Skip to content

Discuss This Dani Pedrosa blasts front tyre change MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Dani Pedrosa blasts front tyre change

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Dani Pedrosa blasts front tyre change

Dani Pedrosa has launched a scathing attack on the decision to introduce a new softer construction Bridgestone front tyre from the British Grand Prix onwards. Pedrosa and Repsol Honda team-mate Casey Stoner are the only two struggling to make the new softer front tyre work having encountered an issue with braking stability. A limited number of the new front tyre was made...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (05 June 2012 12:28)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
YamahaRacer

May 12

YamahaRacer says:

The organisers of MotoGP are a big joke they can not stand up to Bridgestone is it any wonder why one of the best riders has opted to quit at the end of the season ITS A DISGRACE A FECKIN DISGRACE.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Bad smell rising

Cheers Benny - something isn't right here and I thought it might be something for discussion

I don't know the arrangements in place for tyre supply by Bridgestone, but I can't see the contract allowing them to just introduce different spec tyres when they feel like it. They went all through last season with the dangerous front tyre that caused so many front end losses, so you would think that if they had autonomy over tyre specs they would have introduced a new one then, on the grounds of safety. I'd guess that Dorna are pulling the strings when it comes to tyre specs.

Which begs another question - I thought Dorna were the commercial rights holder, responsible for promoting the sport and selling broadcasting rights etc. NOT rule makers. What the frigging hell are the FIM doing about all this, or don't they get a say any more.

What would be interesting to know is who exactly, Bridgestone take their feedback from in terms of tyre behaviour and construction. They obviously aren't listening to Honda and taking their requirements into account. Neither are Dorna. The whole point of all the recent rule changes, starting with the control tyre, was to save costs. Now we have manufacturers spending millions on chsssis design, development and modification, just to make their bikes work with a particular tyre. When the control tyre came in I thought it a good idea because of what happened previously with Rossi getting his own tyres flown in for th race and satellite teams being given low spec tyres. I'm not an engineer so didn't realise how differently different bikes would perform on the same tyre. The cost in terms of bike development must have far outweighed what manufacturing different spec tyres would have cost.

What is Capirossi saying about all this. He is supposed to be the voice of the riders and offer Bridgestone feedback from the riders' perspective. He should be hammering Dorna and Bridgestone's doors down to make it plainly obvious that what is going on is not acceptable.

The season is being wrecked by politics and rule changes which may or may not be intended to impair one team and favour another. This is nothing to do with favourite riders, no matter who your favoured rider is, this meddling (manipulation of the series?) is not acceptable. We want to see the best riders in the world go out and ring the frigging necks off their bikes from start to finish. Not have to behave like they are on an economy run.

Tyre management is for private car owners - not Motogp. Let the teams have their own spec tyre but control it so that there is no favouritism and no single rider gains unfair advantage

Come on Capirossi - do your job.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

To me Pedrosa is being a cock, and a transparent one at that. Early this season it was clear that Lorenzo, Stoner and Pedrosa were having fewer problems with the front tyre than the rest. Yes I know Stoner claimed he was having problems with front end chatter in the first couple of rounds, but his times didn't support these claims. Pedrosa's complaints seem to be largely caused by a fear that a new tyre will take away this advantage. Bridgestone have clearly reacted to complaints throughout winter testing and the early rounds by introducing a new front tyre. That they have introduced the tyre progressively shows that they are considering the need of the teams and riders to adapt to the new contstruction. It's clear this new tyre was needed otherwise why were the majority of riders complaining about the old one? Seems as far as Pedrosa is concerned Bridgestone are caught between a rock and a hard place.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Bultoboy

The arrangement between Dorna and the FIM is well publicised, if you don't know how it works where have you been? That question would be like an F1 fan questioning the relationship between Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA. Just in case you don't know the rules are ratified by the Grand Prix Commission made up, the last time I checked, of Ignacio Verneda, Carmelo Ezpeleta, Herve Poncharal and Takanao Tsubouchi. IOW the FIM, Dorna, IRTA and the MSMA all get and equal say in the rules. Which seems pretty fair to me.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

all get and equal say in the rules. Which seems pretty fair to me.

Yeah right. Decisions are made by those who have a vested interest in making the largest pile of money they can out of it. If you doubt rule bending and manipulation goes on, look back to when Bridgestone had about 40 personnel stationed at Ferrari - when the tyres were supposed be developed equally for all teams - no end of rule bending went on to ensure the Schumacher/Ferrari cash-cow stayed at the top of F1. A successful Ferrari were good for cash-flow and there is nothing Ecclestone loves more.

How can you say that about Pedrosa. Take away what advantage? Both Pedrosa and Stoner have had chatter problems from pre-season testing. What advantage has he had? Give one example of a rider complaining about the tyres over testing or in the early races this season. That's the point the riders are making - no-one has complained so why a new tyre.

This tyre has been introduced for a reason - safety isn't that reason.

Reply to this Topic
motoking

Jul 11

motoking says:

ASSPELATA

IF MOTOGP WANTS TO IMPROVE AGAIN, START WITH KICK ASSPELATA OUT OF MOTOGP BOARD!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
maazzz1

Aug 10

maazzz1 says:

Wosi, are they orange panties??

Your Honda conspiracy theory might be the case, and like them or hate them all of the rule changes you list occurred the season prior to their introduction allowing the manufacturers time to adapt. Some to walk away from the sport. I do not think the 6 engine rule or 21 litre fuel capacity are bad for the sport. They are calling on designers to factor in greater reliability and fuel efficiency… the changes to 4 strokes was also a good call. No 2 strokes on the market for some time, actually they are illegal and being phased out of road circulation in most western countries. The big balls up was going from the 1000 to 800 (in the interest of safety) and then back again in a short period of time. Going to 800 was the end of Kawasaki and back to 1000 Suzuki. Be careful Wosi, your 2nd paragraph sounds like something Stoner would write. Are you are kicking with both feet now? There is an orange thong somewhere in your panty drawer. Go on admit it! Anyway I digress.

The issue isn’t that Bridgestone has updated their tyre in the interest of safety(???), the issue is the timing and the ruling that from the next race on, the old spec will no longer be available. Which will put two of the pre season favourites clearly in a position of greater difficulty. The teams have had some time to adapt. But in Repsol’s case it will not be long enough. To make it even more ridiculous they will not be available to them for the test at Aragon, however they were able to supply 15 of the 21 riders the new spec tyre for the race at Catalunya including practice and qualifying??? Seems odd to me – “sorry Repsol, we are unable to supply you the new spec tyres you have to race with at Silverstone for the test at Aragon because... ummmm we do not have enough???” It’s a piss take! Of course Repsol, Abraham, De Puniet, Espagaro and Pasini preferred not to use the tyre from day one, which would also implies that not everyone bar Repsol likes the update.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
petedj

Jan 11

petedj says:

Tyre change.

Time to ditch the control / single make tyre rule. A bespoke tyre from one of the other manufacturers could sort out chatter and handling problems for a lot of teams.

Reply to this Topic
YamahaRacer

May 12

YamahaRacer says:

Well Honda aren't even taking part in todays one day test at Aragon as a result of this stupid rule.

Reply to this Topic
Nucci

Oct 05

Nucci says:

Do people realise that this Aragon test was announced four weeks ago, hence the new front tyres couldnt be made and delivered in time? And the Repsol Honda riders have had access to this tyre for the last four rounds so there is no question of favouring a particular team or rider. But please, go on with your conspiracy theories if it makes you feel better!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices