Aug 11

muddy686 says:

Yes, because you can spot a jam sandwich a mile off.  At the end of the day if you're not doing anything wrong you've got nothing to worry about!

Reply to this Topic
dghackett

Sep 02

dghackett says:

Why not, we have had unmarked cars for years. If they see a dangerous driver or rider it not only may save there life it may also save your's. If you ride sensibly and with fore thought you will not have any problem with them. Do not forget that they are just doing a job and if they are riding a bike that means that they probably ride for pleasure also. They are bikers doing a job. There are some total idiots out there looking for somewhere to have a crash. I nearly put a accident not crash but accidents are unplanned where as a crash is just waiting for a place to happen. I have been riding since the late 70's a getting pulled over and some stern advice means I'm still here today.

Reply to this Topic
ACEEDSTORM

Oct 10

ACEEDSTORM says:

The police all think they're superb riders & above the law anyway,you can bet none have been prosecuted for binning their expensive toys,just the same as none of the incompetent cunts in firearms units have been prosecuting for murdering innocent people.What a waste of public money the police are,everybody i know see them as the enemy,power pissed wankers everyone of them.

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

no way

As far as I’m concerned all police vehicles should be marked.  I don’t see any reason why they need unmarked vehicles other than for entrapment purposes.   Marked Police bikes filtering through traffic can catch people on their mobiles and smoking weed just as easily.  An unmarked vehicle switching its blue lights on can also be very distracting, not to mention bad for your blood pressure.

Reply to this Topic
offordc

Nov 05

offordc says:

YES!!!

Speaking as a motorcyclist who has just been knocked off by a dozy woman using her mobile to receive directions & turning right at a roundabout from the left hand lane i don't see any problem with unmarked police bikes or cars so long as they are not only used to target bikers,  in fact i wish there were even unmarked cctv cars that could video idiots on the road & send out fines through the post, hell i'd even do the job if it would make the roads safer, there are far too many idiots driving about on the roads these days who really couldn't give a toss about what they do or who they may hurt as a result of their behaviour, something needs to be done & i can't see the government putting more police on the roads to be honest.

As has already been said, if your not doing anything wrong you don't have to worry & if you are & get caught then surely it's a fair cop!

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

Not so good

Are they, mind you 5 years!

It's interesting to see the police adopting tacktics to catch bikers but all the while the cars are driving like luneys they leave them alone.

Why is it considered ok for car drivers to drive like luneys but bikers are a hazerd?

We see what kind of carnage is caused by wreckless car drivers, you can't really say the same for bikes, a biker is mostly only taking his own life into his own hands, while dangerous cars are taking the lives of everyone in their zone into their hands.

It's always best it seems to target minorities no matter who they are.

Reply to this Topic
greg1948

May 06

greg1948 says:

They have their uses as with unmarked cars however i have seen too many onboard vidios where the officer concerned is clearly enjoying 'the thrill of the chase' which in one case went on for 20 mins instead of bringing the pursuit to a close at the earliest possible opportunity if only for the safety of other road users.

Some of that onboard footage also does little to convince the viewer that the officers riding is any better than the person being pursued and in some cases worse.

Police riders/drivers do go through a lot of training and by and large are very competent but when the red mist descends the standard of riding is often no better than the average rider as the accident statistics seem to suggest.

Sometimes i think that they are using their priviledge as a police officer to have legalised fun.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices