Skip to content

Discuss This 1000cc sports bike owners - your opinions, please New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > 1000cc sports bike owners - your opinions, please

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

1000cc sports bike owners - your opinions, please

The 1000cc sports bike class has now split in two – there are now the ‘extreme’ 1000s and the more ‘real world’ 1000s. Bikes like the Panigale, RSV4, S1000RR, ZX-10R and F4 RR now fall into the extreme class, with their big horsepower figures and electronic rider aids. The Fireblade, R1 and GSX-R1000 are now perceived as more real world. As part...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 May 2012 15:42)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

1000cc extreme bikes

Lets not forget that in general UK bike riders are getting older with many not feeling they need to relive their youth and go banzai on the bikes (been there done that type thing and the riding positions are uncomfortable). The extreme bikes are design for race tracks with the compromises that entail. Riding on the road requires a different set of criteria and you need to jeopardise yourself and others to ride the extreme bikes in the manner they were designed for on public roads. Blitzing around everywhere at 150mph+ is difficult to justify nowadays so why not get a more 'fun' bike for use on the roads. You might even have the option of taking a pillion on the back of less extreme styled bikes. Surely some bike development should be about more than just lap times?

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Z1000SX

I'd put the Z1000SX in the list as one of the "real world" litre bikes.  Got one and really enjoy it.  Enough power to hit 165 mph with the luggage, good acceleration and handling, good sporty looks, blah, blah.  Could use a few more bikes like this.  Sprint GT pig could use some more "sport".

Gotta say, even the race reps listed here are "real world" too.  They only go as fast as you command it to.  Some soft bags or at least a tank bag will get you back and forth to work or overnight somewhere.

Reply to this Topic
chriswren

Jul 09

chriswren says:

Does the RC8R fall in to the 'real world' class??  not rider aids, only 175bhp and thats when you give it the full fat fuel, plenty of room for even large riders and priced about the same as an R1.

If thats the case I could manage to string 2 or 3 sentences together on why I bought it and most probably 2 or 3 pages on why I will keep it.

Reply to this Topic
Biter

May 12

Biter says:

Too much

It seems to me human evolution cannot hope to match the evolution of the super bike! Was the original Honda Fireblade slow? You remember, the urban tiger. Was that WSB looking ZX-7R slow? Today a Super Sport 600 would show a Fireblade the way home, and I suspect BMW's latest road legal racer could indeed have won the WSB title of that era. For me the manufactures have lost my interests in this class of machine. They have become a victim of there own race focus. Too fast, too small, too uncomfortable for uk roads. But my guess is most of these bikes are owned by low usage riders doing less than 1500 miles a year. One positive for me! I sold my GSXR-1000K9, the last in a long line of Sportsbikes, and brought a...... Harley Davidson Wide Glide. I have enjoyed this bike so much it has renewed my love of biking when I was seriously thinking of leaving the industry. I have done more miles on it then the last 3 bikes combined. I jump on it almost everyday without the need to put on my power ranger outfit. I think the more extreme these machines become the less practical they become. I am sure tourers and cruisers will find more popularity. But I am not an expert and probably wrong :)

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Same old story

Don't you love the way that full=on sports bikes start to become "real-world" or god forbid, sports tourers when the latest, greatest machines get ever more impractical? This has always been the case along with magazine journalists telling everyone that only experienced, hairy chested real men (women?!!) could get the best from this bike, and then 2 years later the same bike is an ideal starter for new riders.........hahahahahahahaha!

Reply to this Topic
Skinhead1967

May 12

Skinhead1967 says:

At the end of the day...

At the end of the day, the bike may have up to 190bhp on tap for your use & enjoyment, but ultimately there's only one thing in control & that is you. You are the one who turns the throttle, not it. You can ride your bike as gently as you like or as loony as you like, if you choose the latter then don't expect much sympathy if you're caught by Mr Plod in his unmarked car or bike & lose your license and get heavily fined. You're responsible for the control your speed, no one else. I've nearly been nicked by a copper and I got away with a stern ticking off for which I'm grateful for. I'm in a job where my driving license is 100% vital, now I'm a darn sight more careful, however I'd still like a 1000cc machine for the out & out experience and another notch on the "belt", if I don't like it then I can sell it, pay off any outstanding finance & choose differently. Always had a sports bike (CBR600F + 2 GSX-R 750's) but I'd like a change from the 750.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

I Hope that...

This will encourage the manufacturers to develop more usable bikes such as Busa's , Blackbirds, ZZr1400's ect because these are the best all rounders ever produced. I ride my Busa all year round , it does the lot... Speed, comfort and practicality. I don't care if it gets wet, rusty or high miles because I just love to ride... For sunny days I take the Aprilia RSV1000r and act like a Power ranger whilst popping the odd wheelie and trying to get my sliders scratched. The NC30 comes out for fun and the X7 for Nostalgia. But seriously chaps try a Busa before you trade in your race reps for the latest GS clone or worse still Harley.

Reply to this Topic
duffy65

Jan 08

duffy65 says:

I started riding in the seventys with the older lads,you know ,remember 11 plus,went on to ride on the roads A.P 50 FSIE..ETC.ER 185 IT 250 465...X7 ..Stayed with dirt bikes last 25 years.Ktm 640 xt6 xr 6 now,but I just scored a mint 1994 gsxr 1100 off a mate. I remember when he bought it.You know what I love it,respect whatever you ride out there.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Loony?

I ride my Honda Elite (Lead in the UK) 110 like a loon, and have yet to receive a traffic citation.  Of course, it only has 7 or so horsepower at the rear wheel. : )

My non-existent ideal bike would be a 400 pound sport-tourer with a relatively high revving, 450cc V-twin (say about 40 HP and 30 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheel).

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

piglet2010

Don't put sticky tyres on your Lead.. with 7bhp ...It might not move!

Try a VFR400 NC30 ...@400lbs @45bhp and a V engine. Its a hoot to ride and feels comfortable on long journeys plus they don't cost much. 

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices