Skip to content

Ask an Expert Mod 2 Failed a second time, feel like giving up Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Mod 2 Failed a second time, feel like giving up

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Averroes

May 12

Averroes says:

Mod 2 Failed a second time, feel like giving up

Hi guys, I have recently been taking motorcycle lessons, aced my mod 1 with 0 minors. Then come my mod 2. My riding is apparently spot on according to my instructors yet I failed twice in unbelievable circumstances. 

Im not one for excuses as they never get you anywhere. You can lie to others but never yourself so whats the point however in both tests i cannot believe I had failed.

First test I had 2 minors for gears and 1 serious. The serious he gave me for not overtaking a tractor like vehicle when he felt i should have. There were a few factors which made me delay the overtake. First there were solid white central line on my side ie. no overtaking allowed unless the vehicle has its yellow beacon on and travelling less than 10mph. The vehicle was traveling just under 20mph although it had its beacon on. Secondly my view ahead was blocked as the vehicle was very wide so would have been an unsafe manouver in my opinion. Once the road ahead was more visible by which the central line was broken I overtook safely. I was given a serious for not making progression according to the examiner. I felt hard done by but thought o well nevermind, if he sees it that way what can i say, ultimately his decision stands regardless of how much I try proving him wrong.

Second test was even worse. At least the examiner made up for the first test, he was actually a nice funny bloke which sort of eased the pain of failing. This time round I had the most miserable guy ever. My riding once again went well, i enjoyed it and baffled to find I had failed. This time two serious mistakes and neither made sense.

Examiner in the debrief mentioned the road which I supposedly turned onto to remind me where i made the error, weirdly enough I never even travelled on that road. So after a bit of "confusion" from the examiner he remembered which road it was, apparently it was 3 minutes before test was over.

Which waiting in traffic a recklace driver overtook several vehicles on the wrong side of the road like an idiot. Nothing to do with anyone waiting in traffic. Just a total idiot driver thinks he can pull an illegal manouver. Examiner first claimed the guy cut me up because i was too far to the right yet he was actually the exact same distance from the pavement as I was. Furthermore, I was waiting alongside a parked vehicle, had i been even less than a foot too close to the vehicle he would have done me for going past a parked vehicle too closely. His line was the same as mine and I cant believe he picked me for this. It was baseless. Finally literally 30 seconds before im back at the test centre he give me a serious for going through amber, he said i should have stopped but i was at point of no return. Had i stopped he would have done me for hesitation, the lights were green when i approached, they turned amber exactly as i went past them.

Best of all, and I kid you not this is gods honest truth. I felt I was sworn at lol. Since the radio is voice activated, when I went through the amber incident he was left behind as he was stuck behind another vehicle. On the radio he told me to pull up, as he finished his instruction he probably assumed the radios cut out and whispered "stupid effin wanxxer". Now I cant prove it was aimed at me but who else would he have said it to lol.

I dont know what on earth I am supposed to do in order to pass. I really felt like giving up honestly, I slept on it last night and had a change of mind but i need some advice. I want to find fault inmyself so at least I know I can improve to pass. But I cant do anything better to change my riding as its fine.

Please help

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 May 2012 22:30)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

test

I`m clueless with todays tests but how many instructors have you?

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Test

I have not taken a modern test as I took mine in 1979.  (On a 250 with almost no previous instruction - those were the days!) 

I would suggest that you need to take these issues up with your riding instructors as they will have abetter idea of what the examiner is looking for.  They will also be familiar with your roadcraft.

Remember that you are not learning to ride - you are learning to pass a test.  Honing your riding skills will come later.  So don't be too diappointed if you are having a few issues jumping through the legislative hoops.

If it is any consolation it happens to others too.  I spent two years trying to get throught the IAM test and was never considered to reach 'test standard' by the observers.  

Keep at it, you'll get there in the end.          

Reply to this Topic
Averroes

May 12

Averroes says:

instructors

Hi Jaffa, well I have the one instructor. However its a big riding school and the owner of the centre took me out for my lesson two days before my test as my instructor took some time off. And considering hes never seen me ride before, the one thing he picked on throughout my two hour session was at times Im extra cautious and stop at give ways which I dont need to. As soon as he picked on this, Ive become more proactive and changed this but im so upset, it seems like doesnt matter what I do, they will make something up to fail you :'(

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

instructor

Many years ago when my dad was a driving instructor (passed his test the third time) he made a name for himself as a last resort for learners who could not pass their tests,after hearing and sitting in the back seat (learning myself) i realised that they could not drive.

After a few no bullshit instructions (tears) from my dad they went on to pass.

I suggest you change your instructor. :smile

Reply to this Topic
Averroes

May 12

Averroes says:

instructors

but buddy, these guys are the most renound in the whole city. All my friends, relatives have passed with these guys.

The thing is, what ive failed on doesnt add up. The first incident i suppose its his opinion over mine as to whats a safe moment to make the move and question on the speed the vehicle was doing in front but the second was just baseless 

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

You

keep saying instructorS and guyS,

maybe third time lucky,

my first motorcycle lesson from my dad was go out and kill yourself,if you don`t others will try. 

i was lucky to be taught to drive as well as pass the car test after.

Reply to this Topic
Averroes

May 12

Averroes says:

test

suppose buddy. I just wish it was as easy as knowing i made a blatant error so i dont make it again hence why im so upset and dont know what on earth to do. Ill give it another try lets hope its different lol

Reply to this Topic
gpx250rider

May 12

gpx250rider says:

good luck

sorry to hear you failed again . I`m about to start the process and hoping to go through smoothly . There is so much to think about these days it`s not easy to pass . I guess my advice would be continue training . You will need to find out where you are going wrong and correct it before you attempt again or you are probably going to fail again if you just re-take the test.

Good luck with the next one fella !

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

been there

i know how u feel , failed twice , 1st rode really well with only one error , pulled over on double yellows on a street that had them the full length of it , second was my fault i fell to pieces and had a nightmare , third time i passed with 3 minors , my advice is chill out as much as you can dont let it get to you get a couple more lessons and im sure you will pass keep the faith and good luck

Reply to this Topic
yoyo100

May 09

yoyo100 says:

More practice/training

Gutted for you mate, you didn't mention if you were doing DAS or using a 125, you seem to be have been really unlucky, another lesson before the next text or if you are on your own 125 go over the two test routes a few times.

Whatever you do make sure you take your instructor in with you next time, you could argue the toss with them and you can change their mind. Happened to a friend of mine, she pulledout on a round about but justified what went on and he passed her.

Don't listen to people who tell you they have a failure quota they have to hit, it's a pile of nonsense!

Keep at it! You'll get it next time!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices