Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

LearnerRider

May 12

LearnerRider says:

What 125

Hello

I'm new to the Forum and new to Biking too!

I ride a 50cc Scooter at the moment but i'm defiantly wanting to get a geared 125 next year when I turn 17. But the question is what 125?

I'm not bothered about sporting looks, I just want something that will get me from A-B but most importantly get me through my test. I'm discounting a used bike mainly because I don't want to buy someone else's trouble!

So any ideas on an ideal 125?

Thanks

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (25 May 2012 19:52)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hannahb

May 12

Hannahb says:

what 125

depends if you want gears or a twist and go, I have a Honda PCX 125 and she is a dream, don't  think I would change her even once I pass my test. Very economical and an easy ride...check it out :smile

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

CG or YBR

both good bikes 

Reply to this Topic
LearnerRider

May 12

LearnerRider says:

Thanks for reply

I defiantly want a geared bike

Reply to this Topic
LearnerRider

May 12

LearnerRider says:

YBR?

What sort of speed would your see out of a YBR?

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

top speed

65-70mph

get decent tyres for the ybr

Reply to this Topic
chriscg

Jan 10

chriscg says:

my best bets

are,hondacg,yamaha ybr or cbf125.

They are all capable of getting you though your test.

Reply to this Topic
LearnerRider

May 12

LearnerRider says:

Test

Thanks for your replays.

Talking of the Test. I have heard roumers about proposed changes to it. Does anyone know about them?

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Yeh

They're going to ruin motorcycling.

Quote:

The New Staged Access Routes to Motorcycle Licence's

A1 (Standard) 
This can be taken on a machine between 115 and 125cc. If you are aged between 17 and 19 this will be your only option.
Upon passing the A1 you will get a full licence to ride on motorways and take pillion passengers, but you will never be able to ride anything bigger than a 125cc machine that produces a maximum of 11 Kwh (14.6 Bhp) until you pass the next test (A2) when you reach a minimum age of 19 or two years after passing your A1 test.

A2 (Middleweight)
The test and training must be taken on a machine of a minimum of 395cc that produces a maximum of 35 Kwh (46.6 Bhp). This can only be taken when you are at least 19 years old or two years after passing your A1.
Upon passing you can ride any size of motorbike but the power is capped at 35 Kwh (46.6 Bhp) this will never increase!. The other "restriction" on this category, is the machine cannot be restricted to 35 Kwh if it produces more than 70 Kwh or 93.5 Bhp in standard trim.

A (D.A.S)
The Direct Access Scheme will still be available but the minimum age will rise from 21 to 24. The bike engine size of at least 595cc and must produce at least 40 Kwh (54 Bhp). You must be at least 24 years old or can be taken two years after passing your A2. 
It is possible to obtain your A Licence at 21, ONLY IF you have already passed your A2 licence at 19.

Automatic Scooters and Motorcycles
If you take your training and test on an automatic machine, all of the categories of licence and size of bike are still relevant.

Comes into force on 19th of Jan 2013.

My advice is that if you want to get into motorcycling get a full licence done now before this crap comes in.

EDIT:

Oh and I'd go for the Honda CBF 125. If you're quote tall though you might be better with a taller 125 like a road biased trials or a supermoto style, e.g. the Suzuki DR125SM. I had the 400cc version of this and it was stunning. Part of me regrets ever trading up.

If you want ubercool then KTM do a Duke 125. It is however very expensive compared to the above.

If you want the best there is and plan on staying on a 125cc then the Honda XL125V Varadero but it's very expensive any only worth buying new if you're tall and don't plan on getting rid - this is essentially a big bike that people go touring on, it just happens to have a 125 engine.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

true

test change drastically in January

http://www.artmotorcycletraining.co.uk/new-motorcycle-test-2013.htm

many other training websites will give you the info.

if you can get it done do so, cos it's going to be a lot harder then

Reply to this Topic
LearnerRider

May 12

LearnerRider says:

Thanks

I agree with you that there going to ruin motorcycle ing!

But it looks like I'm going to have to go with the new stuff as in not 17 until January and I'm not up for taking my test in the ice and cold.

It's just so annoying that someone can pass there car test and go out and buy a 2l sports car at 17 (if they had the money to insure it) but we as motorcylists get all of this.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices