Skip to content

Ask an Expert Which 125? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Which 125?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mhayes87

May 12

mhayes87 says:

Which 125?

Hello all.

I'm looking for a new 125 to get me prepared for when I eventually upgrade to something along the lines of a zx6, r6 etc...

My bike's my only form of transport so something reliable would be nice. So far after a bit of shopping around i'm looking at an Aprilia rs125 (2007, 5k miles, £1500)
Alternatively I could pick up a Yamaha yzf r125 for around the same price with 10k miles.
Or last but not least there's a Yamaha tzr125 (1993, ??miles, recent rebuild, £600)
All the above would be getting checked out by a mechanic friend before I part with any of my hard-earned.

What are tzr's like for reliability? so far i've not read good things about the rs but damnit the thing excites me more than the others and are they really that bad if it's looked after well?

My only biking experience until now has been on a scooter so I need to learn how to use a clutch, should this factor at all into my decision?
My heart screams Aprilia but my head says Yamaha :wacko:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (24 May 2012 18:38)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

what u lookin for

aprilla prob more fun , but id go for the Yam it will give you a more sensible ride , i started with a honda cbf125 and loved it wait till uve passed ur test then get something sportier 

Reply to this Topic
mhayes87

May 12

mhayes87 says:

subject

I've done some more searching about and found a 2011 yzf r 125 with 400 miles on the clock for less than £2k, which sounds like an absolute bargain to me.

After I've passed my test could it be derestricted or would I be stuck with the 12hp? It's a lot of money to spend on something that might be a little boring in a few months if I can't make it go any faster.

Reply to this Topic
yoyo100

May 09

yoyo100 says:

12HP is your lot

There's not a lot you can do to push the HP up, if you are planning on keeping it for a while then they are a cracking bike but if you are going to pass your test ASAP and buy a zX6 (I've got a 2000 plate one and it's awesome!) then I'd got for something cheaper that will be easier to sell one A good CG125 or CBF125 will be easy to learn on and you could sell it for pretty much what you paid for it too!

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

125s

The YFZ should be VERY reliable, as it's a 4 stroke.

The TZR125 should also be reliable as long as it's looked after and you use DECENT 2 stroke oil. It's also VERY EASY to derestrict and is very nearly as fast as the RS125.

RS125 is a highly strung, Italian 2 stroke. If it seizes, you need to buy a NEW barrel and piston. The TZR can be rebored.

I'd go for the TZR for cheap reliable fun. I've had 2, and they BOTH did 100mph according to the speedo.

Reply to this Topic
mhayes87

May 12

mhayes87 says:

Thanks for the advice.

I think our laws in the Channel Islands are different to the mainland UK, i'm currently on L plates and after passing my test will have to ride on a fully restricted bike for 1 year before I can move onto anything bigger/faster :/ (legally)

My main reason for choosing one of these bikes instead of something cheaper like a trailbike is to somewhat get used to the feel and handling of a race style bike making the eventual jump up in power a little safer.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

My advice

get a decent Honda CG125 - not the most exciting, but cheap reliable transport / riding practice, loads of spares / service, and run forever on a tank of fuel and are easily insurable and won't make you cry if you drop it.

The clutch bit isn't hard, but will take some getting used to if you've been on an auto (bearing in mind your clutch will be where you're used to having the rear brake, and your rear brake will be down by your right foot) - a few hours with an instructor should see you right (though it depends how quickly you pick things up).

When you go to a big bike, again, I'd go for an "ordinary" 500 / 600 (Bandit / SV650 / ER6f etc.) before you go to the ZX6R / R6 - they'll be far easier to insure, and won't tie themselves in knots at the first hint of an error.

Reply to this Topic
mhayes87

May 12

mhayes87 says:

So I ended up going for the Yamaha yzf :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:  thank you all for the input.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices