Skip to content

Products Poll: Would you wear an open face lid? Helmets

You are in... Forums > Products > Helmets > Poll: Would you wear an open face lid?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Would you wear an open face lid?

We're interested in your opinion about helmet safety. If the weather and the bike was right, would you contemplatewearing an open face lid? Don't forget to add your comment below. pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 May 2012 15:34)

Post a message in Helmets

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Open Face Lid

Sure, I would wear an open face lid.  Nice in the summer :smile 

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

In town yeah

Wear a shark flip lid, and often open it up in the summer but only in town at low speeds.

Too many flys in the teeth if open at speed, plus dread to think what face would look like if came off when trying hard - much prefer to trash a lid than my pretty face:smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
slparry

Aug 02

slparry says:

Have an open face one for using in the summer, love it to bits. Hurts in the rain mind :)

All the safety nazis who scream about protecting the face in an accident, sure it could happen but I tend to bimble more when I have the open face on and in 37 years of motorcycling I've never scuffed a lid in an accident let alone scraped the front of one..... and yes when a youth whizzing around on RD250's I had the "occasional" tumble but am still here ugly and larger than life as proof :)

Reply to this Topic
speedy231278

Jun 10

speedy231278 says:

You must be kidding!  Would anyone with any sense wear leather shorts or fingerless gloves? lol

Reply to this Topic
mimi2010

May 12

mimi2010 says:

ive allways had a full face, but i think its personal choice each to their own

Reply to this Topic
littlejohnb

May 12

littlejohnb says:

Faceless helmets

I would never use a faceless helmet. About 8 years ago I was knocked my bike on the M4, I was was doing about 60 > 70 mph when a car just changed lanes while I was beside him. he took me out I slid down the tarmac on my front. After going to hospital I saw the after effects of the crash on my helmet, the front left hand side was so scratched it had looked like it had been sand blasted. So if there was no chin guard on my helmet I do believe half of my chin would have been left on the M4 tarmac. I was lucky enough to get away with 3 broken ribs. I always wear leathers and gloves as it dose not matter how safe a driver you are, there is always some idiot who is not looking where they are going. I'm sure you have all heard the statement SORRY MATE I DID NOT SEE YOU.

Reply to this Topic
muddy686

Aug 11

muddy686 says:

I have worn open face helmets.  In summer when its occasionally warm and sunny, wearing an open face with (proper EU approved eye protection) shades makes riding much nicer. 

If you own a Bonnie or similar it complements the retro look of the bike perfectly, and I occasionally wear one on my TDM.  However if you ride a Gixxer you'll look odd, rain does indeed hurt and bees/gravel from the car in front hurt even more.

I've found though you're less likely to speed wearing an open lid and are more aware of your surroundings.

Each to their own on the safety front.

Reply to this Topic
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

I personally wouldn't because I am a hard rider. Flip front helmets aren't any better most open in a crash.

Reply to this Topic
Tomzo47

Jun 12

Tomzo47 says:

Id rather not have my face scraping along the tarmac at 40mph thanks.... I'll stick to my full face :)

Reply to this Topic
Jackspratt

Dec 04

Jackspratt says:

Flipfronts

Daveire: go and check the SHARP web-site. SHARP specifically test this function - and a lot of them are very reliable. I have just bought my new helmet based upon SHARP tests.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices