You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > MOD 1 myths

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gpx250rider

May 12

gpx250rider says:

MOD 1 myths

I just wanted to air my opinion on the mod 1 test . I took it yesterday and passed with no minors . I`m 41 and have ridden a yammy rxs 100 for a loooong time.

Firstly I want to talk about the myth that the swerve test is putting people in a dangerous situation . When I did mine yesterday , I went through at 51 kph and it was HEAVING it down with rain . I didnt feel at all in danger or feel as if I was being asked to do something that would end up with me being hurt. The swerve test is SAFE ! It`s just a question of control. There are FAR more dangerous situation out on the road . I`m sure most of us come across them every day . I know I do .

Secondly I was to dispel the myth that you can`t do it on a 125. You can , I`m 6` 8" tall and weigh just under 18 st . I did the emergency stop at 54 and the swerve at 51 so to say it`s hard is nonsense . Just give it the beans as you come out of the bend no need to go silly round the bend at all . (ybr 125)

I just wanted to say this for all the people that are reading such garbage on the internet from people who have failed or fallen off due to their own lack of skills . It`s not a hard test and you shouldn't be afraid of the swerve it`s peasy !!!

DONT let your instructor put you in for this test too early . If you have been on a bike only for a week in your life the chances are you will fail. Use your CBT as it`s meant to be used . As a STEP to getting your full licence . Ride for a year and THEN go for the test and you will pass it first time GUARANTEED ! If you dont , then I would suggest you stay on a smaller bike .

Happy riding !!

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 June 2012 12:04)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

swerve test

You should NOT swerve AND brake on a bike on the road in an emergency situation. You should do one OR the other.

It takes an inordinate amount of skill (and maybe some luck) to do it in an emergency.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

^^^^

agreed, the very reason ABS is of minimal use to the biker.

Reply to this Topic
gpx250rider

May 12

gpx250rider says:

swerve test

You dont brake at all through a swerve but you use engine braking . I used it this morning as a blind woman was edging out of her parking spot facing the wrong way on the left side of the road . I was in position 3 but she still managed to not see me so I had to swerve her as she pulled out . I could see it happening a long way from it so I was ready for it . Emergencies shouldn`t happen "just like that " you should have seen the POTENTIAL emergency coming if you are riding defensively and have planned for it . The swerve is a great tool to have . It doesn't take an inordinate about of skill at all it just takes constant forward planning . If don't have time to swerve round a hazard then you weren`t planning far enough ahead or you are riding too fast for the conditions . If you are doing 60 on a country lane and a deer jumps out on you then you dont stand a chance no matter what you do , but in an urban situation you should be 100% able to swerve / avoid / stop for anything that may happen because you should be planning for it .

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

There

are always hazards which are unpredictable however much you plan for it (its impossible to describe every situation here, as each situation is different), and which can cause a rider to panic. Panicking usually means grabbing a handful of front brake (and possibly clutch, thus wiping out engine braking).

Often (but not always) its simpler (and safer) to lean the bike further than to brake heavily (dependent on the surface conditions and your speed and the distance from the hazard) - leaning asks less of your tyre grip than braking.

As for the car edging out of the parking spot (or cars at junctions waiting to pull out), dependent on the traffic conditions, one option may be to slow down (or even stop) and let them go anyway - that way they can't just randomly pull out 2 foot in front of you as some of them do.

KNOWING what you should do in a tricky situation is one thing - actually being able to do it when things go wrong (and possibly "target fixated") is something else altogether.

Reply to this Topic
gpx250rider

May 12

gpx250rider says:

swerve test

I disagree with a lot of that . I`ve been riding getting on 25 years and have never panicked on a bike ever. I`ve never been in a situation I couldn't get out of safely . I`ve never fallen off and i`ve never been hit. I have always ridden within the realms of the law and I have always ridden defensively . I ride progressively but with in the speed limit and plan well ahead . You can ride like this , many riders simply choose not too . I`m not trying to blow my own trumpet here , or dis other riders we are all part of a growing family . I`m not saying I have ridden like that always but I have since 1997 . I lost a dear friend to a bike . He was hit by a car , had he ridden as he was taught he would still be alive today . I intend to ride to the best of my ability and encourage others to do the same . If you choose to ride aggressively then that's your downfall . but I guarantee you that 90% of accidents are avoidable . I haven`t had an accident because i`m careful . Not because i`m lucky.

The swerve test ( which is the subject of the thread) goes a long way to weeding out these idiot riders that just want to thrash around on a bike and cause nothing but annoyance to other road users . Simply because most of them can`t ride for toffee so they can`t pass the test . If you scan the internet for about 15 mins you`ll find many of them crying about the test being "dangerous " (what they mean of course is "too hard" for them )

Also you never lean when you swerve . It`s too slow. You must use counter steering . A slight downward push on the handle bar on the side you want to travel and keep sitting up straight . If you try and lean round something quickly the chances are you will hit it . Use you hips to keep your balance and simple counter steer round the object . It`s very well explained here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEKdFNpsz48

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Lil125Guy

Oct 11

Lil125Guy says:

I'm doing it

on my 125 and have practised on cones and you're right, it really isn't to hard :wacko:

Thing with the swerve is I found it much easier to put a bit of back brake in whilst doing the swerve which felt fine or is that a fail?

Reply to this Topic
gpx250rider

May 12

gpx250rider says:

swerve test

You definitely don't want to brake at ALL through the swerve , It`s not a fail but if you accidentally lock it up you`ll hit the ground . Just gun it out of the bend . knock the power off about 2 meters BEFORE the speed trap you`ll carry enough speed through the speed trap and then counter steer round the cone . I found that if I kept the power on until after the speed trap I got closer to the cones . If you get a chance to practise on the MMA your instructor will let you know the best method of attack for you . Everyone rides slightly differently so you are best just to listen to him . You`ll be fine mate !!

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Hazard avoidance

to give it it's official name, is like the fella says, a piece of p!ss..........:winkie:

Ride around the circuit in 2nd gear (whether 125 or DAS bike), after the turn accelerate hard upto speed trap then close throttle completely. Now apply pressure to handlebar on one side and then the other to swerve (counter steering). As you pass through the blue cones you will have dropped about 5mph due to engine braking and have 30m left in which to stop the bike.Simples!! At no point in this exercise is it necessary to swerve AND brake at the same time. The whole point of this is to learn what to do in the case of some twat opening a car door in front of you. Even with a safe gap to your left you will react and so learning this will make you likely to react with safe control and not panic braking and crash.:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
banditman2010

Jan 11

mmmmmm

i think it is dangerous all though i did pass flying coulors in my mod 1. when i did my swerve test i didnt skidd but by god my hart was racing as the examiner whas stood there at the point off whare you are not serpose to be, i think its dangorous for them to be stood there if id off been 3mph faster i reckon i would of wiped her out as there is no maximum speed set only a minimum, its the scootor boys that are having the problem off getting the speed and then there to bizzy keeping there mind on it that normal commen sence gets a miss and causes panic on the swerve,,, i had a accident in 2010 and theres one thing that makes the swerve test so dangerous is the fact that thinking distance does not come into the aquasion whats so ever becouse you dont need thinking distance on the swerve test. so when the car pulled out on me 123 bang i didnt get chance to break and i was only doing 28mph so by time i came to think about swerving game over so to me its very very dangerous if they had a cardbourd car hidden behind a 10ft cardbourd wall pushed the card bourd car out on the swerve test experianced or not by time thinking distance is covered you will have hit the card bourd car wether you been riding 0 years or 20 years you will hit it:upset:

Reply to this Topic
banditman2010

Jan 11

you dont swerve and break

at the same time the test is to swerve out of the path of the vehcle thats pulled out then break in a straight line they are not teaching to swearve and break at the same time you swerve around the cones that are meant to be the car once you have swerved around the cones then you break, before you hit the examiner that is

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices