Skip to content

Discuss This Nicky Hayden eager to evaluate Ducati upgrades in Catalunya MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Nicky Hayden eager to evaluate Ducati upgrades in Catalunya

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Nicky Hayden eager to evaluate Ducati upgrades in Catalunya

Nicky Hayden says he can’t wait to see if new technical upgrades to his Ducati GP12 machine will reap immediate rewards when practice starts for the Catalunya Grand Prix tomorrow (Friday). The American tested a revised engine, aluminium swingarm and electronics in Mugello last week as Ducati continues to try and reduce the deficit to Honda and Yamaha in dry conditions. One...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 June 2012 10:01)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
nippiman

Jun 12

nippiman says:

Can somebody explain to me how a bike with such ''vicious power delivery '' goes so well in the rain :(

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Eager?

... too right he is... top Ducati in FP1 only 0.4 off Stoner's pace... keep it up!

Reply to this Topic
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

Ask Zogg, if he don't know, he'll make it up!

Nippiman, good question, been asked a few times before. Never been answered because even Florences biggest fans know it's just another embarrasing contradiction of the Big F'd Up Italian Wedding.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Nippi...

I think it's that all the bikes need maximum power in the dry in order to be competitive with other bikes on maximum power... the Ducati's maximum power delivery isn't to the taste of Hayden or Rossi... in the wet all the bikes are throttled back, softened for the more slippery conditions, so the power delivery is less of a problem.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

Nice!

Hedgey, that's a nice way of saying Florence is a softcock.

I concur!

Reply to this Topic
Ocdcbr

Jul 11

Ocdcbr says:

Alot is changed for the rain.

If u don't know that then u know nothing about bike racing. I'm no no it all like some if u seem to think u r but when it's wet all sorts of changes are made. Therefore a bike that performs well in the wet will not nececerilly do the same in the dry. No bobbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Reply to this Topic
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

Hey Bob after your suprisingly deluded rambling and conspiracy theories of yesterday I reckon you ain’t done yourself any favours at all. Any credibility went out the window I’m afraid after that one.
Of course Rossi is only a 9 time world champion because you turned down the many factory offers which your skills attracted and therefore you didn’t bother lining up against him. Isn’t that right mate?!

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

wet settings

None of the wet weather reasons seem to make sense as far as the Ducati is concerned

The problem with the power delivery, from what they've said, is coming off the throttle as that has been cited for pushing the bike wide in turns as it is too fierce (we can only imagine what it must be like...)  I can relate to that due to the difference cornering a 125cc 2-stroke MX bike on flat terrain (ie: no berms) compared to a 450 4-stroke. The 125 rails the turn easily as there is no power on small throttle openings, whereas the 450 has power right off tickover that comes in harder and this can push the bike wider in the turn.

If in the wet, Ducati can soften this abrupt power with the electronics to enable the bike to be ridden more easily and turn in with no problem, which it was obviously doing in Le Mans, then why can't they sort the power delivery out with the electronics in the dry? Why has it taken a new electronics package to achieve this which was only tested last week, therefore wasn't on the bike at Le Mans.

If the bike pushes wide in the dry because they can't damp the power delivery enough, it should be unrideable in the wet as you'd have to soften it much more than for the dry. The top end power doesn't play a part in cornering in either wet or dry.

None of it makes sense.

My money would be on the wet tyre compound suiting the Ducati more than the dry tyre compound.

Reply to this Topic
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

I agree with you Bulto – about the Duke in general. None of it makes sense!
Some of the best riders and engineers have worked and ridden the bike and the adjustments that work logically on other bikes just don’t seem to affect it in the same. It’s a mystery. Stoner was able to do better than anyone else on it no doubt but his time on it and with them now sounds just as frustrating, so god knows what the other Ducati riders thought.

Reply to this Topic
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

A lesson from Bob.

Stoner pulls the bike down to the curb and spins it up. Often mistaken by pinheads who see the telemetry trace and forget that the tyre is actually spinning and not popping on and off the TC. With the back end swinging out, the tyre is pushing the bike towards the apex and counteracting the centripital acceleration in much the same way a V8 sprintcar manages to get around an oval track so mind bendingly quick. Not always the quickest way around all types of corner but certainly keeps the engine in the meat of the power for better speed down the straight as witnessed by the difference in speeds of the ducs in the '07 season. Check his '06 speeds on the customer 990 as well! Interesting.

Clearly Flo hasn't got the spuds to try it and has said as much several times over the last 2 seasons. Unfortunate because it's not impossible to believe this could work on the current bike or why Stoner could win on it. It's already been softened several times and it's still too hard for the limp wristed Italian fk. Oh well, another couple million in the skip out the back of the Bolognese workshop!

Racingfan99, if you have any evidence to dispute my 'theories', then I'm happy to consider them. Being a Flossi tragic doesn't count. Broaden your mind and welcome reality my friend.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices