Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Should police use unmarked bikes? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Should police use unmarked bikes?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Should police use unmarked bikes?

In this week's MCN we reveal the number of unmarked police bikes – the majority of which are superbikes or powerful sports tourers – that have been involved in accidents. Sussex police, for example, have had 20 accidents in the last five years on unmarked bikes, 12 of them single-vehicle crashes. But quite aside from the implication that some police riders struggle...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (22 May 2012 13:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

No

police themselves are the biggest hypocrites when it comes to speeding, they love it when they're out in the latest top of the range toy whether it be the latest superbike or the X6/M5 /Evo et al

I'm passed daily by cops blatantly breaking speed limits who are obviously not on calls.

Couple of years back (North Yorks) I Saw a bike approaching from behind at very high speed, but he didn't pass but sat very close behind, obviously goading me to go faster. I didn't take the bait, as immediately I thought, 'unmarked cop bike', he followed me for a few miles until I'd had enough and turned into a layby, at which point he passed then turned around and went back the way we'd come.

Pure entrapment. Since then I've heard other people talk of aggressive behaviour by the cops in that area.

Having unmarked doesn't aid road safety, it just boosts the targets they're given.

Reply to this Topic
Toots3D

May 12

Toots3D says:

YES, they should use unmarked bikes more often. Maybe I wouldn't have had so many speeding points if they had used them when I was riding :~) On a serious note as Norris has said, the Police should learn to be less hypocritical and ride within speed limits also. If we all disregarded the speed limits, the roads would be pure chaos.

Reply to this Topic
nigel966

Jun 09

nigel966 says:

Why not.

Of course they should . It is only the law breakers that have anything to fear. The police are only responding to the public backlash against motorcyclists in general that has been created by the mindless minority who tear through villages at top speed. The sooner these morons are taken off the road and the streets are reclaimed by the law abiding majority the better.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Can we be honest for a second?

Many - not all, many - Plod bikers are just slaphead hoons who enjoy the thrill of having a chase, and then the money shot of giving a moaning faced hypocritical lecture at the end of it about why what you did was unsafe.

To be clear: it's farcical that Plod follow other bikes and then do the riders for careless or dangerous driving, having made exactly the same judgements and performed exactly the same maneuvers themselves.

And don't give me that "highly trained" tosh, I know plenty of Plod who have stacked cars by over-estimating their skill. My nearest miss to date has been with a Plodmobile which caned it straight through a roundabout while indicating left from a left turn lane, and my only speeding tax was levied on a road where the local Plod can be seen regularly caning it up and down themselves, making the same decision that I made regarding the appopriateness of the posted limit.

If Plod want to actually improve road safety, get them out with small looking bikes with L plates on them, and they can catch all the cager cretins who tailgate and pull rage overtakes.  Not as easy as handing out speed tax, or as lucrative as sending folk off to the Chief Constable's brother-in-law's "speed awareness" course though, so I don't see it happening.

Reply to this Topic
Wade90

Mar 07

Wade90 says:

Put to good use?

I wish they'd use them to catch all the idoits I see when commuting on thier phones, especially the ones with the phone in their lap texting, emailing etc.  Had one the other day jump on his brakes in the fast last on the A27 the other day, just because the car at least 50m in front touched his brakes, it was at the exact moment he decided to look up from his lap!  I had to swerve into the inside lane to avoid being rear ended by the van behind!

Its amazing how they always look up in time to see a marked police vehicle and avoid being caught, an unmarked bike would be the perfect solution.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
slparry

Aug 02

slparry says:

YES

If your obs are that poor that you cannot figure it's trafpol behind you then you really need to skill up.

However, I'd like to see more use of unmarked bikes to have a purge on the idiots I see in cars texting and generally pissing about with mobile phones. This, in my opinion, is a far more serious safety issue than someone riding a few mph over a limit.

Reply to this Topic
DOCTIRED

Oct 06

DOCTIRED says:

Well.........

They can impersonate us if they don't mind us impersonating them!

Reply to this Topic
daveb

Aug 02

daveb says:

The number of crashes isn't actually that surprising - bear in mind that forces also use unmarked bikes to surveil much bigger fish than speeding bikers. This often involves high speed, covert surveillance - often at night, sometimes without lights to maintain a discrete tail. Frankly, if the bikers are like the morons who plague the 30mph villages of Surrey with 60+ mph drive-bys then all power to plod's elbow.

Reply to this Topic
Ddod

May 12

Ddod says:

slightly off topic...got caught in a speed trap whilst driving a car (they set it after a part of road with new speed restrictions knowing that vehicles would speed up after from frustration).  I was honest about the speed I went and was polite,  but mentioned worst thing was a black points would put my bike insurance up.  Could tell by their body language I wasn't really the boy racer they were expecting.  Got the 60 squid fine but when I collected my licence back - no black points  - they did me a favour.

Reply to this Topic
essarremm

Jun 06

essarremm says:

Unmarked Police Bikes - the 'other' side

I'm all in favour of unmarked bikes, if only for the chance that all motorists will get the message that maybe the motorcycle they cut up, abuse or pull out in front of MAY be a policeman - perhaps it'll make them think?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices