Skip to content

Discuss This Norton announces Santander TT partnership TT & road races

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > TT & road races > Norton announces Santander TT partnership

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Norton announces Santander TT partnership

Norton Motorcycles has joined forces with Santander to sponsor Norton for this year's senior TT. The Norton SG1 (pictured) will race in the senior TT on June 8, in Santander livery. The SG1, which uses a V4 Aprilia engine and Spondon frame, will be ridden by Ian Mackman, who has had 24 races at the Isle of Man, with a best finishing...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 May 2012 15:09)

Post a message in TT & road races

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
coventryeagle

Apr 10

So... that means Hislop's Bike was not a Norton!

I did a quick Google and it gives an interesting theory:

If you look at Norton's last TT win, it was with a bike with an outsourced frame (Harris, although Spondon did make frames for some of the early prototypes) and with an engine from another Manufacturer - Triumph/BSA!

http://www.nortonmotors.co.uk/Prototypes%201.htm

According to some of the nay-sayers, and using the same pessemistic claptrap, that would not have been a Norton, instead, a "Harris-Triumph!" 

Strikes me as xenophobia about the engine and ignorance about the frame in this year's bike. Why else all the fuss?

Wish the Norton guys all the best. Hoping for a decent finish!

Reply to this Topic
ivanhoe

Mar 04

ivanhoe says:

Norton Santander

What a team.  Norton ripping off buyers and Santander  voted the worst bank by customers.

With everyone withdrawing cash from spanish banks this could be a short marriage.

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

what is it with Spanish banks that are skint, and yet they still find money for sponsorship like this?  and the Bankia-Aspar tie-up as well?

i think we'd have cut Norton a bit more slack had they come out at the beginning and said they were going to make a CRT bike with an Aprillia engine, rather than letting everyone think that, by accident or design, that it would be a 100% British bike.

having said that, i wish them well.

Reply to this Topic
Black955tiger

Jul 08

Shouldn't the headline read ; "Norton sponsored by EU bailout money"?

Reply to this Topic
Donteatpeople

Aug 09

Just The Start

Norton is a small British manufacturer that wants to go racing, we should all be cheering them on not knocking them down! In my opinion it would seem foolish for Norton could spend a few years and a few million £ on a completely in house race bike at a time when they're busy enough with the up-scaling of the road bike production. I think their approach of outsourcing completely sensible. They can get a bike racing far faster with a far smaller investment. They'll still gain the experience of racing, getting a team together, developing a bike, gathering data, experimenting with setup ect. This will put them in a much stronger position to do well if/when they do develop a completely in house bike. It will be much easier to be competitive with a completely new bike if it's being run by a well established and experienced team. I also think people are being very harsh on the bike not being a Norton. There is far more to developing a bike than just bolting pieces together. If Norton spec the bike, commission the frame from another company owned by the same man, design the parts to string it all together, build the bike, develop the bike and race the bike, I'd say they have every right to put their name on the tank. Instead of looking at this as a disappointing finished product, try looking at it as a very exciting starting point!

Reply to this Topic
RogerRSV

Jul 09

RogerRSV says:

Just hope..........

Norton will answer the phone when you call, don't put you on hold and then read patronising one liners from a printed script ending your hour long call of misery with 'have a nice day'..........

Reply to this Topic
nigel100

Jan 05

nigel100 says:

what is the point?

when all is said and done this is just a sponsored advertising exercise which all the race fans and potential bike buyers will see through, so it is a pointless exercise. There are far better and cheaper methods of keeping your product in the eyes of the public, take a leaf out of ryanair's book.

Would it not be better to use this money on a real norton engined bike in some class of racing? if in the event they cannot produce a competitive race engine for the moment, there is no disgrace in that, but far better to keep ones eyes and funds on the realities of life, trying to produce a better road bike or series of road bikes, build up your reserves while in the background you are developing an engine that is worthy of the norton race heritage.

Reply to this Topic
armcharm91

Dec 05

armcharm91 says:

Aprilia engine ! Sponson frame ! So it's not a norton simple ! U can put a cat in an oven but it won't make it a biscuit

Reply to this Topic
panmanPete

Aug 10

panmanPete says:

Rooney rides the TT!!!!

Is it just me? But that rider looks just like Wayne Rooney!! Have a closer look....go on.....click on the photo and you will see just what I mean.

Reply to this Topic
GLUEPOT

May 12

GLUEPOT says:

Norton or not ?

Can I remind doubters on this chat room & the TT chatroom that the very first Norton made by James Lansdown Norton (known as Pa norton)did in fact have a Peugeot engine, would you say that wasn"t a genuine Norton? And as for having a spondon frame, who owns spondon ? Ans : Norton does I think this makes the current TT bike a genuine Norton.This TT endeavour is an info gathering exersise and I dont expect them to win but I can hope. Best of luck Norton !

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices