You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Suspension > Track handling problem

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ianp5uk

Aug 07

ianp5uk says:

Track handling problem

I have a CBR600FV I'm learning to track ride on. I have noticed a behaviour when exiting turns hard. When I get on the throttle hard while still leant over a lot I get a wavering feeling from the back. It's as if the swingarm has suddenly developed a lot of flex and is gently swaying from side to side, which is half up and down as the bike is leant over. It's quite a slow movement maybe 3 to 4 times a sec. If I ease off the throttle a little or reduce lean a little it goes away. It doesn't feel that bad but being inexperienced I am not sure if it's a warning or just a bad behaviour that can be tuned out. I can't detect any play in the swingarm or wheel bearings. At the moment I am treating it as a warning and not pushing harder but wondered if it just means wrong tyre pressures or damper settings etc.

Advice?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (04 June 2012 16:33)

Post a message in Suspension

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

sounds like a dodgy suspension damper to me...

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

"get on the throttle HARD while still leant over"

a wandering back end might well be a warning

Do you mean what you say?  If you really pull any lean you need to roll it back on sympathetically to the grip, surely getting hard on the throttle comes later when more upright?  Have you ridden with a tutor or someone experienced following you?

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

BBS i thought that as well but asked myself.. would anyone really smack the power on when the bike is right over??  if u are doing this ianp5uk.. wait untill u are coming out of the corner and the bikes is sat up a bit..  best way i have found of testing a suspension damper is to get someone on the back and go for a little gentle ride.. if its bouncy as f**k, the dampers is goosed..although you do normally notice a fluid leak first...

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

There could be many factors that are giving you that feeling, whether it be one doing it alone, or a few factors working together to give that sensation.

The best thing to do on your next track day is to get an instructor to follow you around. Tell him what you are feeling and where and let him look at what is happening.

It could be poor set up, as in the shock is too soft etc. Wrong tyre pressures, the tyres themselves. there are far to many variables for any one to comment on here as to what it is that is happening.

It could be the fact that you are getting a warning..... but there again, what sort of pace are you running at. If you are way off a race pace then I doubt you are on the limits unless you are doing something wrong regarding riding the bike.

Proper race orientated tyres these days will give enough grip for you to crack the throttle with big lean on.

But like I said. Without knowing set up, riding style and times, its impossible to say what is happening.

Let us know if you figure it out.

Reply to this Topic
ianp5uk

Aug 07

ianp5uk says:

Track handling problem

I doubt it's a dodgy damper, it's a brand new Nitron race unit sprung and set for me. The tyres are Dunlop D211's at the recommended pressures (cold); 29F/19R. Tyres are in good nick. My pace is ok, I run in the intermediate groups and around mid field. I'd say only a few pass me through the turns but I have a slow bike and I'm a big guy so get eaten up on the straights - this prompts me to open the throttle harder and earlier on turn exits to try and grab a lead onto the straight. I don't snatch it open but I do try and get it on quite fast. The bike handles nicely up to the point the strange weave occurs. At a little less angle hitting throttle hard or closing suddenly merely causes a rotation to oversteer which is what you'd expect I assume? But track riding is new to me so I don't what should happen or what to expect in general and specifically from a steelie CBR

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

I raced a steely framed CBR6 last year. Had no issues to make me worry tbh. I would get a slight 'weave' out of the rear tyre getting on the gas hard, but thats expected and to me, it was just letting me know what it was doing.....

Although. The tyre pressure at 19 in the rear does seem to be a bit low. Maybe upping the pressure would give a better feeling???

Reply to this Topic
ianp5uk

Aug 07

ianp5uk says:

CBR600FV handling

Thanks.

I'll try experimenting with a touch higher pressure and if not a tad more damping.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices