You are in... Forums > General > General > Child pillions

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

RRIS

May 12

RRIS says:

Child pillions

Hi. What are your views on carrying children as pillions? My seven-year-old's feet reach the pillion footpegs so it's legal. I have over 20 years' experience as a motorcyclist. Is seven too young? What age is acceptable? Thanks.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 May 2012 17:06)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RRIS

May 12

RRIS says:

Thanks

Thanks for the advice everyone. Disapproval from other parents is probably as much of a worry as anything else. BaldE35 - I'm not sure I would have been as rational as you with the Brownie leader.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jonny68

Mar 09

jonny68 says:

Child pillions

I didn't let my kids on the pillion seat until they were in their early teens, the reason being I wanted to ensure that they understood the potential risks that were involved so that they could make an informed decision if they wanted to ride. There is also an element of maturity at this age when the dangers are understood. 

Its also worth mentioning that bikes are erganomically designed for adults, and young children simply won't fit properly.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
NORTHERNHELLBOY

Feb 10

JONNY68..

I agree 100% with you that children should be able to make an informed dicision, you can't force them...BUT, I can not agree that you beleave, "bikes are erganomically designed for adults, and young children simply won't fit properly. "

Yeah, bikes are erganomically designed for adults to RIDE , but they are not erganomically designed for pillions. Have you ever been on the back of a sports bike?  There is NO way that position has been EG'd.  ..in fact, the smaller the package, the better.

In this modern world, everyone will look at everything, and find some sort of danger, me for example: I'm scared of horse's, and won't let my children ride a horse..they can if they want when they are older. But not now.

:smile

Reply to this Topic
jonny68

Mar 09

jonny68 says:

NORTHERNHELLBOY

Yes that maybe true of sports bikes where the pillion seat is an after thought anyway and the designs happen to accomadate a small child or a crunched up adult but more conventional bikes or something like my old Tiger 955 well thats a bit different and issues do arise where children can just about get their feet on the foot rests. Many of these bikes have quite wide saddles and this is where the problem often arises. This is a minor point anyway and yes you are right many bikes are fine for smaller children but it is an issue that should be considered when making that decision to take your youngster out.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle