Skip to content

Discuss This Classic bikes exempt from MoT General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Classic bikes exempt from MoT

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Classic bikes exempt from MoT

Bikes made before 1960 will no longer have to pass an MoT test, the Government has confirmed. They will be exempt along with other vehicles of the same age from November 18 this year. Roads Minister Mike Penning said: “Owners of classic cars and motorbikes tend to be enthusiasts who maintain their vehicles well. They don’t need to be told to look...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (25 May 2012 18:15)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Calm down, dears

All swallows are birds, but not all birds swallow.  Just because (nearly) all owners of pre-1960 bikes maintain them scrupulously doesn't imply that any particular owner of a more modern bike doesn't.  It's not a personal insult.

And ianselva, you may want to take a second to think about the relationship between insurance and MOT.  You need insurance to ride to an MOT, you don't (generally) need an MOT to get insurance.  Yes, some insurers do try to make having an MOT as a condition of validating the insurance, but they're not likely to be the underwriters who offer classic policies.  If you're wondering where the government came up with the figures for crashes involving classic vehicles, it's far more likely to be from the insurance industry than from any State agency.  Insurers love classic vehicles; they know that they tend to be maintained and driven/ridden with care.

There's not enough swill in this trough for any snouts to get in it.  There's no scary sinister tentacled conspiracy here, it's just cutting some pointless red tape.  More, please.

Reply to this Topic
Ridefree

Jun 08

Ridefree says:

MOT

God help us if we have an accident involving a third party. It'll be invalid insurance, illegel bike if unroadworthy, sued if brakes not up to modern standards, and will a voluntary MOT or bike check actually cost more and be harder to obtain than the present MOT?

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Ridefree

Actually , many insurance companies DO offer classic bike insurance very cheaply because they know they are careful riders. I like the idea really but it seems a bit far off. I mean 1960 is a bit much. Why not 1970 or 80? I would think that is coming into classic bikes nowadays , don't you?

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

EU Policy

Of course , in the EU , bikes don't have to take an MOT at all. Thats one part of EU legislation I would like to see in the UK. You look at any bike on the road today and you will see they are very well looked after.

Reply to this Topic
dazseaton

Dec 09

dazseaton says:

mental..... some people look after vehicles, some use age as an excuse to save on expense and drive lethal wrecks. what a stupid decision.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Mental?

Hey, where I live there are no inspections at all, unless a cop that pulls you over wants to check your lights. As long as you have a salvage title and a matching VIN plate, you can put wheels and a motor on almost anything and use it on the street. But then, we have about 1/20th of the population density of the UK.

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

Issues

The problem with the classic vehicle thing is this.

They use a date rather than an age, so 1960 may seem a good place to start but in 2030 say you may have a bike that is from 1961, but it won't be exempt from the mot even though 69 years old.

That's how it is with the road classic road tax, it's not the age of the vehicle but the date of the vehicle, which seems rather daft.

I've had bikes that are one year off the cut off date for classic and had to pay full road tax, but had it been registered one year earlier and I  would have paid nothing.

So though it sounds like a good idea the law usually works very different.

Reply to this Topic
records1990

May 12

records1990 says:

Classic.

What ever rules and laws they bring out, there will always be a minority who will bend the rules, but this is a step in the right direction, I'd like it to be somewhere like 1980's, but I doubt I will get my way.

Reply to this Topic
daytona106

Sep 05

daytona106 says:

what planet is the government on?

Most of us are going broke while the insurance companies aand oil companies get rich and the government rips us off in insurance tax, fuel duty and VAT. The Eurocrats are trying to stiff us off the road with 'anti-tampering' modification prohibiting rules and by making it so difficult and expensive to get a bike licence most can't be bothered.

but some government quango think-tank  of burocrats can think this is a good idea, surely there is some thing else to better employ their time with.

Reply to this Topic
ivanhoe

Mar 04

ivanhoe says:

MOT

Years ago my bike went through the Mot before I could eat my bacon sandwich and drink my coffee.

Now I have to book a hotel room for the morning while they pontificate for over a computer screen for 75% of the time.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices