Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mikeyzf600

Mar 12

mikeyzf600 says:

Got Taken Out

Hi Guys and Girls,

Well, as the title suggests, I got taken out today. Here's the story. 

I was in the right hand lane of a dual carriageway, and came to a roundabout. I was continuing straight on which is fine in the right hand lane. There was a car ever so slightly in front of me in the left hand lane. 

Just before I exited the roundabout straight on, the car on my left without indicator or warning, decided he wanted to go right on the roundabout, and cut straight across me. I tried to brake/avoid but it was too late and we collided. 

I came off, landing on my hip and elbow. He stopped, and my bike carried on around the roundabout, coming to a stop, and then falling on its side. 

The driver was from Belgium. Therefore I rang the police because he could leave the country at any second. When I mentioned the police, he tried to ask me not to ring them. 

I have 2 witnesses who saw what happened. It's clear to me he has broken the highway code, rule 185 I believe from memory. 

I was wondering what everyone thinks the outcome will be? 

On another note, my insurers seem very helpful, including sorting out a replacement bike while mine is off the road. 

Also one of the witnesses was driving a lorry and kindly loaded my bike on to it and dropped us home!

I'm absolutely gutted. I love my bike but very worried that it'll be written off. It was a slow 20mph-ish impact so I'm hoping it'll be ok. 

Has anyone had any experiences with foreign drivers and accidents? 

Regards

Mike

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (22 May 2012 23:29)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Taken out

Sorry to hear about your accident Mike.  Being a driver from another EU country things should be straightforward.  Sounds like you have his details along with a couple of witnesses so just let your insurance company sort out the details - after all, that's what you pay them for.   

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

lanes

Any accident is bad news,Mike you was in the right hand lane and the car driver was in the left hand lane,my question is WHO changed lanes?

Reply to this Topic
mikeyzf600

Mar 12

mikeyzf600 says:

Taken Out

Luckily the Police got all his details which I've now passed onto the insurers. 

Jaffa - the way the road layout was that the left lane could go left or straight on, right lane could go straight on or right. He was in the left lane and then cut into my lane to go right at the last minute. 

Regards

Mike

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

lanes

good job you`ve got witnesses on him changing lanes.

A lot of roundabouts do not have lanes because of large vehicles taking all lanes,also do not overtake any vehicle on a roundabout to keep safe. :smile 

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

The car

was ever so slightly in front in the other lane?

Without sounding down at you, could you (or were you) in the car's blind spot? (Bear in mind a Belgian car will have been left hand drive, possibly making it worse).

I had one the other day on the A1 motorway - car up front, so I overtook it. A few miles later they were trying to re-overtake me, awkwardly positioned (occasionally creeping up and dropping back so I could just see it in the mirror with constant checking), indecisive as to whether they'd go or not. Getting tired of it, I dropped back a bit and let him go. Eventually got (well) past him a few miles later.

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

RBT Lanes

Worst thing about RBTs is that many drivers don't negotiate them correctly.

Eve when there are no lane marking, if the road is wide enough for 2 lanes you should treat them as if there are 2 marked lanes.

OK so HGV may need to straddle lanes but driver should know & expect this.

Unless lane marking show otherwise then the left lane is for exits at 12 o'clock position or before, right lane for 12 o'clock position  or after (your approach is classed as 6 o'clock position).

So Mike, it was his fault.

There is a RBT near where I live where there is enough room for 2 HGV to go round side by side yet I often see cars turning left that almost hit the kerb on the RBT, & they don't even know they have done anything wrong.

The fact he is Belgium & may be in a LHD car means he should take extra care, it is not an excuse for bad driving.

Hope you are ok & get things sorted.

Reply to this Topic
ACIC

Apr 06

ACIC says:

Accident with foreign driver on roundabout

Hi Mike. I have dealt with lots or roundabout accidents and claims involving foreigners. I wouldn't worry too much about the fact he is Belgian although makie sure your lawyer knows how to deal with claims involving foreign drivers and the procedure sis slightly different. Unfortuantley lots of roundabout accidents end up being 50/50 due to the Court of Appeal case of Grace -v- Tanner. I suggest you get detailed witness evidence together asap while it is all fresh in their minds. Kind regards, Andrew Campbell, Soilicitor www.BikeLawyer.co.uk 014476 794169. andrew@bikelawyer.co.uk

MCN Legal Expert and MCN Law columnist

Reply to this Topic
mikeyzf600

Mar 12

mikeyzf600 says:

Thanks

Thanks for the support first of all. Im a bit battered and bruised but ok. My bike is in a worse state though and I'm praying she's not a write off. I'll be gutted if it is. 

Jaffa-I wasn't overtaking him on the roundabout. That's the last thing I would do. But thanks for the advice. 

AdieR- He was slightly but I make a point of being able to see the driver in the mirrors. I think it could have been avoided if he either checked his mirrors/did a shoulder check before, or if he abided by the highway code. 

Makem - thats exactly how I see it. Hopefully that's how it'll be settled by the insurers as well. 

ACIC - thanks for your advice. Surely though because I have a witness that can testify that he was in the left hand lane and then went to turn right, no signals or anything, that it'll go against him? 

Regards

Mike

Reply to this Topic
mikeyzf600

Mar 12

mikeyzf600 says:

I Also Meant to Add...

I also meant to add that the people handling my claim, ULR Additions, have advised me that it's in my best interests to make a claim on my own insurance and then get the costs back from the 3rd party if they admit fault. I think they advised this so that I could get my bike back on the road as soon as possible.

Do you agree with this? Or would you suggest waiting for the 3rd party to pay up? As this is my first ever accident and therefore claim, I'm a little unsure of how it all works.:huh:

Regards

Mike

Reply to this Topic
mikeyzf600

Mar 12

mikeyzf600 says:

Advice

Any advice on the claims process guys? 

Regards

Mike

Reply to this Topic

Page