Skip to content

Ask an Expert advice on which bike to buy Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > advice on which bike to buy

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bigwadz

Jul 09

bigwadz says:

advice on which bike to buy

hey guys currently riding a gxsr 100 k5. im looking to change bike. im a big boy 6"3 and 18 stone and starting to hit the late 30s now lol

anyway im looking for something more comfy, to go touring, commuting every day all weather and something i can still have a sunday blast on. i got 10-15k to spend and narrowed down to Triumph Sprint GT, Duke Multistrada and the BMW line up. i have quite a bit of travelling to do for seperate test rides due to my location so hoping somebody out there can give sum advice.

thanks in advance

jimbo

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 June 2012 01:16)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

BMWM F800 S or ST

Maybe put a bigger screen on it for touring. apparently its very agile for an 800.

I was looking at one a while ago and they're very nice.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Bmws...

I suspect the F800S/St will be a bit slow and a bit physically small for you. They are a great bike, exceedingly cheap to run but I like mine because its easy to manage on the ground (I'm 5 foot 9) and its handling is so safe.
The R1200 engine is a bit of an acquired taste particularly for those expecting a multi cylinder power delivery you should take an extended test ride to see if you really like it (its a fast bike but there isn't a real kick it just goes faster as you rev it). You should have a look at the R1200GS (particularly the Adventure Model) and R1200RT. Incredibly good bikes. I rode a GS a few months back and was very taken. Good handling, great riding position, really easy feet up U turns. One weak point of the GS model appears to be its headlight (which is the same unit on the F800 too). The RT has no such problems havng twin H4s but might be a bit small? Have a look.
I like the look of the K1200/K1300 S & GT models and suspect you will find it closer to the level of performance you will accept. Never ridden one though.
When looking at BMWs consider carefully what options you have fitted and consider buying second hand if necessary. My F800S has all the options fitted (I bought it second hand like that) but the options I most like are the tyre pressure monitoring (which gives great reassurance after disappearing into yet another pot hole) and the BMW Heated Grips although the mpg computer appeals to the geek (Since a BMW is CanBus the wiring is much more discreet than on other bikes too...)
The Multistrada tested very well and will have a bit more performance than a GS. Similarly the Triumph Explorer is to my mind a very handsome bike and Honda have done a "Adventure" version of the VFR1200...
BTW Have you thought of a Busa? They are also quite big and roomy so many tour with them.
Andy.

Reply to this Topic
bigwadz

Jul 09

bigwadz says:

BMW

thanks for the response guys. i have herd mixed response regarding the BMW. so think im down to the triumph and ducati. never considered the busa as a tourer but will certainly take a look at it. appreciate the comments

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices