Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: How much safety gear do I really need? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: How much safety gear do I really need?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: How much safety gear do I really need?

When I got my first big bike last year I bought an armoured jacket and trousers and decent gloves and boots. The problem is they are really hot and uncomfortable when the sun comes out. How much safety gear do I really need? Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish the best in MCN. Got a question? Click here...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 May 2012 09:47)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
slparry

Aug 02

slparry says:

not sure

A few years ago I had the misfortune to encounter, on my ZX12R, a Volvo estate with a trailer reversing around a corner on a busy main road. I was only doing 40 ish mph at the time, with the limited amount of space to brake I reckon I got it down to 20mph. Clipped a cats eye and went down. The bike slid from the trailer wheel to the drivers door which I guess displays how relatively slow it was.

However, my then girlfriend hit the trailer and suffered a ruptured spleen, broken femur and broken arm. This was despite the fact she was wearing full 1 piece CE approved race leathers with all of the armour installed.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that because you have your armoured approved helmet, gloves, suit etc that you're somehow invincible!

We are all bags of water and guts that is a highly fragile structure. If you come to an immediate stop at anything above 20mph the chances are your brain will still travel at speed and pulp on the inside of your skull!

The old adage of "be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear" is a good one.

Reply to this Topic
likesitfast

Sep 11

likesitfast says:

skin

I like my skin attached to my body, wear leathers in all weathers. One piece summer suit and 2 piece all weather suit. Up to you how much you want to risk.

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

safety gear

Riding home with a pair of jeans on and a short sleeve shirt glorious weather and feels absolutely fantastic to feel free and warm air on the skin. Will let you know if I come off tomorrow or get knocked down by a bus, hit by a lorry or all the other million and one risks there are. Have a look at the french bike cops in the south of france see what they are wearing, american cops etc.... 

Reply to this Topic
ascutt

Apr 03

ascutt says:

I tell myself....

Sweat dries faster than skin heals When I was young and dumb (16) I discovered that jeans, Doc Martins, woollen gloves and an M1A jacket are no match for tarmac. Lesson learnt. For the hottest days of the year I have summer boots, gloves, mesh armoured jacket and kelvar jeans.

Reply to this Topic
rosst1989

Jul 10

rosst1989 says:

Agree with Bikenutter

In town I will occasionally wear just a t-shirt and jeans... I ride a pushbike at 30mph so not really any different on a motorbike. However I won't wear shorts... the thought of coming off in town in a slow speed spill and getting caught under the bike is scary... the burns could be horrendous. As for out of town I always wear Kevlar Jeans, boots, gloves and a leather jacket at a minimum. Clothing technology is very good these days and it should be possible to buy well ventilated and protective gear, although you might have to pay for it!

Reply to this Topic
Pekkers

May 12

Pekkers says:

After a reasonably low speed crash, four months, two weeks in hospital, five pins, two plates and a bone graft, I can safely say my kit saved my life. Always wear protection (snigger). Saw a guy today on a busa wearing shorts and flip flops........ If you're going to gamble you've got to consider the risks. I didnt always wear full kit, but I always will now!

Reply to this Topic
lgoldup

Sep 11

lgoldup says:

ATGATT

All the gear...All the time! ;) Remember that squids!

Reply to this Topic
david1991

Apr 12

david1991 says:

thermals

wear just a good thermal top (climate control or something like that i think they should say on them) under your jacket in summer keeps you cool, also my trousers have a removable lining which makes a big difference have a look for that

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

2 items

The bits either side of your nose and the thing between your ears!

Reply to this Topic
momomomo

Apr 12

momomomo says:

really?

Mate, the only sensible comment I have seen is the one remind you that despite all the gear and the safety features there is no substitute for engaging your brain.  Easy to say that all the gear saves your life and yet I only ever wear the helmet and gloves (always) and a motorcycling jacket without the hard bits.  When its hot...  Suit and tie.    I have had a few accidents in 27 years of riding but with hindsight I could have avoided 90% of them.  Ultimately (and I know I am going to get bombed with bollocks like every other time I express my opinion) if you are that worried you get a car.  I can assure you that if we had proper summers we wouldn't even be having this conversation.  Wear as much or as little as you feel confortable.  If then you are the kind of prick that rides at 100mph in built up areas I am sorry to say that there is no amount of gear that will save you.  You will be just an accident waiting to happen. 

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices