Skip to content

Discuss This Moving up from an SV650 General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Moving up from an SV650

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Simon  says:

Moving up from an SV650

I returned to biking after a 20 year absence six months ago, I bought a Suzuki SV650 but now I'm thinkng of moving to something a little bigger. Would a Yamaha YZF750R be a good move? What should be my next stepping stone?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 May 2012 10:37)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Moving up

The bike you select next will depend on what you use it for and what you want from it - not to mention your budget!

Reply to this Topic
maculopathy

Mar 10

maculopathy says:

SV1000 cheap fast reliable & natural stepping stone from the 650

Reply to this Topic
5LeafClover

Jan 11

5LeafClover says:

Classic Value

Hullo from a fellow SV650 rider! Looking at the YZF750s advertised here, I'd say you'd have to really love that bike for it to be worthwhile. I reckon there are better value bikes to be had. So, what style of bike do you like? What engine configuration would you prefer? Fancy a change from the world of twins? By all means read the reviews, but my advice is don't buy anything without riding it first. As to suggestions for test rides, have you considered Suzuki's GSR750? Desirable performance, aggressive street styling and a comfortable real world riding position. Better still, Suzuki seem to be offer big discounts and cheap financing pretty much all the time.

Reply to this Topic
manxybanksy

Feb 06

manxybanksy says:

Gixxer!

Budget is obviously a factor but I'd say GSXR750 (K4 or newer) for a sports bike and Street Triple if you're looking for a naked. Most YZF750s will be old ladies by now so I'd personally go for something more modern.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

SV650

Going on the fact that you have had an SV650 since you started again , I assume you like the riding style but just want more grunt? The SV1000 has a bit more grunt but I'd suggest to stay small sized engined myself. Have a look at the bandits. They may be a bit heavier but they are a bit smaller sized but kick out a LOT more horses. Depends what you are looking for as has been said before.

Reply to this Topic
jovee

Feb 09

jovee says:

ONE U WANT

Man, just buy the one you want if you can afford it. You could spend ages looking for the next step up but i tell you, how long before you are bored with the 750? and then the 1000?. If your anything like me you probably like the bigger bikes and lets face it, the bigger the engine the better. Take the ZZR1400, tame under 4000 revs and with all the electronics, safe too. After 4000 revs, what a machine.. wow its great. SV1000 great bike too, on a budget but can be a bit unforgiving at the lights if that clutch comes out a bit quick but enjoyable too. If you can afford it go for the latest Kawa. Best of everything in one complete package, power modes, traction control, abs, etc. Test ride em all and get the one you enjoy!! Think too many guys buy what they think they should buy without actually trying them out?? I've rode virtually every type of bike in my time and it's nice to know the power is there when you need it so i tried last time the hyabussa, honda vfr, ducati multistrada, and the kawa ZZR1400 and in the end got the ZZR because the price was great, got a good deal and it had all the tools for the money. Comfy too and handles better than you think for a big bike. Will keep for a long time, its that good. Hope this helps!.

Reply to this Topic
zemmy

May 12

zemmy says:

don't be greedy,the sv is perfect.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Jovee

Has some good points. Test ride as many bikes as you can to get the one that feels right for you. I'd been riding cruisers for years but wanted a change so tried the SV650, Kawasaki ER6n, Honda NC700 and Triumph Street Triple. The Suzuki and Honda were ok but I loved the Triumph but it was a tad out my budget so went for the ER6 which to me felt like the closest bike to the Triple. Personally I prefer smaller engines because they tend to be more frugal yet have more than enough power for UK roads and are more forgiving when you make a mistake. I still love my cruisers but now I've experienced the performance that a middleweight naked can offer my love affair is now relegated to easy Sunday cruises rather than using it as my main bike. Everyone is different, you might get on well with a ZZR1400 (I rode my mates brand spanker recently and it blew me away but I still didn't feel quite ready for it yet). Everyone and their dog has a different opinion of what bike you should have but you're the one that's got to live with it so it makes sense you try out as many different styles and models as possible before you settle on one... ...but unless you want to be on first name terms with the RAC man or handy with a spanner I'd think twice about a knackered old YZF750R as they've more than likely had a hard life, bit uncomfortable too.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices