Skip to content

Discuss This ‘Syko’ smashes land speed record General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > ‘Syko’ smashes land speed record

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Zoe Richards  says:

‘Syko’ smashes land speed record

A Yorkshire based engineer has set the British land speed record for three wheelers. Graham Sykes rode his 3900cc V8 machine, called ‘The Syko’ at Elvington Airfield near York, reaching a top speed of 180.39 mph. Sykes has been developing the bike, which has two wheels at the front, for over 20 years but the record attempt caused problems: a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (25 May 2012 18:27)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Sheene Fan7

Pay attention. That IS a drag bike with two front wheels. Remember drag bikes are not normally geared for top speed. So because Graham was running the old clutch and primary drive Syko was geared for only 178mph. With the limitation of the gearing and the 25mph winds on the 14th it was always going to be a close run thing. If Graham can sort out the transmission for next time I would assume that he could manage 200mph. And that being from a standing start to a dead stop in 1.8 miles, including the measured section. And yes, MCN got to this story a staggering 11 days after the event! Up to the minute journalism there.

Reply to this Topic
Shagrat57

Nov 11

Shagrat57 says:

Is this an joke article?

You're kidding right?  3900cc V8 and it can only reach 178mph?  Are you sure that 1 shouldn't be a 2, then I'd be impressed.

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

April first was nearly 2 months ago. I don't know what to make of this totally pointless article. A point made several times below is that any training wheeled 1000 would break the British land speed record. Maybe they should change the name of this magazine to MTN 'motor tricycle news'.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Misinformed Comments

Read what Jollyboy wrote and stop all this "my GSXR could go faster with a third wheel" stuff. Graham's machine is a dragster, built for standing-start quarters which is why it has that huge rear wheel and runs low gearing.

You only need to go fast enough to win - and at these National Records events that is 1% faster than the existing record to set a new one.

There were all types and sizes of machine at the records meeting, ridden by people from all over the country, people from different walks of life but all with a common interest. It was enhanced by Graham bringing such an unusual machine along and having a go. 

As well as this three-wheeled dragster there was everything from scooters topping 100mph to Hayabusa Turbos at nearly 250mph and everything in between. We even had the UK's fastest female rider going 224mph in the standing mile. Such a pity that it all escaped MCN's notice.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
records1990

May 12

records1990 says:

Reading most of the comments on this subject, "The Syko", too many of you have lowered my opinion of most bikers, I always regarded bikers with more intelligent than other road users, too many of you open your mouths before you know what your talking about, it's obvious many of you know absolutely nothing about bikes on the road and racing individual machines like the Syko, from the frame up to almost everything you can see was made in house by the man ridding it, it's not a motorcycle engine it's an old Rover based block, which was machined and built by Graham Sykes, the only parts not made by him were the rubber tyres, rubber belts, he even made his own brake discs and calipers and clutch from solid, it took so long because it was made between work in his own shed, the reason I know is because I am his crew man at his record attempts, and I reckon I know about as much about the bike as himself, and if any of you brainless ones who make the sad comments that you could do better than his, then my answer to you is dont talk about it, come to the track and let's see what you can do, if your good enough you might just make a name for yourself, but then we'll see, I've seen people doing record runs and they were crapping themselves on the start line, I've been watching riders like this for well over 20 years,I've ridden with the guy's who have taken records for many years and they are still doing it even myself, in 1990 I myself took a world land speed record at Elvington so I think I'm qualified to make judgment on the subject, so come on guys let's see what you can do instead of making stupid comments on a subject you know nothing about.

Reply to this Topic
records1990

May 12

records1990 says:

The Syko

Thanks to Bob 1 for your comment and Jollyboy for yours too, it was obvious that you were there that weekend and have the knowledge to back up my comment, anyone can talk the talk, but they cant walk the walk, there OK giving it to there mates in the pub, but put them on a track and it's a different ball game.

Just for record we had the gearing to go over 200mph, but as you said you only have to beat a record by a min of 1% to take the record and that's just what we did, Graham did a fantastic job and he and all the 48 others who took records that weekend deserve more respect than to be insulted by people who know nothing about record breaking.

Reply to this Topic
ChimneyPortions

Oct 11

Blue Flame

Wasn't "Blue Flame" driven by Gary Gabelich and which held the land speed record at over 620mph a three wheeler.

Like others have said I've been faster on the road on a standard bike.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

How clever.....

....of you to point out that a hydrogen peroxide rocket-propelled machine went faster on the 46 square-mile salt pan at Bonneville. Of course you're absolutely right.

If you've been faster on the road than Syko's record I wouldn't go admitting it on a public forum.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Furthermore I think the fastest record set by anything at Elvington was about 300mph (give or take 1mph) in the Vampire - you'll know that car it's the one that Richard Hammond flipped. The turbo jet in that was rated at about 5000 pounds thrust IIRC. That engine was capable of propelling aircraft at about 730mph. So that should tell you the difference between practical top speeds and what is possible on the runway at Elvington. If you think you can do better there will be several events at Elvington when you can give it a go this year. Give it a try or stop making stupid comments. I've seen plenty of people making with their mouths before visiting Elvington and coming away one hell of a lot quieter after the event. Getting your top speed under controlled conditions in little over a mile to strict rules is not like having the whole of the M62 to aim at.

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

The problem

With this article is I suspect people don't really understand it, or just what the big fuss is all about.

The speed may be comparable to a modern japanese bike but I suspect that is not the point of the article or the record.

Perhaps if there was a little bit of background surrounding the vehicle and the class in which it took part the comments would have been a bit more favourable.

I suspect it was a big thing for the record to have been broken, first off it was a record suggesting that it must have been not just a case of going really fast using anything.

Then there is the fact that has been pointed out that it was hand built and designed from the ground up.

I think it must have been an amazing venture and adventure but sadly one that perhaps could have been explained a bit more clearly as to why it was such an achievement.

Well done to him and his team, and well done to MCN for acknowledging something out of the ordinary.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices