Skip to content

Discuss This Norton announces Santander TT partnership TT & road races

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > TT & road races > Norton announces Santander TT partnership

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Norton announces Santander TT partnership

Norton Motorcycles has joined forces with Santander to sponsor Norton for this year's senior TT. The Norton SG1 (pictured) will race in the senior TT on June 8, in Santander livery. The SG1, which uses a V4 Aprilia engine and Spondon frame, will be ridden by Ian Mackman, who has had 24 races at the Isle of Man, with a best finishing...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 May 2012 15:09)

Post a message in TT & road races

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Eddy998

Oct 06

Eddy998 says:

Norton

Why don't they race one of their own bikes? It wouldn't win, for sure, but at least it would have some more credibility than racing an Aprilia and would be a huge PR and marketing success for the Norton brand, Even if it came in last, which hopefully it wouldn't, it would be cheered all the way round!! Ciao

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

eddy998

Thats crazy. Racing a Commando 961 on the TT course would amount to placing a stationery object in the way of the other riders. The rotary is finished, as it had reached the end of it's original BSA designed development.

Reply to this Topic
djjonnibgood

Sep 07

djjonnibgood says:

Norton

My money is on a CRT entry and the TT been a shakedown for a possible Motogp return next year

Reply to this Topic
Eddy998

Oct 06

Eddy998 says:

boybilly1967

Well, it's about as crazy as racing an Aprilia and calling it a Norton! I don't think either that it would be, as you put it, " a stationery object" and anyway if it was that slow it would be last of the starting grid and wouldn't be in the way of anyone. Although, to be fair, as you know, it's not always the fastest bike that wins at the TT or in racing, but more who's prepared to keep the throttle open most, and I'm sure that it wouldn't be last! Ciao

Reply to this Topic
DARMHA900SS

Jul 09

DARMHA900SS says:

I don't get it either!

From the day Stuart Garner reserected this great marque he was talking of developing racing bikes.

They have done a great job with the road bike but it was practically ready when they bought out the American Norton anyway.

So now they are making a big publicity push about racing a SPONDON framed APRILIA engined bike at the TT?

The only thing Norton on it will be the logo on the tank and the fact that they put it together!

I think they would have got far more credibility developing their own bike and racing next year!

I wish them luck but if they don't do well, it will be the NORTON name on the tank that will be remembered and if they win, it will be because of the SPONDON frame and APRILIA engine.

Either way, I see it as a very expensive, NO WIN episode for the company. I bet they are glad they have managed to persuade SANTANDER to foot some of the costs!

Reply to this Topic
Romulinx2

May 12

Romulinx2 says:

A Norton/Aprilia? Perhaps its like a Triton...lol. Its not even April now, I thought it was a joke!

Reply to this Topic
luckyskua

Jan 11

luckyskua says:

Its not cricket

I have to say when I saw the headline about Norton looking at entering Motogp with a V4 I thought f*** me thats quick for an engine design but if its an Aprilia unit that explains it. Can't be positive about what anounts to a management exercise here. TT organisers should step on this, Norton doesn't mean Spondon, Aprilia & Ohlins etc. Its not far off dishonest.

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

Santander?

I'm less worried about the Aprillia association than Santander.

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Norton and Spondon

I sometimes think some people are so intollerant they'd rather see small volume manufacturers go down the pan and be happy for everyone to buy products made in Japan / China etc.

This is all about building brand recognition, and I think it's OK really. The guy who owns Norton (stuart Garner) owns Spondon as well doesn't he? or something like that. So is it really a problem for Spondon to make frames for them? Either way, it's no worse than Norton in the 60s using parts from other manufacturers. Another example - ford fiesta diesels and the new Mini's both use Peugeot engines - doesn't make them a Puegeot though!

This guy (Stuart) has got off his ar$e and put time, effort and money into building up viable companies - providing people with jobs and keeping the Spondon name going. the Spondon and Norton brands represent what the UK is good at - providing quality products etc. OK so he won't sell millions of Nortons and they won't become ubiquitous like the CBR600, but there's a place for them in the marketplace.

I'll be happy to see the Aprillia engined Norton doing well at the TT, knowing it's got a frame welded up in Derby, not in China! And I can't blame him for using the Aprillia engine - the development costs to design a competitive engine must be astronomical so it makes business sense to buy that part in. And using Ohlins suspension and Brembo brakes or whatever? Well haven't Hondas got Ohlins or Showa suspension and Brembo brakes? they're still Hondas though!

Cheers,

Baz

Reply to this Topic
adrenalin

Jun 09

adrenalin says:

Darmah900SS - If you think that the 'Norton' Stuart Garner bought from the US was 'almost ready' you needs to do a bit more homework!  The Kenny Dreer Norton Commando basically needed to be completely redesigned and remanufactured to make it a buildable/saleable prospect and I don't think even Stuart Garner would have bought it if he had realised how much work it still needed.

As for the Aprilia engine in the race bike, why not?  Plenty of smaller manufacturers such as Bimota have been using other people nmotors for years, but are no less a Bimota for having a Yamaha or Suzuki engine.  The Norton MotoGP engine was NOT going to be the Aprilia unit but a new motor designed with Inmotec. The Aprilia engined bike has been desigend and built specifically for the TT, and not for MotoGP which was a completely separate project which has now been shelved.

I hope they do well and at least finish this years TT. It would be a bit much to expect mircales but they ave a long term stategy and this is just the beginning.  Good luck to them :)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices