Skip to content

Discuss This Classic bikes exempt from MoT General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Classic bikes exempt from MoT

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Classic bikes exempt from MoT

Bikes made before 1960 will no longer have to pass an MoT test, the Government has confirmed. They will be exempt along with other vehicles of the same age from November 18 this year. Roads Minister Mike Penning said: “Owners of classic cars and motorbikes tend to be enthusiasts who maintain their vehicles well. They don’t need to be told to look...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (25 May 2012 18:15)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
hondmog

Oct 08

hondmog says:

m o t

Sorry i do not agree with this mot exemption , as a mot tester i still see some classic bikes fail as not all owners are capable of looking after them . Some owners only own them as a investment not for using . there is always the chance the owner misses something , not all owners are perfect as not all mot testers are but we dont all do it for the money , some of us like to see old bikes used .

I also own a vintage car and as i have not got a car ramp it means i can check underneath whilst it is up in the air and having its mot check over . 

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

How often do you see a pre-1960 bike for an MOT?

Context free anecdote is context free.

Reply to this Topic
lgoldup

Sep 11

lgoldup says:

25 years?

Is it still a 'Classic' if it's over 25 years old? My lil' MT50s 25 in 2 years...

Reply to this Topic
EVELKNIEVEL

Oct 06

EVELKNIEVEL says:

mot not worth the paper it's printed on, so i don't see the problem with it

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

No fun...

So you can’t legally ride something like this in the UK?  : (

photos.imageevent.com/motorbiker/newspics3/rat-scooter-28.jpg

Reply to this Topic
ianselva

May 12

ianselva says:

No MOT

Youre all missing the point its not the Classic bikes that are on the road at the moment but all the rusty , un MOT able relics ( cars especially) that  are in lockups and barns that will now be able to be sold and appear on the roads.

Knowing this government for it's venal, corrupt, backhanding ways and their obsession with privatisation, that they may have already done a deal "behind the scenes" with the insurance industry to outsource the MOT on old pre-60 cars and bikes, to someone like Kwikfit, Halfords etc, one or more of the tyre/battery/accessory type people to carry out annual, allegedly less demanding, old vehicle "friendly" "inspection" , in lieu of the Official VOSA MOT test, without which you won't be able to get insurance ?
Carried out by some spotty youth with no qualifications, experience or knowledge, paid minimum wage of course, whose engineering knowledge extends usually fitting wiper blades and batteries ( badly!) and for which a new class of V5 "Collectors Car or motorcycle" will be compulsory?

Ian

Reply to this Topic
manxybanksy

Feb 06

manxybanksy says:

"Roads Minister Mike Penning said: “Owners of classic cars and motorbikes tend to be enthusiasts who maintain their vehicles well" So I guess people who spend £6k or more on a 3 year old bike are likely to be non enthusiasts who simply don't give a toss about whether or not their 180mph missile is safe? Hmmmm, I smell shite.

Reply to this Topic
manxybanksy

Feb 06

manxybanksy says:

"Roads Minister Mike Penning said: “Owners of classic cars and motorbikes tend to be enthusiasts who maintain their vehicles well"" So I guess people who spend £6k or more on a 3 year old bike are likely to be non enthusiasts who simply don't give a toss about whether or not their 180mph missile is safe? Hmmmm, I smell shite.

Reply to this Topic
manxybanksy

Feb 06

manxybanksy says:

Apologies...

...for duplicate posting, my ZX80 seems to be playing up ;)

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

Oh Dear

We have got our knickers in a twist have'nt we!

Mr Pennings choice of words may be unfortunate, and Manxy's point is a fair one,  but pre-1960 cars/bikes/whatever tend to do less mileage - my VH does 1500 ish miles pa (although I am lucky enough to have other bikes as well). In these circumstances, the MOT is really just another tax - and to answer the " enthusiast and MOTer" arguments, owners of 50+ year old bikes/cars know they need more fettling - that's part of the ownership experience. They are no more or less enthusiastic than anyone else, however we also have self-preservation as No1 priority and that is why we will continue to ensure our vehicles are roadworthy and if they are not, you can be sure Plod will catch up with stuff like the bike portrayed by Piglet!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices