Skip to content

Discuss This HRC boss: No way to change Casey Stoner’s mind on retirement MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > HRC boss: No way to change Casey Stoner’s mind on retirement

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

HRC boss: No way to change Casey Stoner’s mind on retirement

Casey Stoner’s Repsol Honda boss Livio Suppo says HRC didn’t try and talk the Australian out of his shock decision to retire from full-time racing at the end of 2012. Stoner stunned the racing world when he announced on the eve of last weekend’s French Grand Prix at Le Mans his decision to leave MotoGP when he will be aged just...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (25 May 2012 10:53)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

Suppo.........

“Honestly since I’ve known Casey since 2007 he has always been a bit like that. He likes racing and hates a lot of other things around it and it is difficult for him to suffer the things he doesn’t like.”

Recently I too have been drawing some similarities between Stoner and a rider I rate probably a little higher (in my own twisted little mind), Freddie Spencer. But this statement by Suppo is much more comperable to Eddie Lawson. If there was ever a guy who didn't really want a mike in his face, hated interviews (especially when they kept mentioning Spencer which would be Rossi to Stoner), disliked all the PR and unnecessary travel, and didn't play well with the officials either. Wierd really.......... Stoner rides a bit like Spencer and feels like Lawson.

Bootlegger - What did Schwantz say? Link? Also just for those who may not know; did you not mean "Erv knew it back then with Freddie", in the opening lines of your first post?

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

What Schwantz said

I just remember, my take on racing in my career when I did it, was, it was a whole lot of work, and it was a whole lot of pain and suffering, but there was an hour on Sunday that made it all absolutely worth every last bit of work I had to do.

That one line is the crux of it all.

He no longer gets the enjoyment he once did from that one hour racing in a series that he believes is going, irretrievably, in the wrong direction. And when the enjoyment stops, when that one thing that you enjoyed is no longer there to help the intolerable seem tolerable, then what is there to carry on for. 

The reasons he has given are honest and open and he has stood by his convictions. He doesn't look at it as an easy earner for the next few years. Money and fame and attention aren't the reasons he does it. Purely racing. The joy has gone. Time to stop.

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Thanks Willie

Erv and Honda it was back then. I guess I got lost in the fog circa 1983 Roberts/Spencer. The link as pointed out by Bulto is correct. One bitter bloke is Kevin Schwantz. A great racer he was and I respect his continued involvement in everything 2 wheel racing. Mouthing off about Stoner this and that is much like Rossi and JB saying the bloke is not trying hard enough on the Ducati.

Crikey Kevin...talk about quit.

Its not like he got out the game by virtue of injury. He just plain after Wayne was disabled. I don't blame him though. Doohan had him lined up for breakfast,lunch and supper. Rainey and Lawson owned the clown of the day.

Valentino is way gamer and smarter than Kevin, as is Casey.

Where does that leave Schwantz ?

A huge critic of Casey Stoner and thats all.

Nevermind Kevin. Like Casey you will never be forgotten in the anals of GP history for whatever reason.

I reckon Kev and Ben don't speak to each other much either.

Reply to this Topic
trailler

Jul 09

trailler says:

schwantz

He likes to get his claws in.......meeoow!!.:lol:

Reply to this Topic
trailler

Jul 09

trailler says:

Ben spies

There is a rumour going round that B.S has been told that he is finnished at the end of the season , and - wait for this - that he has been in talks with Team Duck.....:shock:

Reply to this Topic
YamahaRacer

May 12

YamahaRacer says:

That could be a possibillity Spies moving to Ducati I wouldn't rule it out.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
trailler

Jul 09

trailler says:

B.Spies .

Why would they be intrested in B.S ? , just look at his performace this year!!.......not to hot  , to say the least.

So are the storys true about what is happening with Ben's crew at yamaha , cracked frames , not helping him with bike set up.......and so on! . Must be intense times at yamaha at the moment .

When you watch him on track , you would think he wasnt giving a monkeys . He seemed to have lost intrest........ . Could he be suffering from C.S syndrome?!! .

Reply to this Topic
YamahaRacer

May 12

YamahaRacer says:

Shattered confidence sums it up qualify well but feck it up when it really matters on the big day he can't use bogey circuits as an excuse IMO the Spies/House combo could break up come end of the season rider power in this always comes out on top just ask Dovi he did the same on Pete Benson in his first season on that works Honda machine.

Spies to Ducati another reason why I think it could happen well he does have residence in Italy.

Reply to this Topic
chipsandgravy

Feb 11

Is the irony lost on Kevin

where he (from Benny's link, cheers Benny), seems to reckon he couldn't care at all, only to give what comes across is an article tinged with a bit of bitterness and/or disrespect? It's hard to put printed words into context sometimes, but this article gives the impression Schwantz is personally affected by the whole thing, all the while saying he doesn't really care (quite a lot).

Make up your mind Kevin, which is it? Do you actually not care, or do you, deep down, care rather a lot. So much so you feel you have to come out and say just how much you don't.

Maybe this type of paddock-people in MotoGP is what CS is referring to.....don't get me wrong, Kevin Schwantz is a somebody in the paddock, a bloody big somebody, but can't help but feel this is (a) nothing to do with him, and (b) why he seems to feel so aggrieved at him leaving. Yet another cheap shot from an outsider, exactly what CS has said the paddock has become.

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

chipsandgravy

It has a lot less to do with Schwantz and a lot to do with media morons looking for some sensation or if it is really slow any old dross to stir up some controversy. Because Kevin didn't agree with Casey checking out for a few races in 2010, because he had no obvious physical injury, he is a prime target for the media to use to create a little dust cloud between GP's.

Most things in print are misinterpreted because we do not have any body language, tone, or inflection, to accurately guage how a person is responding to a question. We often miss the true meaning. Happens on this forum every minute of everyday.

I have no opinion either way on this one although I am highly confident that Casey doesn't care how Kevin repied to the question and I don't really think Kevin cares (not in an aggresive way) that Casey is retiring. His only other crime is to opine that he thought that Casey seemed to be an unhappy person around the paddock which maybe he is, I don't know the man neither does anyone else on this forum. People are people and I am certain there are things that make Casey laugh and smile but seemingly from most peoples point of view it isn't anything or anybody around the GP circus. So what? I think Casey's dour demeanor is just accentuated by what people see with Rossi at the other end of the spectrum. Most people prefer to be around lively, happy, characters who laugh and clown around.

It takes a special character to drive or ride fast and the best are usually at the extreme end of the personality spectrum. Examples, the morbidly dour, focused, noncommunicative bores no one wants to hang around with. F1 - Michael Shumacher, Nigel Mansell, Mika Hakkinen, Nikki Lauda. Bikes - Lawson, Stoner, Pons, Doohan, Pedrosa, Read. Examples, the ebullient, happy, joker, which people are attracted to. F1 - Graham Hill, James Hunt, Button, Johnny Herbert, etc. Bikes - Mamola, Rossi, Hailwood, Ago, Sheene and Schwantz. Funny how I found it harder to name the fun guys in F1? Bikes are sooo much cooler.

Peace, love, and happiness to you all....... Ciao Mama's!!!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices