Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Have you done any post-test training? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Have you done any post-test training?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Have you done any post-test training?

We're interested in how many people have done some kind of post-test training. Help give us a steer by filling in the poll. Don't forget to add your comment below pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 May 2012 14:49)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

yep

did a refresher day with local school just after returning to bikes a few years back - worthwhile

Also did a bikesafe day a couple of years ago, great day, lots of fun and seems to have helped me focus a bit more

Reply to this Topic
beastmaster68

Jul 08

Of course!

I've done both the IAM advanced test and a Bikesafe course. I'm shocked to see that at the time of writing, nearly 50% of riders haven't done any post-test training. The preparation for the DSA test is sufficient to get you on the road legally but NOT sufficient to be a competent rider. I urge all bikers to get themselves along to any advanced riding programme. It'll make you a much better, smoother and above all a SAFER rider. So many bike crashes are single-vehicle where somebody's misjudged a corner and ended up in the hedge. Learning countersteering and reading the road ahead (following the vanishing point) could prevent most of these incidents. Don't become a statistic. For the price of a track-day you could get a day's tuition from an expert. It could save your life!

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

IAM

I believe I was one of the first motorcyclists to take the IAM test here in the West Country, back in 1978. The debrief after the test ride was invaluable and I met some good friends through the Devon Advanced Motorcyclist group. As well as post-test training I think it's worth asking who's picked up a Highway Code and read it through since tearing up their L-Plates, or even one of the excellent advanced riding manuals like Motorcycle Roadcraft.

Reply to this Topic
Fragpig

Oct 10

Fragpig says:

CBT

The only training I've had is my CBT, i then took my test on my own, not through a training school. The CBT training covered everything and was very good. A work colleague has done Bikesafe,IAM and Performance plus, and generally everything he has done was covered in my CBT. All the advanced rider tips etc that he was taught was covered when i did my CBT, and i'm not sure about some of the IAM's advise on road position when cornering anyway. I think a healthy fear of death and pain help you keep safe, so youth's are most at risk as they fear nothing.

Reply to this Topic
Fragpig

Oct 10

Fragpig says:

CBT...again

Reading through the comments and the advanced tips there is nothing there that wasn't covered in my CBT. Maybe the CBT trainers were just really good and conscientious, they certainly showed me everything to get through the test. I think being interested in biking helps, rather than it being just a form of transport, i read alot of magazines and MCN, and talk to alot of people about riding. Time, money and not really liking training full-stop whatever it is, puts me off so-called advanced courses.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

None..

Yet... I intend to do one of em. I'm sure many more people would take up advanced tests if they were a bit cheaper. You can save hundreds on your premiums in some cases too , which is massively advantageous to young riders.

Reply to this Topic
busaman195

Aug 09

busaman195 says:

might do some day if i get round to it

Reply to this Topic
gremlinbyname

Apr 12

money well spent!

I did my CBT about 6 years ago as a challenge to myself - i was scared off bikes at a young age and wanted to get over my fear. Needless to say, i was instantly hooked, wishing i had done it years before. I decided to buy myself a 125 and go for my test through direct access through the council-run course that I did my CBT with. The course was basically a few rides out with an instructor with a one-way radio. I managed to pass, but having been out with a variety of riders on ride-outs and rallies i came to the conclusion that although i could stay upright there was much more to learn in terms of skills and confidence. Since then i have joined IAM and worked one-to-one with a volunteer to work towards my test and have gained much of what i admire in other riders, but also a thirst for more, so once i pass with IAM im looking at RoSPA as a step up.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

No training just.......

31 years of avoiding hazards whilst going about my business.

Reply to this Topic
itdcmy

Jan 06

itdcmy says:

Where's the Poll?

I expect polls to ask a question with tick boxes or radio buttons - couldn't find any. What are you up to MCN heading this up as a poll?

Anyway to answer the "Poll" yes twice - RAC/ACU training a 13 week course, anda local one run by police a bit of a forerunner to bikesafe which was a 2 day course.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices