Skip to content

Discuss This 1000cc sports bike owners - your opinions, please New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > 1000cc sports bike owners - your opinions, please

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

1000cc sports bike owners - your opinions, please

The 1000cc sports bike class has now split in two – there are now the ‘extreme’ 1000s and the more ‘real world’ 1000s. Bikes like the Panigale, RSV4, S1000RR, ZX-10R and F4 RR now fall into the extreme class, with their big horsepower figures and electronic rider aids. The Fireblade, R1 and GSX-R1000 are now perceived as more real world. As part...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 May 2012 15:42)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AbuLaith

May 12

AbuLaith says:

Forgotten

You guys forgot to mention the RC8R. I bought the RC8R, cause the finish of the bike was great and because it is a V-twin! It is also important to be able to fix your own bike. I live in the middle east where the dealers are more "show rooms" than dealers, which leaves you out if your bike develops glitches. You'll need a degree in Electrical engineering to fix a Panigale. Short of gearbox work, I can wrench on a RC8R. P.S. I'm 43 years old and 6 foot, I won't fit on anything else...lol.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

It's big money for new bikes whatever the performance of sports bike category they seem to fill. Like a few people have said, you can pick up some really decent bikes that are a few years old and  in mint condition for really reasonable money these days. £15k for the latest bit of two wheeled techno fest that none of us will probably exploit on the road or £4k for something a few years older and equally as much fun to ride.

The only thing I would seriously consider buying new is (yes, wait for it and yawn) a Suzuki SV1200.

Reply to this Topic
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

i had a cb5 954rr3 with an arrow steering damper and a race can, running diablo 3's, but if you ride it flat out clutchless gearchanging at IOM speeds on the road ,you can go at a fantastic speeds. Why did i sell it, well i was chasing a few 1000's including a few gsx'rr n other stuff, i got held up a bit and rode the bike flat out for maybe 15 to 20 mins, i caught back up, then i got off the bike and thought, well i held my breath through a few corners but i'm not buzzing, in fact if i did the same road again i think i could do that left hander at 155 and not 150, so how fast would you have ti ride the newer bikes on the road to get a kick. My feeling is to fast.         

Reply to this Topic
ChrisSYD

Nov 08

ChrisSYD says:

you just have to go too fast to get any enjoyment from them ..under 200kph is just boring

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Preference

I like to be able to pin the throttle and run the bike up through the gears without getting into “go to jail” speed territory. So even my 2006 CBR600F4i (which was $4,000 or about £2,650 with under 12K miles on the clock) is too much. If Kawasaki ever puts fuel-injection on the Ninja 250 (US versions are still carbureted) I might just trade down to one. Or maybe ride a 250cc motard instead.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Top Trumps bikes

Since you'd lose your license and/or use of your spine trying to find a difference at the limit between any of these bikes during a typical 20 minute test ride, I can only assume that they're being bought on the basis of brochure statistics by adenoidal accountants.

Reply to this Topic
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

tosh

What a load of old Tosh, Real world bikes and Extreme class,  So I ride my S1000RR and  its not real world .. All bikes from 50cc upwards are real world. thats why we love bikes, its as real as it gets, Jeeezzzz...

Reply to this Topic
Ddod

May 12

Ddod says:

safety value

Saying the additional performance will never be used by mere mortals - performance is handling and braking,  as well as acceleration.  Surely any of us could come across a sudden sticky situation where any extra handling or braking performance,  or acceleration might be welcome.  Therefore not completely useless?

Having said that,  agreed that additional performance not really worth double the cost.  

Reply to this Topic
Ddod

May 12

Ddod says:

safety value

Saying the additional performance will never be used by mere mortals - performance is handling and braking,  as well as acceleration.  Surely any of us could come across a sudden sticky situation where any extra handling or braking performance,  or acceleration might be welcome.  Therefore not completely useless?

Having said that,  agreed that additional performance not really worth double the cost.  

Reply to this Topic
mattiboy

Oct 05

mattiboy says:

The 'extreme' appears to be more a function of cost, looks and technology than out and out performance.  Reading a recent-ish test of the panigale/RSV4/RC8r the other day, the difference between the extreme panigale and RSV4 and the non extreme (positively agricultural) RC8R were pretty minor.  In fact from memory, the on-paper 'bragging rights' went in favour of the Kazakhstan Tractor Manufacturer - which I'm fiarly sure loses out on paper to most of the 'sensible?' in-line-4s.

I'm not having a go at RC8s by the way, i've got one and love it.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices