You are in... Forums > General > General > 1st big bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

sparrey1992

May 12

sparrey1992 says:

1st big bike

hello there im just about to do my big test and because im 19 years old i can have a 600 or what ever but 33bhp only but im in love with a vfr 400 love the bikes just wanted to get some info because its only a small engine would the restrictor be rubbish in it and i wanted to no about the restrictor aswell my mate has a cbr 600 and his is restricted but it will still rev all the way round would my vfr do the same :smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 May 2012 20:52)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

VFR 400

buy carefully - they're getting on a bit now, and many have been hammered (and / or binned) on tracks etc. Insurance may be high (most are imports and some parts could be tricky to get).

Twins tend to be easier to restrict than fours - a twin will keep most of its performance and lose some of the top-end, where a four can be "strangled" by restriction.

How much you planning to spend on the bike?

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

agree withAdie...

something like an SV650 seems very popular for restricting, and a solid, reliable good looking machine i reckon..

Reply to this Topic
chriscg

Jan 10

chriscg says:

Dont think

youl do better than sv650.

I restricted a parellel twin and it worked very well. My misses restricted a 4 cyclinder,hornet,and its ok but not so good.

If your mates cbr600 hits the red line i dont believe it is restricted.

Reply to this Topic
Tabasco

May 09

Tabasco says:

I

have a vfr400 and never struggle to find parts. Brand new collector box (bloke binned his bike) for £33 ebay, saw another for £65 and this was just dusty, never been on a bike.

I wouldn't like to restrict one though. Not sure if it would do it a lot of good.

What I do agree with is the fact these are getting on now, I brought mine for less than £400 and it took me £965 to get her on the road (yes I could have brought a working one for but where is the fun in that plus mine has stood for 8 years and only has 17k miles on it converted from km). Money is not the issue as I'm going to keep her for good, it's just time. It took me 10 weeks for a full rebuild replacing every comsummable part apart from the clutch. I did not struggle to find anything at all. Ebay, ebc and david Silvers sorted me out no worries

Yes it's an import too but insurance for me is less than £250 a year. I like the rarity of my bike knowing I can ride all month without seeing another one. I like that.

You can't beat the v4 sound. Oh and we have also re designed the collector so its detachable from the bike without removing the engine. :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
badcompanybiker

Mar 12

i agree with these replies

I have to just passed my test , you just make sure you remember that the ability to pass a test proves nothing. a bigger bike proves nothing. more experienced bikers are bound to be more impressed with a newbie that rides with grace and safety who is alive , than a knucklehead that rides round like a bat out of hell creating hazards and aggravating people and who is now in hospital for one mistake. Am i right guys ? :)

Reply to this Topic
oldenuff

Jan 10

oldenuff says:

First big bike

Think about the |Honda CB500 which is easy to maintain and ride and is supported by a very lively rider group. They are now good value for money £1000-1200 for one in really good condition with easy spares availability. All the reports from restricted riders say that they only lose a bit of top end but remain very lively. 

Reply to this Topic
NORTHERNHELLBOY

Feb 10

all right so far

the sv65o is a belter.

but if you're stuck on a 400...have a look at zxr400. when it came out, it was far more advanced for it's year, with a standard slipper clutch, and improved suspension..etc.

You'll find a good late model easily affordable, with plenty of spares. But with any older bikes, you need to be sure of it's history. But if you find a good one, even if it needs a little tlc, you will fall in love, and find it hard to part with it.  and look after it well, it will only go up in value.  good luck

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices