Skip to content

General from 125: to 250 or 500? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > from 125: to 250 or 500?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DOLOMITE73

May 12

DOLOMITE73 says:

from 125: to 250 or 500?

Hello all my first post so go easy eh. I'm a total noob to biking - literally first ride about 2 months ago to do my CBT and straight away bought a Yamaha YBR125. 

Always fancied it but never had the need till house move forced it as I now have a 50 mile round trip commute mostly on dual carriagway (A12 and A14) and last bit through town traffic. Really enjoying it and confidence is building but I'm already looking ahead to a bigger bike. The Yamaha is happy at 55-60 (indicated) but is all out of puff and starts to groan at the slightest sign of an incline. But what I hate most is the inability to pass safely. I'm right near Felixstowe and the roads are crammed with lorries sat at about the same speed as me and I struggle to pass safely and quickly.

So in a few months or so I want to get my full license and look to a bigger bike. I've been reading up and the YBR250 gets good write ups, but doesn't seem that much pokier, so given my commute (will need to do it pretty much all weather too unfortunately) do you think I should skip the 250 and go straight to something like the Honda CBF500?

Other info, I'm 39, been driving 20 years, have no interest in being a 2-wheleled mentalist, have little interest in tinkering with the bike more than I have to, mpg not so much of an issue as it's still saving heaps over having a 2nd car so I'm happy with that and with 2 little monsters at home have no time for pleasure riding.

Advice please!

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 May 2012 15:29)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

250 or 500

Personal choice but I'd say with two little monsters at home a 1000CC would be a better choice to get you far away from them as quick as possible :biggrin:

That said a bigger bike is better in the wind/slipstream & the ability to cruise at 70/75 & still have power to spare is a good thing if your commute takes you on DC or MW.

min I'd suggest is a 400 but many bigger bikes would need to be restricted for 2 years unless you go down the DAS system.

Things change in 2013 so if doing you test on a 125 then do it this year.

I'm a lot older & new to biking, have got through my 'need for speed' but still looking at a CBF500 or 600 when I pass, but then I ride for pleasure as well as commuting.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

power

Are you talking 50m x 5 days a week 1,000m a month?

Have you considered a shaft drive so you have no chain issues?

Also what about wind protection (fairing/half/full) for the cold months.

I would go for the 500cc but i`ve just sold (last year) my cbf1000 and wasn`t impressed with the quality.

Reply to this Topic
DOLOMITE73

May 12

DOLOMITE73 says:

250 or 500

I'd not considered the shaft drive/chain issue - is it really that much of a factor? I probably will have to use the bike at least 3 days a week (have work car the others) so between 600-1000 miles/month. Some degree of fairing a necessity for sure.

As for the new Test system, I need to look into that - all seems a bit confusing!

Reply to this Topic
gaz1982

Aug 10

gaz1982 says:

going direct access

You have got your cbt done so next step is your theory test. Once you have passed that you can tackle module 1. pass module 1 and you can take module 2. Once that is passed you will be able to ride anything you like. You don,t have to worry about age restrictions your old enough. Hope this helps. If I have missed anything somebody will give you more accurate info. Hope this helps.

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

personally think the 500 is better bet cb500 or er500 with wind sheild 

but if your going to do a restricted license then would stick to a 250 rather than getting a bigger bike  restricted if thats the case try hyosung gt250 or if you want bit more sporty ninja 250 

But best advice is go and sit on them and try a wee test ride to make sure your comfortable with it and it has the poke you want 

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Restrictions

Well I'm the opposite to Bikerbit.

I would go for the bike I want to keep, still looking at various bikes but the CBF500 & 600 are front runners at the moment.

I will get a restrictor kit fitted then remove it after the 2 years are up. I think that is better than having to buy another bike after 2 years to get to the 500-600 one I'm after.

Personal choice, it's what suits you so read all the comments & work out what is best for YOU.

Reply to this Topic
chriscg

Jan 10

chriscg says:

Hi dolomite73

I had a cbf 500 for several years but with the milage youd be doing id go for something else.

Dont be afraid to go for the bigger engine,makes riding alot easier.

As said above , go for something with good wind protection and maybe a smooth 4 cylinder engine. cbf 600?

Reply to this Topic
DOLOMITE73

May 12

DOLOMITE73 says:

Bigger than a 500?

Bigger than a 500? Really? OK now I'm scared! I'd never planned on riding anything that big. Being new to biking I have noticed that bike mileages are so low compared to cars of a similar age. Is a 50 mile commue not that common? 

Reply to this Topic
badcompanybiker

Mar 12

now way 1000cc

no way my friend , go for a 500 any day , a 1000cc in the hands of a new rider is a almost certain hospital life support trip , a 500 is perfect mate , enough power to blast away others but light enough to forgive for over estimated that corner , getting a 1000 does not make others look at you differently , if you can ride a 500 like a pro then you look like a pro see what i mean ? I hope you seriously take this in because from my 125 to a 500 i was astonished by the amount of power i had once I hit the powerband , and thats on a GS500 from 1999 just trust me , as for 250's you will find they are a box of bits put together , made for the japanese market due to the lightweight engines , and you wont get much more power than a 125 , my choice ... 500 anyday ! hope this helps !! but yea a cbf 600 is probably a good idea , i cant argue with that :)

Reply to this Topic
Valko

May 12

Valko says:

do a test ride first

In fact do several test drives and get the one you feel most comfortable.

however 250 is not a good option, you need power in all revs, so any 500 or 600 Honda or Yamaha will do the job nicely, I am in your shoes born again biker, my last bike was MZ 250 which basically is more or less your new YBR125 powerwise.

I am looking to get any of these, ordered by agility, stability and brakes factor:

1. KTM 690 Duke 2012 (it has German Bosch ABS as standard)

2. Kawasaki ER-6 ABS

3. Honda CBF 500 or 600 ABS

4. Triupmh Street Triple 675 ABS

I see your emphasis is on safety, so get ABS brakes bike and if it is used buy the best tyres you can afford.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices