You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Gear change noise

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

33kerryhouse

Apr 12

33kerryhouse says:

Gear change noise

Sometimes when I change gear my bike makes very loud noise and the gear does not seem to be working(as if teh bike were in neutral). Then i normally have to press the gear pedal again and everyhthing is fine. ALthough it doesnt happen frequently I am concerned that It might cause some trouble. Any ideas whats causing this? 

Honda CBR 125RS 5

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 June 2012 11:56)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda CBR 125RS 2005

Hi 33kerryhouse

Not being able to hear the noise or feel what is happening its hard to say (what sound does it make?),but it could be the beginning of clutch slip?.When was the oil last changed,how many miles ago?and what is the mileage of the bike now?

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Gear change

KCMC is usally on the ball with these things but it could also be that you either have a poorly adjusted gear lever or that you are just not hooking it up properly on occasions.     

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

no gear

I sometimes (rarely) find a false neutral when tender foot,are you wearing thick soles or steel toe caps? 

Reply to this Topic
33kerryhouse

Apr 12

33kerryhouse says:

@kcmc

I changed oil about 3000 miles ago and topped it up once after that. I checked the oil couple of days back but it seemed to be clear enough for me. Dont know if i should changed it any way. The bike has now done 9300 miles. 

Reply to this Topic
33kerryhouse

Apr 12

33kerryhouse says:

@jaffa90

I wear think rubber soles. But I dont really think its because I might not be pushing the pedal hard enough..

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

we all hit false neutrals now and again.. (apart from me of course :lol: ) pull the clutch right in and lift the gear in with confidence...

Reply to this Topic
zx12rbadassisnowzx6rbadass

Sep 11

my bike

has a very re assuring clunk when it goes into gear footwear is a biggie riding with your average pair of nike air max will not aid you in any way a good solid pair of boots is key, i have rode a few cbr 125s and they dont have the best gear boxes,as said before change gear with confidence:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Varies

Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha - hobnail boots and plenty of clutch.

Suzuki, deft touch with a thin racing sole.

Seriously, we've all had boxes with a false neutral or two (big bang - is it in yet, skyward revs say no), but you learn to ride around it.  It's harder if the external linkages aren't well lubed too, but even with slick linkages Honda's 125s can be a bit stubborn...

Is there the correct amount of slack in the chain?  Very important for slick changes, and preventing wear.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda CBR 125RS 2005

Hi again Kerry

Your bike has only done 9300 miles in 7 years wow good buy that's only about 1300 a year :smile

The thing is your problem could well be a combination of all that has been posted on this thread(and probably is)but without going to dig a manual out i think Honda recommend changing the oil on your bike ever 1700 kilometers which relates to about a 1000 miles,this is due to the engine only having about a 1lite of engine oil and only a mesh gorse type oil strainer not a oil filter(mesh gorse should be cleaned at 10,000 miles).And in the CBRs case it doesn't even have the old style centrifugal type oil filter,so the oil should be changed ever 1000 or so miles(not a lot of people do) but i think 3000miles is on its limit and although the oil may look quite clean it will be breaking down with there being so little of it to do the job.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda CBR 125RS 2005

as you can see the oil strainer is just under the oil pump and that's the clutch next to it,so you will need a clutch case gasket if your going to clean the mesh filter yourself,as your bike is now coming up to 10,000 miles and should be cleaned.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices