Skip to content

Discuss This 1000cc sports bike owners - your opinions, please New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > 1000cc sports bike owners - your opinions, please

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

1000cc sports bike owners - your opinions, please

The 1000cc sports bike class has now split in two – there are now the ‘extreme’ 1000s and the more ‘real world’ 1000s. Bikes like the Panigale, RSV4, S1000RR, ZX-10R and F4 RR now fall into the extreme class, with their big horsepower figures and electronic rider aids. The Fireblade, R1 and GSX-R1000 are now perceived as more real world. As part...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 May 2012 15:42)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Skinhead1967

May 12

Skinhead1967 says:

Be nice if MCN would do a review of the 2012 Fireblade as I'm in the market for a 1000cc bike.

I would have chosen a Ducati Panigale, except the insurance for me was nearly a grand... No thanks.

Reply to this Topic
Fomancu

Jul 08

Fomancu says:

"Sports Bike"

can I have a definition of a "sports-bike"? I have a new bike---it must be a "sports bike" because it has an "R" in its name--but it doesnt seem to feature here??

Reply to this Topic
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

1000'cc sportsbikes.....

....It's got nothing to do with the power or claimed figures, it's really simple the bikes you have got as "not real world" are way over priced and can do exactly the same as a Blade or R1 or Gixer 1000, On the road you can't use all of the power on the Balde or R1 so why bother buying something (which is really expensive) when you can have the same experience on something a bit cheaper.

Lets be honest here are you really telling me that a blade which produces 178BHP is really any different to a BMW1000RR which produces 190 BHP ok the BMW is faster, but not by that much.

Reply to this Topic
Georg3

Mar 08

Georg3 says:

I never realised the R1, GSXR-1000 and Blade had become the second best crowd of 1000cc bikes. I'll keep blatting along on my old Thunderace either way, so I guess I'm hideously out of the loop no matter how you look at it.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Well I looked at buying a....

Aprilia RSV4 1000 ....but at £15000 I decided to buy a 5000 mile RSV1000r millie Absolutely as new, mint, unmolested, never ever seen rain... for £4000 including Acropovic carbon pipes. Now I get to ride 6 bikes as and when I choose including a 2 year old Busa and a nice NC30 not to mention the X7 or the CBR600f plus one other .....all for the price of the Aprilia RSV4 1000r......Maybe I will wait a couple of years and Buy a mint , low miles version as well.

Reply to this Topic
andybow1

Oct 11

andybow1 says:

Too extreme

I love sports bikes and have a 3 year old blade which I brought for £7500 last year,I test rode all the new (extreme versions) But to be honest if your doing some touring to gp's etc they are all getting far to small, uncomfortable, etc My next bike which will be next year is not going to be a super sports bike because they are to impractical! Please Triumph do a 1050 sporty bike, doesn't have to compete with the aprillias, bmws etc there's definetly a good sized market for it!

Reply to this Topic
urbanfireblade

Sep 11

oh jeez, where will the idiocy end?

Are they serious? A gsxr1000 is not an extreme sportsbike??? Same goes for the Cbr1000 and r1. Could someone please tell me where you can use a 190bhp s1000rr on the roads nowadays? They wonder why people aren't interested in these 'extreme' bikes, for one the huge pricetag and two, what would you need 190bhp sportsbike for? Utter madness, bring back the Cbr900 Fireblade, good days when owners got attached to their bikes, bikes tank slapping, shaking their heads in anger when the rider pushed them hard. Awesome feeling after, you get none of that on these electronic gadget bikes. BMW S1000RR......no ta.

Reply to this Topic
redracer46

Oct 11

redracer46 says:

Its all relative

I agree with most posters here, you cant even fully use the power of the 'real world' superbikes !!!! But its not about what you can or cant use, going down that road only brings you to the undesired outcome of agreeing with the arguments of groups who say all bikes should be limited as a 600 is more than enough on the roads etc etc... I live in a very liberal country speed wise and can use far more of the power on my ZX10 than I could ever use in the UK. But power doesnt matter, an idiot on a 125cc can do as much damage as one on a litre bike. Power is what you make of it, treat it with respect and its doesnt matter how much you have, but its sure nicer to have power you dont need, than want power you dont have.... For most, me included the price is what keeps people away from the latest and greatest, at least until they go second hand. I appreciate that the technology is phenomenal etc etc, but when that bike costs figures that nudge what you could have 2 or even 3 second hand 'real world' sportsbikes that pack enough punch for the everyday man and are only a few years old, whats the motivation to buy new for the extra 20 BHP your not using anyway....???

Reply to this Topic
redracer46

Oct 11

redracer46 says:

Its all relative

I agree with most posters here, you cant even fully use the power of the 'real world' superbikes !!!! But its not about what you can or cant use, going down that road only brings you to the undesired outcome of agreeing with the arguments of groups who say all bikes should be limited as a 600 is more than enough on the roads etc etc... I live in a very liberal country speed wise and can use far more of the power on my ZX10 than I could ever use in the UK. But power doesnt matter, an idiot on a 125cc can do as much damage as one on a litre bike. Power is what you make of it, treat it with respect and its doesnt matter how much you have, but its sure nicer to have power you dont need, than want power you dont have.... For most, me included the price is what keeps people away from the latest and greatest, at least until they go second hand. I appreciate that the technology is phenomenal etc etc, but when that bike costs figures that nudge what you could have 2 or even 3 second hand 'real world' sportsbikes that pack enough punch for the everyday man and are only a few years old, whats the motivation to buy new for the extra 20 BHP your not using anyway....???

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

redracer

I agree with much of what you are saying and would like to add that my Busa allows me to "completely loose the plot" when ever I want to, which I could never do on my CBR600f allthough my RSV1000r Hooligan bike gets close.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices