Skip to content

Discuss This 1000cc sports bike owners - your opinions, please New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > 1000cc sports bike owners - your opinions, please

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

1000cc sports bike owners - your opinions, please

The 1000cc sports bike class has now split in two – there are now the ‘extreme’ 1000s and the more ‘real world’ 1000s. Bikes like the Panigale, RSV4, S1000RR, ZX-10R and F4 RR now fall into the extreme class, with their big horsepower figures and electronic rider aids. The Fireblade, R1 and GSX-R1000 are now perceived as more real world. As part...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 May 2012 15:42)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
v2kiwi

Mar 04

v2kiwi says:

I wish Honda

would see the light and build an SP3.  My SP2 is heavy ,slow and dos nt handle like a modern 190 Hp bike , but i can actually ride it , so it,s not to much problem dusting the show ponies on there lastest and greatest. Each time  I ride it ,it,s an ocassion, because it has real character and you have to wrestle it round to make it work. All the power in the world is no good if you can,t use it, I also have a pretty trick GB500, with a NX650 motor in it , and it too is real world fun , If you have never riden a big single on the road , give it a go you might get a suprise how much fun it is, the lightweight super twin class at the TT is a perfect example of what you can do on a very basic motorcycle ,  MCN did a test a while  back with a 1098. RSV1000, and an SP 2 at Donnington and they concluded the SP the easiest to ride and so they went fastest. The fact is can you really live with a race bike on the road and in the real world. Triumphs new Speed triple R is about as close as gets to a bike thats good for everything if ask me. Spend $2000 dollars on riding lessons if you want to actually ride ,better ,smoother,faster.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

I Had Two

In 2010 I bought an HRC Fireblade, the ABS model and it was a brilliant bike. A year later I swapped it for an Aprilia RSV4 Factory, the non APRC model. It had all the kit you could want like Brembo, Ohlins etc and with an Akrapovic can it looked great.

To be honest though I think the Fireblade was easier to ride quickly and it also felt safer. Added to which I had no worries about the Honda's reliability. My Aprilia never let me down but I read quite a few comments from other owners about reliability and it was always in the back of my mind.

The fact that neither bike had all the electronics of a Panigale possibly made me ride with more respect for their power, I certainly never had any "moments".

Anyway, last month I went back to Kawasaki ownership with a 2012 ZZR1400 and it ticks all the boxes. You can't ride any of these bikes to their full potential on public roads, I don't do track days, I belong to Straighliners and the ZZR is ideal for that.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
v2kiwi

Mar 04

v2kiwi says:

lets see

how many EXTREME 1000,s are in the TT and how long will they last. Can,t see a Ducati lasting 6 laps of that sort of abuse . The TT is still dominated by the big 4. Say,s it all really.

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

Real world..

..is just that, the real world. One can always strive for the flash of the class but when all boils down, you can't use much of the total capabilities of any liter+ bike on the street. A Blade, for example, provides more than enough oomph and then some plus it offers great reliability and dealers everywhere. If that isn't enough for you and your ego must be stroked then it's your money.

Reply to this Topic
Mr.Number

Nov 07

Mr.Number says:

V2kiwi, all bikes these days are put together using the same materials, i would be very surprised if a Panigale would show itself up against any of the jap 4's. If you think it would then I think your out of touch. I would also add, where is your evidence that a Panigale couldnt take 6 laps of the TT !

Reply to this Topic
occytherp

Jul 05

occytherp says:

love them all

Personally I would have a shed full of bikes to meet my entire desires. A BMW 1000 RR would top the list followed by Honda SP2, Triumph Trident T160, early carbed Blackbird and a KTM supermoto 990. But unfortunately I live in the real world and so ride a Kawasaki zzr1400 this bike meets most of my needs and is an ideal compromise, I love it.

I may not like some bikes, but totally understand why someone else does. Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice. I heard a Desmodici RR get fired up last month, not my cup of tea but god it sounded well!

Reply to this Topic
BANDIT2005

Mar 09

BANDIT2005 says:

SPORTS BIKES

Most of the people I see on sports bikes are totally useless riders.They just blast down the staights and wobble round corners.600cc is all you need today on the roads and buying anything bigger is a waste of money.Had one idiot pass me last week at 90mph on an B road, then he braked about 50 yards to early and crawled round the next corner with his knee stuck out and hanging off the bike.I nearly ran up his backside, and I was driving a 4+4.

Reply to this Topic
cat5cable

May 09

cat5cable says:

53 yrs old been riding since i was 17 and now on my 10th fireblade a 2011 repsol why ? the blade is just a great bike and easy to ride fast and safely and just done my 10th trackday.

the blade is truly superb.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Real world?

Real world?

Only if your world is the track.

These bikes are almost totally irrelevant for road use.

Reply to this Topic
jovee

Feb 09

jovee says:

WHICH ONE!!

Just buy a Kawasaki ZX10 then you've got the best of both worlds!! or the ZZR1400/ZX14 if your heavy like me!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices